R1T $69,000 starting price - opinions

Discussion in 'Ordering, Pricing, Delivery' started by RivMan, Dec 11, 2018.

1. RockDaphne98296

First Name:
    Julie
    Vehicles:
    R1S Preorder, 2017 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium PHEV, 2016 Ford F-350 XLT
    Commercial Aerospace Interiors
    Thanks Hydro - I have added a post to the preorder thread :-D I totally agree with you - I am sincerely hoping all of the cool toys and features are included, but not sure until Rivian confirms the trim levels - so far it seems the items dictating price is the battery size/range...

About the model selection - my confirmation email says this " If at any time you decide you'd like to switch models, no need to cancel your order and lose your place in line — when it’s time to configure your vehicle, you’ll be able to switch between the R1T and R1S. " So I wouldn't worry about losing your place in line...

2. Hydro

Hydro Member

First Name:
    Al
    Vehicles:
    still searching
    That's great news, thanks for letting me know! I may go ahead and put down a deposit on R1T for now then. I'd really love to see both in person first.

It will be interesting to see if Rivian has the same trim levels and options for both, with same price scaling, given the R1S starts at a higher base price. Does that mean the R1S comes standard with more creature comforts/tech/safety features?

3. VValleyEV

VValleyEV Member

First Name:
    Rollin
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model S, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    What is going to be interesting to me is the choice between the long-range and mid-range battery pack versions.

With the $70k price for short-range battery, lets say for example that the mid-range version will start at $80k and the long-range at $90k. From what I can gather, there will be a number of attractive options available for the base models, and I would have to expect those to add at least $10k for “fully loaded”. So if hypothetically I start with a budget of $90k, which of course is a whole lot of money, I still may have to make a hard choice between a “stripped down” long range version vs a “fully loaded” medium range. Although I love the idea of a 400-mile range EV pickup, and kinda started from that position as a given, I may be sorely tempted to settle for “only” a 300-mile range model to get the nice options that I want. Also the mid-range model has the highest performance, quoted in 0-60mph times anyway.

4. RockDaphne98296

First Name:
    Julie
    Vehicles:
    R1S Preorder, 2017 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium PHEV, 2016 Ford F-350 XLT
    Commercial Aerospace Interiors
    #24 RockDaphne98296, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    I guess I have thought that the SUV was priced higher simply because of the back end - truck bed (even with super cool features) vs. enclosed interior with a third row of seats or cargo area. Otherwise they appear to be similarly equipped. But I haven't studied the details to that level - I am SUV leaning...

5. bathbunny

bathbunny Member

Vehicles:
    Tesla Model 3 RWD LR, first-production
    It's comparable in terms of luxury to equivalently priced ICE pickups. In terms of performance, well, anything with electric motors pretty automatically outperforms anything with ICEs in the same price range. So I think the price is reasonable -- neither a bargain nor overpriced. You could not start with a barebones vehicle aimed at the $30-35K market -- with limited production for at least a few years, you need some distinguishing feature. Bollinger chose offroad performance and ruggedness, emphasizing the utilitarian aspect; Rivian chose onroad performance and the "great outdoors" theme, emphasizing luxury; both added clever twists (the Bollinger front-to-rear passthrough, good for lumber, the Rivian sideways passthrough, good for outdoors toys).

I put down my $1K with Rivian, but had also put down my name with Bollinger much earlier, and am still on the fence as to which one I'd rather buy -- I guess it will come down to whether Bollinger can really make it (very unclear at this point) and whether Tesla can top Rivian's offer, which we'll find out later this year.

6. bathbunny

bathbunny Member

Vehicles:
    Tesla Model 3 RWD LR, first-production
    Mid-range, for sure. Much better specs for what seems to be a fairly modest additional outlay (15% extra); given that the truck is expensive to start with, the extra 15% seems like a modest price for the increased performance.
    The ultra-long range remains poorly defined, but specs given so far suggest it gives up on almost every other aspect of performance for the (admittedly spectacular) range. An in my case, I don't need the range... My Model 3 has 325mi range and that's enough on the Big Island of Hawaii that I never have to use a public charger -- I can go anywhere on the island, including a full tour of all parks and have enough juice left to make it back home. Since at home I charge from my solar panels, I have true carbon-free driving and will keep it that way.

