R1T and the Forthcoming Tesla Pickup

Discussion in 'R1T Pickup Discussions' started by Whmorken, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Whmorken

Whmorken Member

First Name:
    Hubert
    Vehicles:
    Tesla 3. Toyota Sequoia
    As the launch date of the Tesla pickup comes ever closer what new information is there on its specs? How does it compare to the Rivian alternative we are so excited to see produced in 2020? Are they even comparable or are Rivian and Tesla pickups so different that they are entirely different classes of vehicle? Curious!

Jazzyjeff139 likes this.
  2. JeffOutWest

JeffOutWest Active Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicles:
    Tacoma, Wrangler
    I'm also curious about the specs on the Tesla. I imagine if Tesla wasn't thinking of orienting it as off-road capable, they must be pissed now!

3. Whmorken

Whmorken Member

First Name:
    Hubert
    Vehicles:
    Tesla 3. Toyota Sequoia
    Jeff: I agree. Off-road & On-road excellence, two sides of same coin. Go Rivian, let everyone follow the R1T if they haven’t figured this out.

4. JeffOutWest

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicles:
    Tacoma, Wrangler
    I agree - I think Rivian is the one to beat. My only hesitation is price.

5. Whmorken

Whmorken Member

First Name:
    Hubert
    Vehicles:
    Tesla 3. Toyota Sequoia
    P. S. Ford, for one, is awake to the high stakes in the EV pick-up race.

6. JeffOutWest

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicles:
    Tacoma, Wrangler
    I think GM is waking up too. It would be nice to see a lot of good competition driving product and price.

7. Whmorken

Whmorken Member

First Name:
    Hubert
    Vehicles:
    Tesla 3. Toyota Sequoia
    Jeff: I suspect Rivian is on top of the price issue if it’s less costly vehicles follow on quickly after the R1T and R1S; and if there are stripped down versions with less luxury non-essential stuff. However, the core of the technology platform, the skateboard and self-driving feature — we know is costly the first time around, regrettably but necessarily. Am I right?

8. Whmorken

Whmorken Member

First Name:
    Hubert
    Vehicles:
    Tesla 3. Toyota Sequoia
    Good point given todays GMC news. They did need to say something given Ford’s actions. I sure hope they catch the bus before it’s too late.

9. JeffOutWest

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicles:
    Tacoma, Wrangler
    I agree, in fact I think the price/technology curve might be more like the semiconductor industry, because the battery tech may develop more similarly in that case, and the other stuff - tech features, infotainment - are literally semiconductor platforms.. In any case, the price will come down, and there will be "less featured" versions at lower prices as well. But the question is, can anyone NOT get a 750hp 300-400 mile truck when one is available? :p

skyote likes this.
  10. Whmorken

Whmorken Member

First Name:
    Hubert
    Vehicles:
    Tesla 3. Toyota Sequoia
    Jeff: I especially love your ending, “can anyone NOT get...”. Such careful preparation and innovation over 8 years of undercover R & D not only will “pay-off” for Rivian but for all pick-up and SUV owners, sooner and later — and I live in the middle of Rocky Mountain all wheel/4 wheel drive country where such vehicles (though the be ICE powered) DOMINATE the market, the roads, and the dirt. In fact, our little town, Park City, is adding 100 more chargers and I hear a 3rd level Tesla Supercharger, this year alone. Here we go...

Jazzyjeff139 and skyote like this.
  11. JeffOutWest

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicles:
    Tacoma, Wrangler
    Agreed... I pulled up a map of chargers for the first time a few nights ago, was impressed that with 300 miles of range I could make do with anything I could foreseeably need to do...

12. Whmorken

Whmorken Member

First Name:
    Hubert
    Vehicles:
    Tesla 3. Toyota Sequoia
    Can’t beat that convenience. We visited all the Superchargers within a 100 miles of us, north, south, east, and west to make sure we had what we needed for trips up to 350 miles from here, eg., Jackson, WY, where we went a week ago, Quick charging, 45 minutes Is common, and much quicker coming. We leave about 40 miles in the battery for a margin error.

13. JeffOutWest

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicles:
    Tacoma, Wrangler
    400 miles is great.. 300 is probably sufficient for me. Even 230 is okay, but 300 feels a lot better....

14. Alan Burns

Alan Burns Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alan
    Vehicles:
    2016 GMC Terrain, 1967 Chevrolet 1/2 ton p/u
    I want 400 mile range for living in the rural Rocky Mountain west. I do not need push button tonneau tops and powered tailgates. I am sure there is more high priced glitz I am not interested in nor power controlled features I can handle just as well manually.

I don't like the idea I will be held hostage to add electrically controlled bling by the the power package I feel I need.

15. azjohnny

azjohnny Active Member

First Name:
    john
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model S 100D Toyota Tundra
    If you are planning on towing get the 180 kw pack

16. azjohnny

azjohnny Active Member

First Name:
    john
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model S 100D Toyota Tundra
    In the Tesla shareholders meeting today Elon was asked how much the Tesla Truck will be able to tow and he replied with equal or exceed an F150

17. DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie Well-Known Member

First Name:
    George
    Vehicles:
    2019 Acura RDX, 2014 Volvo XC60
    All comes down to price. I’m sure Tesla can do an adjustable suspension for ground clearance. If they can undercut the price (which Musk is claiming) then they have a real competition going down.

Rivian might have the off road chops. But Tesla has a reputation and supercharger network. So if Tesla beats the price hard like musk is saying then I see them winning the war. That said the modularity of the Rivian means they will continue to sell their chassis to fleets and others so they will be fine as a company.

18. skyote

skyote Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
    I'm equally interested to hear what both Tesla (summer unveiling) & Ford have in store in the electric truck space.

19. DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie Well-Known Member

First Name:
    George
    Vehicles:
    2019 Acura RDX, 2014 Volvo XC60
    I’m less interested in Ford since they have said they are using their own electric platform (at least initially) for the f150. Since signing with Rivian I suspect the first gen electric f150 will be short lived.

They already have test mules out that are before the Rivian partnership so I doubt they will change course now.

20. EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T
    The very, very little we "officially" know about the Tesla pickup, any comparison to Rivian or any other pickup for that matter is complete folly. I believe during the Model 3 unveiling Tesla revealed the only rendering to date of their pickup ... and it would be a monster of a vehicle with the bed big enough to hold a regular size pickup. How is that even comparable to someone in the pickup market, let alone a Rivian pickup? It certainly would not be able to fit in the common sized garage. Even Elon himself has said their pickup will have “really futuristic-like cyberpunk Blade Runner’ design.” Again, I don't see how this competes with the Rivian or any other pickup. For those where it ALL comes down to price, that's fine, but that clearly says to me there is very little concern about the features, options AND intent/market for that vehicle, and as such, you might as well go buy a Smartcar or Leaf.

Jazzyjeff139 likes this.