R1T and the Forthcoming Tesla Pickup

Discussion in 'R1T Pickup Discussions' started by Whmorken, Apr 23, 2019.

1. ElectricTrucking

ElectricTrucking Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Porsche 911
    If the R1T is too costly the ford Ranger electric will soon follow. Ford isn't in it for nothing.

2. jimcgov3

jimcgov3 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    2016 Chevy Spark EV, Rivian R1T Reservation Holder
    #22 jimcgov3, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    The Ford F-150s that you are referring to were Rivian skateboards with F-150 bodies. Ford isn't as close as you think. Rivians disguised as Fords so they could easily test their drivetrain without question...until someone started taking pictures of an F-150 plugged in with no exhaust. I agree with EyeOnRivian line for line. I would love a Tesla pickup but consider a few extra things. The Model 3 was revealed as the $35,000 EV to rule them all. It took over 2 years to get to the point where ANYONE could buy the $35,000 M3...They sold it for I think 3 weeks before they stopped. I hope this happens but just realize that a $49,000 Tesla Truck is going to happen well after the $70,000+ model is released...upwards of 2 to 3 years after initlal release.

EyeOnRivian likes this.
  3. ElectricTrucking

Vehicles:
    Porsche 911
    My comment was towards Ford's investment in Rivian not the f-150 Rivian has been using as a body to test the platform. My comment has no reference to the Ford f-150. I used the Ranger as an example as to what may be on a Rivian platform in the future. As I said Ford isn't handing Rivian 500 million dollars for nothing. Ford is no where near electric. That is why they invested in Rivian.

4. azjohnny

azjohnny Active Member

First Name:
    john
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model S 100D Toyota Tundra
    completely agree! my guess is Ford will put an F150 body on the skateboard since it is the same wheel base as the Rivian truck in the beginning and go from there. It will be a very interesting 2 years to see how things turn out

5. jimcgov3

jimcgov3 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    2016 Chevy Spark EV, Rivian R1T Reservation Holder
    My comment wasn't directed at you. My quote button didn't work last night. It was directed at DocTwinkie. No need to feel it as an attack onanyone at any point as well.

6. ElectricTrucking

Vehicles:
    Porsche 911
    Thanks for the response jimcgov3, reading between the lines is a downside of forums. Have a good day.

7. Whmorken

Whmorken Member

First Name:
    Hubert
    Vehicles:
    Tesla 3. Toyota Sequoia

8. Whmorken

Whmorken Member

First Name:
    Hubert
    Vehicles:
    Tesla 3. Toyota Sequoia
    For all of us who have pre-ordered the R1T, and for others interested, the discussion about electric pickups helps us make decisions as early as this summer. My preference for the R1T rests on its unique off-road capabilities that I do not think can be duplicated or surpassed by other companies for years. On highway performance is another matter altogether, because Tesla, for example, with its depth of experience and commitment to producing trucks including semis, is coming on strong, and so is Ford. The pickup war is here, on pavement, but in the dirt who can match Rivian or even compete? This is a fun time to have such choices to consider.

jimcgov3 likes this.