7. KeithPleas

KeithPleas Member

First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicles:
    Lexus LS & GX, Porsche Boxster
    My Feb 18 pre-order confirmation email said "If at any time you decide you'd like to switch models, no need to cancel your order and lose your place in line — when it’s time to configure your vehicle, you’ll be able to switch between the R1T and R1S. "

8. Larsas

Larsas New Member

First Name:
    Lars
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model S85D
    Just came across this on youtube, the interviewer is amazed at the low price, thinks it should cost 100.000$, and the Rivian representative says "a fully loaded one with everything on it will be". I'm assuming he's referring to the R1S with 185kw battery pack, he also hints to level 3 self driving being an optional add on for extra cost.

9. KeithPleas

KeithPleas Member

First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicles:
    That's helpful - quite a few details in there I hadn't seen before and folks had asked about. We saw the full size spare below the truck bed, the roof rack bars that could be moved to the bed as well, the dual position tailgate, and a rationale for the "stadium" lighting on the grill. And the joke about the hot tub in the frunk...that would indeed be cool. My favorite mention though was the thermochromic roof panels.

10. Cardiffarian

Cardiffarian Member

First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicles:
    Tesla M3; Jag F Pace; ‘66 Bronco
    For me it will probably be the mid-range truck. I am skeptical about standard features, though. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst. There could be some deal killers in there if it’s a scant standard list and a “too pricey” options list. Don’t care if it compares to a loaded up Tahoe or something....if it over promises and under delivers I will most likely pass on it. The lack of info doesn’t help. Sorry if this sounds too negative because I love this truck, but I also know how the car industry works. Let’s all hope that Rivian is different.

KeithPleas likes this.
  11. KeithPleas

KeithPleas Member

First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicles:
    Indeed, so far it seems encouraging - it seems like something I would be proud to own for a long time.

12. DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie Well-Known Member

First Name:
    George
    Vehicles:
    2019 Acura RDX, 2014 Volvo XC60
    #32 DocTwinkie, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    I posted this elsewhere but I’m a bored passenger from Orlando to Ohio.

I put my 1k down the day after the LA auto show. The Rivians are both amazing looking autos with some astounding features.

My concern is majorly on cost and as other have said it comes down to options. If they price these 70k 200mi, 80k 300, 90k 400 AND they are fully loaded then they have a chance. If they aren’t I don’t think they will survive.

60k for a truck isn’t unheard of as people drive raptors. But they aren’t the bread and butter of Ford. They don’t keep the company afloat. They won’t suport a plant designed to pump out 200k units a year.

Luxury Trucks have been attempted. The navigator and Escalade both tried it and failed miserably. There will be a super niche market for an ultra luxury Truck.

That’s what concerns me. The new ram 1500 is damn near Mercedes luxury but that’s not the model that moves the bottom line. Same with the raptor. Tesla was dying until the model 3 saved it from going under and gave it its first profitable quarter in their history.

When the Rivian hits it will also have a ton of competition. From Jag. Audi, and Mercedes on the electric front but also from BMW, Lincoln Aviator, and even the Wrangler in the plug in front.

For those just wanting to go green without paying a ton there’s also the Kona, Bolt, Soul, Niro, and Extended range Leaf.

Rivian has a huge uphill battle. When Tesla got to market they were alone and carried a cache’ of cool and sexy whether you like them or not. Rivian will be inundated with competition that all has established brands and more importantly established reliability and service (even Tesla you at least have an idea what you’re getting).

I’m heading out to New York in two weeks to learn more. I certainly need some convincing.

Model Y. Less off road capable but has a more likely to be around name, supercharger network, and 72k fully loaded performance model. Only 3k from where an R1T starts.

Etron, Ipace, and Mercedes all backed by well known names with a service network and likely comparable prices.

Aviator. You get luxury to the max with an electric plug in that will probably have enough range for most people to stay all electric 95% of the time and it maxes out sticker at 87k for a black label. Maintenance and warranty are ford so you’re solid here.

