Regenerative Braking Capacity

Discussion in 'Tech: Batteries, Charging, Alternative Energy' started by Aslan, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
    Only the roadway flyovers. I'm in south Florida, and the land is flat as a pancake within a 100-mile radius of my house.

2. ajdelange

ajdelange Active Member

First Name:
    A. J.
    Vehicles:
    Tesla X 100D 2018
    If you live in a flat place there is no need for regenerative braking or, indeed, any other kind. The car will slow down from drag and rolling resistance if no power is supplied to the wheels. All you have to do is take your foot off the accelerator at a point at the appropriate distance from where you wish to stop and the car will smoothly decelerate to 0 speed at that spot. Unless you have a tail wind...

3. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
    Jeez, I'd hate to get caught driving behind that guy.;)

Nordic, cllc, skyote and 1 other person like this.
  4. ajdelange

ajdelange Active Member

First Name:
    A. J.
    Vehicles:
    Tesla X 100D 2018
    When gas was over $3 lots of drivers engaged in "hypermileing" the fundamental part of which is keeping one's feet off the pedals. This implies gradual coasting up to stop signs and lights as well as minimal acceleration when departing same. This did indeed lead to a fair amount of grumbling from other drivers.

5. jimcgov3

jimcgov3 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    2016 Chevy Spark EV, Rivian R1T Reservation Holder
    I see that humorous posts are also discouraged. If you would be so kind as to point me to a YouTube video or a website that explains the math side of this, I would greatly appreciate it. I will continue with the witty banter though...No point in being serious all the time.

skyote likes this.
  6. ajdelange

ajdelange Active Member

First Name:
    A. J.
    Vehicles:
    Tesla X 100D 2018
    I hope humorous posts are not discouraged here because i absolutely agree that putting a little humor into these posts is a great idea. I have also found over the years that it helps people remember what it is I am trying to get across. In case you missed it "FM" is navy slang. "M" stands for "magic".

As to the math aspects of regenerative braking the Wikipedia article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regenerative_brake might be a good place to start. Where you go from there will depend on how deep you want to dig. Full appreciation will require basic knowledge of engineering and/or physics. If you have a background in those you will be fine. If you don't it isn't likely that you will want to undertake to obtain one but lots of non technical people do become technically versed in some aspect of technology if they have an interest or need. Math isn't the only way to understand these things. I always used to immensely enjoy observing two guys I knew work together on the same problem. One was a PHD and the other an HSG (high school graduate). Both very bright guys.

7. godfodder0901

godfodder0901 Active Member

First Name:
    Jared
    Vehicles:
    Honda Civic
    I'm retired Navy, and we always added a "P" (pure) in front of that to make it PFM.

8. cllc

cllc Member

First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicles:
    Tesla model 3, Subaru Forrester, Ford F250 Superduty
    Electrician
    You Gotter Otter.