R1T $69,000 starting price - opinions

Discussion in 'Ordering, Pricing, Delivery' started by RivMan, Dec 11, 2018.

1. LionLeo

LionLeo Member

First Name:
    Charlie
    Vehicles:
    Ford F-150
    I'm in the same boat as a lot of people seem to be. I'm looking forward to hearing about what features are included and what are part of add-on options/trim levels before making any judgement on value-for-money.

This is shaping up to be my dream truck but is at the very top-end of what I might be able to afford for a vehicle (at the lowest expected price). If I could get my hands on one, the mid-range battery sounds perfect for my needs (regular commuting + occasional long-range casual road trips), but for $80k possibly on a 'base model' with limited features that unfortunately puts me out.

Hopefully these types of vehicles continue to gain momentum and get to the point where they're more affordable for the average person.

DocTwinkie likes this.
  2. DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie Active Member

First Name:
    George
    Vehicles:
    2019 Acura RDX, 2014 Volvo XC60
    It’s really weird. I have bought fully loaded vehicles since I got my first job as a doc. I had a fully loaded 2007 RDX which I think was like high 30s low 40s. My wife got her fully loaded Infiniti for sub 50. My current xc60 fully loaded was 50. My wife’s fully loaded 2019 RDX was sub 50.

Even my parents X5 was in the 60s.

Tesla kinda started this whole exotic pricing scheme where you’re paying AMG type near supercar prices.

Before the Rivian I was considering several models that are 50-80k as my midlife treat for getting my weight down (50lbs down and 100 to go).

So this idea that now base prices of cars start near the top of my range and that fully loaded represent a quarter of the cost of my house is getting a bit insane.

It’s not that the other end stopped existing. My wife’s RDX has everything you could want (except electric) and maxed out at 48 sticker.

Even on the electric front a kona is dirt cheap by comparison. For the price of one Rivian at base price I can buy two fully loaded Electric Konas with money left over.

It’s kinda the head or the heart deal. The Rivian really makes zero sense for the price in any practical argument, but I still want one and if it’s reasonable still might get one. But there will be a lot of options to consider when it finally releases.

I personally think that if the wrangler has decent all electric range I will probably go that route.

3. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
    Same here. I bought my Tesla because I'm a bit of a techno-freak and just wanted to try a new automotive technology. In no time I was completely addicted to the power and smoothness of the powertrain (and to regenerative braking) and will never be without an EV again, even though I keep an ICE minivan for certain purposes.

I traded an Audi R8 V-10 Spyder for the Tesla, and I have owned a Corvette and a Mercedes SL55 AMG. I though I knew what strong power delivery felt like in a car, but I knew nothing until I got the Tesla Performance model. I cannot even imagine what their new Roadster is going to feel like.

Although it was not a factor in my decision to buy an EV, the fuel cost savings have astonished me. My electric bill went up far less than my gas bill came down.

skyote likes this.
  4. GJMOH

GJMOH Member

Vehicles:
    2008 Lamdcruiser, 2014 Corvette
    If I can get a very well equipped mid range battery RT1 under 100k I’ll be happy.

SpinDoc7 likes this.
  5. Cardiffarian

Cardiffarian Member

First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicles:
    Tesla M3; Jag F Pace; ‘66 Bronco
    That’s about $20K more than what would make me tap out :)

SpinDoc7 likes this.
  6. DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie Active Member

First Name:
    George
    Vehicles:
    2019 Acura RDX, 2014 Volvo XC60

After the event I think I’m tapped out. What I saw was amazing, but so is a Lamborghini. I have no idea who they think this car is for. The outdoor enthusiast who has a business doing construction work and will benefit from using their air tools and also has an income so disposable a 100k truck is a viable option. It’s an amazing machine. No doubt. I just don’t think there is a big market for it. When Audi, Benz, Jag, and BMW are all in the game.

SpinDoc7 likes this.
  7. Cardiffarian

Cardiffarian Member

First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicles:
    Tesla M3; Jag F Pace; ‘66 Bronco
    I’m with you, DocTwinkie. The price point is everything. The standard equipment is everything. And the reason everything is everything is because the value (to me) is in its awesomeness, not in its utility. Light duty at best, because it will become my baby and shall never break or get a scratch. If a well appointed mid level comes in at
    $80 plus, I would have to decline and wait for something else. I would be sad, but still have my dignity.

SpinDoc7 likes this.
  8. GJMOH

GJMOH Member

Vehicles:
    2008 Lamdcruiser, 2014 Corvette
    Everyone has their own way of valuing this.

Every time I configured a Tesla X it was over $100k and it didn’t look like a $100k car to me.

My wife (who is at best, enduring my enthusiasm) took a look at the R1T/S and said “I can see why you want the truck (even though I don’t need one), it’s not like anything else.

If I can spend $75k on a corvette with tires that can’t be used below 40degrees, I can sell that, pay for a substantial portion of the R1T and have a higher performing vehicle.

Then again, I’m too good at justifying things I want

skyote likes this.
  9. SpinDoc7

SpinDoc7 New Member

Vehicles:
    Subaru Outback XT LTD
    Same feelings here. I’m planning on attending NYAuto on 27th. Looking to ask about financing options, among many other questions.

10. skyote

skyote Member

Vehicles:
    Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
    It might be a smaller addressable market, but they cannot mass produce yet either, so that's good.

This vehicle checks all of the boxes for me. Electric with good range, ridiculous acceleration, AWD/offroad capability, and 3rd row (R1S).

Talked to the wife about getting a Suburban (nixed), & I've wanted a Corvette Z06 for awhile, but a 2 seater is not practical enough for a household with 3 kids. I also have a diesel 4x4 truck for towing/RV & Jeep for serious offroad, but this will be my overall utility vehicle.

Cost & acceleration are on par with the Z06, and I get A LOT more for the money!