Featured Preproduction Rivian R1T spotted testing at Tierra del Fuego!

Discussion in 'Rivian General Discussions' started by jimcgov3, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Nevadagarth

Nevadagarth New Member

First Name:
    Garth
    Vehicles:
    2015 Durango Citadel
    I agree with previous posts, the concept steering wheel fits the look and upscale feel of the vehicle more. The pictured steering wheel is very blah.

kumarczar likes this.
  2. Nevadagarth

Nevadagarth New Member

First Name:
    Garth
    Vehicles:
    2015 Durango Citadel
    I do like the pictured rear better than the pre-production version. It looks beefier but I would like to see the rear hooks in the final production version.

It looks like front hooks were added.

3. jimcgov3

jimcgov3 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    2016 Chevy Spark EV, Rivian R1T Reservation Holder
    There are definitely some tweaks going on. I do hope the hooks make it back or are at least an option. I agree on the front hooks. Those are new. I am sure there are other things but it'll take time to find them all.

4. jimcgov3

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    Has everyone also overlooked the new flat grey color?? That definitely isn't the same silver from the OG R1T.

SpinDoc7 and Nevadagarth like this.
  5. Nevadagarth

Nevadagarth New Member

First Name:
    Garth
    Vehicles:
    2015 Durango Citadel
    "Dual" third brake lights?

6. SpinDoc7

SpinDoc7 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Subaru Outback XT LTD
  7. SpinDoc7

Vehicles:
    Subaru Outback XT LTD
    Sorry, I was trying to post the English translation. Seems it reverted back to the original. Maybe someone else can fix it. Photos and video are great!

8. SpinDoc7

Vehicles:
    Subaru Outback XT LTD
    Front tow hooks were on the concept model. I too, hope the rear step-up ones return. Or there’s some other step up feature we’re not seeing.

9. jimcgov3

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    #29 jimcgov3, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    SpinDoc7, I am not referring to the flip-down attach points on the front and rear of the truck. If you look at the pic of the white and grey close-up 3/4 view, you can see fixed black attach points sticking out from the front bumper. and the inside of the tailgate had the steps too. I am not sure of the feasibility of reaching the rear steps with the departure angle of the rear bumper being as angled as it was.

Yes. Definitely a split 3rd brake light. Unfortunately i have no images of the 3rd brake light on from either NYC or Denver to know if this is a change. I do like the look of the split though, especially the thin LED strips that they are.

Here are a few of my disappointments in the Pre-production vs. Concept:
    - The flip-down front and rear hooks are gone.
    - The door handles have changed.
    - The steering wheels leaves much to be desired when compared to the Concept version. I loved the simplicity with only 2 scroll wheels and the overall design of the concept. Alexa integration shouldn't require a steering wheel with 16 buttons. I understand Alexa isn't for everyone.
    - The panel gaps especially at the hood (SpinDoc7 post from Autoblog.com.ar) not as tight as concept.
    - Ewan McGregor gets to drive the truck before I do...must be nice to be Obi Wan Kenobi.

I can't make a Cons list without a PROS list.
    - I really like the R1T badge. As a Nissan GTR fan and as a previous post stated, it is very reminiscent of the GTR badging.
    - The 3/4 windows in the rear doors is gone! Thank you! I understand why it has to be there in older vehicles but we live in a day and age where parts can be made slimmer in order to accommodate a door handle and a full width retractable window for the rear seat occupants.
    - COLORS. Granted it is only a total of 4 so far, but we get just a taste of what we could possibly find out from the 13 September event in ATL. White, Silver(Concept), Green(R1S Concept), and the flat grey. The white actually doesn't look as boring as I thought it would be with the DRL on. I thought it would get lost in all the white.
    - As I previously mentioned in the forums when the Rivian website was updated, the charge port door changed from the passenger to the driver's side.
    - You can finally see the removable center section of rear fascia where I can only assume is hiding a hitch unlike the concept so those of us with towing in mind know what to expect.

I think that is it. Overall NONE of these changes are dealbreakers for me. If anything, I am even more excited about the truck and it's capabilities. The fact that they are taking 6 brand new All-Electric vehicles on a 17,000 mile expedition from Argentina to California is awesome. I will be looking forward to their posts on social media and eventually watching the documentary once it is released.

Administrator and SpinDoc7 like this.
  10. EVian

EVian Member

Vehicles:
    BMW 330e
    Awesome!
    I’ve enjoyed their long way round/down documentaries so even more looking forward to this one!
    Do you think we’ll see Rivian to Harley charging? Range of the Harley seems to be 140 miles in the city, so maybe a third of the Rivian.
    Anyone know what the round thing on the rack above the bed on the white R1T is?

11. jimcgov3

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    I am going to go with some type of satellite receiver/transmitter. There will definitely be areas where only SAT phones will work. Which could be good news so the forum member on here that was curious about HAM radio and other COMM type hookups.

EVian likes this.
  12. SpinDoc7

Vehicles:
    Subaru Outback XT LTD
    I noticed the panel gap on the hood too. Glad I wasn’t the only one.

13. Godawgs

Godawgs Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicles:
    Chevy Equinox; Nissan Pathfinder
    I plan on attending the Atlanta event and will try to ask some questions around these “new” prototypes as well as the Long Way up Challenge. Will share what I find out.

SpinDoc7 likes this.
  14. EVian

EVian Member

Vehicles:
    BMW 330e
    The panel gap on the hood of the grey one looks better than the white. The hood on the white one just seems to not fit very neatly at all.

15. jfrench

jfrench Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicles:
    Toyota Land Cruiser x2 (for sale when the R1T gets delivered), Land Rover Range Rover (wife's rig)
    Trim/rocker panel below doors is a touch different. Is it too much to ask that these areas be a bit beefier, like a rock slider, steel or thick aluminum, to afford some sort of body protection while off road?

16. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
    The steering wheel went from being one of the handsomest units I've seen in a vehicle to one of the cheapest-looking ones I've seen since the 1980's. What in the devil happened? Is this a temporary wheel because the vendor has not yet ramped up? Did they fire their interior design staff?

If that's a harbinger of other interior changes we're going to see as the vehicle makes its way to production, I may drop out of the reservation queue.

17. ajdelange

ajdelange Well-Known Member

First Name:
    A. J.
    Vehicles:
    Tesla X 100D 2018
    My Spanish is non existent but I can make out that two Rivians and 4 Harleys are undertaking an electric journey from this town across all of America implying that they will end up in the Aleutians somewhere. ??? Actually it goes on to say that the goal is to break a previously set record from this town to LA.

18. A Hawk

A Hawk Active Member

First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicles:
    BMW i8
    My guess is they'll sell rock rails / sliders as optional accessories, like Jeep does. There's lots of money to be made from accessories and after sales parts.

19. SpinDoc7

Vehicles:
    Subaru Outback XT LTD
    Maybe these are meant to be more utilitarian preproduction models. Hope so.

20. Godawgs

Godawgs Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicles:
    Chevy Equinox; Nissan Pathfinder

This time in English.

https://translate.googleusercontent...700265&usg=ALkJrhgN04czpavBa1olhwNvLXE-BZ_K3A