Wrangler. Waaaaaaay more off roadable. Waaaay. Should have enough range for people to stay all electric 90% of the time. It will probably max the sticker under 70 and you will never pay sticker for a wrangler. Usually 5% under invoice. Again has a dealer network and establiahed off roadabability and aftermarket parts. Wranglers also hold their value better than any car out there. Tesla owners are finding depreciation stings.

Tesla/Ford EV trucks soon.

I have been very excited for the Rivian but the price and marketing have me very worried. Who is this for? Uber rich outdoorsy folks? How big is that market? How do they plan to sell enough to stay afloat? If you want off-roading get a wrangler. If you want luxury get an Aviator, Audi, Jag, or Mercedes. If you want speed get a Model Y. If you need a truck for work you are not spending 70k base on it.

Maybe they will convince me. But I have a feeling the Rivian will top out well over 100k and to me and probably 99.9% of people out there that’s just too much to gamble on a niche market, depreciation, and a new company when there are so many other choices.

13. Cardiffarian

Cardiffarian Member

First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicles:
    Tesla M3; Jag F Pace; ‘66 Bronco
    Amen, DocTwinkie!!

14. MattpR1T

MattpR1T Member

Vehicles:
    63’ Chevy Corvair, 75’ CB400 four
    I think one of Rivian’s plans is to sell their technology to the big auto manufacturers. This would make the Rivian brand a niche vehicle in the market but it will keep the company sustained. The target market is an interesting question though.

Jeeps are way more capable off road? Not necessarily true. Off road is not one segment. Jeeps have live axles which are fantastic for articulation but they are way too much unsprung mass. Nobody will tell you that a Jeep will win the Baja 1000.

15. Aurum

Aurum Active Member

First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicles:
    Tacoma
    This pretty much sums up my feelings. I agree if I do decide to go middle of the road and get the r1s at 300 range, then 80k better be fully loaded or at least top of the line with only a few options that I don’t care about pushing the price higher (different roof types, accessories, etc). I would be coming from a cheap ICE and there is some justification for higher price just because it would be my first EV, but at some point I will be deconvinced if the price is too high.

Oh and if the tax credit goes away, I will most certainly go with a model y... I hope it stays though.

16. DocTwinkie

First Name:
    George
    Vehicles:
    True true. If you’re desert running for speed for sure a raptor is the way to go.

17. DocTwinkie

First Name:
    George
    Vehicles:

I hate being a Debbie downer (though I’m exceedingly good at it). The other thing to consider is if you’re simply paying a fee to go green you gotta think a little deeper.

An electric car has a much larger carbon footprint to produce than an ICE. The 180kwh battery pack will have a massive footprint. However over time the decreased carbon emissions of your electric company overcomes the carbon emissions from gasoline of the ICE and then you become “greener.”

How long this take depends on the cars and also where you live. Here in Ohio If I buy a Tesla it might take 10years before my carbon footprint is smaller then if I just bought a regular sedan. In California where there is more renewable energy it will take a few years.

Just buying an electric doesn’t make you green unless you drive it for several years. Longest I’ve kept a car has been 8 years.

Hmp10 likes this.
  18. Aurum

Aurum Active Member

First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicles:
    Tacoma
    For me the “going green” part is not the biggest thing. It’s a plus for me. But the main part is charging at home, no oil changes or fill ups, quieter ride, and long term reliability. It just makes sense to go EV.

19. DocTwinkie

First Name:
    George
    Vehicles:
    For me this is a life goal. I’m overweight. Have been forever. Trying to get my weight on track and if I do this next car is to be my midlife crisis car. I’ll be 40 next year. Most I’ve ever spent on a car is 50k.

I remember my wrangler as a teen so it’s high on my list. The Rivian has all that if miss in a wrangler (safety, handling, autonomous features, speed, practicality, efficiency) but I’m just hoping if I hit my goal weight I can afford it.

sylvandb likes this.
  20. Whmorken

Whmorken Member

First Name:
    Hubert
    Vehicles:
    Tesla 3. Toyota Sequoia
    Three cheers for linking your health and strength to future off-road adventuring in a Rivian. This greeting is from a 75 year old mountaineer/walker who just finished a season of skiing and is heading for the high peaks this summer, daily.

DocTwinkie likes this.