First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

The Bolt EV was touted as 200 miles and came in at 238. I would expect Rivian to also give a very conservative estimate prior to the actual tests. Always better to under promise and over deliver, and that philosophy seems to resonate with what we have heard/seen so far.
Hence, why I ended my post with that same phrase that Rivian uses at every event and is in most TV/YouTube interviews.

Any assumption on the tires fitted to production spec vehicles is likely premature at this point. Much of what you see on the show vehicles may be optional and/or used to gauge consumer reaction before finalizing the specs.
Valid point but every single vehicle they have on the road is wearing Pirellis. All 3 show vehicles and both of the vehicles in South America are all sporting Pirelli rubber. Will they have different?Possibly. Manufacturers are pretty standard on their tire provider based on the class of vehicle.
Sponsored

azjohnny

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S 100D Toyota Tundra
I agree that weight makes a small difference, but I think it's near the point of immeasurability, at least in terms of range. It does take more energy to get the heavier tires rotating, but acceleration constitutes a very small part of driving for most people. Also, the greater rotational energy of the heavier tires is somewhat recovered during regenerative braking. However, I think we're talking very small factors here.

With section width almost identical on the two tire options, I think rolling resistance will be the biggest differentiator for range, and even that might not amount to much. Things such as driving style, weather, and topography are going to be far, far larger variables in range.

I'm a big fan of Tire Rack tests and sometimes read them for fun. Living in south Florida during rainy season puts a real premium on wet performance. The Pirelli tire Rivian is using only got a so-so rating in wet performance, with wet braking in particular noted as a need for improvement. The Michelin A/S tire that fits the Rivian 22" wheel has better performance across the board and was particularly singled out for excellent wet performance.

I'm probably going to swap out whatever tires I get on the R1S for the Michelins -- which, by the way, weigh 5 pounds less than the Pirellis. I wonder if Rivian actually tested the tires or made the decision based on contract pricing.
The best "AT" style tire I have ever used was Toyo ATII, I just replaced a set I had my on my Tundra that I got 100K miles out of rotating every 5K miles

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
While I agree that patch friction is a big factor with tires people often fail to realize that tire weight is a double whammy. Tires decrease range as does any other weight in/'on the vehicle because it is impossible to recover all the translational kinetic energy put into them even with regenerative braking. But tires also rotate and are thus loaded with rotational kinetic energy. Just as with the translational energy only a portion of that energy can be recovered.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
While I agree that patch friction is a big factor with tires . . . .
Isn't sidewall stiffness/flexion also a significant factor in rolling resistance? Way back in the late 60's when radial tires were first becoming common, I remember a lot of claims that they improved mileage by almost 10% over bias-belted tires because of more flexion in the sidewalls of radials. (I also remember a lot of people thinking radial tires were under inflated because of the unfamiliar bulge of the sidewalls above the contact patch.)

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
It certainly would be a factor. Energy that goes to warming the rubber in the sidewalls is energy lost.

Feathermerchant

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 P+, 2011 F150 SC 8ft bed
The Tesla Model 3 has a LR RWD model with aerodynamic 18" wheels and a performance model with sticky performance tires. There is a about a 10% difference in range. Same car, different wheels and tires. The wheel aerodynamics plays a part in this rating too.
Data is from hete: https://teslike.com/range/
I almost immediately replaced the heavy , sticky 20"wheels/tires with 18" forged and more regular street tires. I saw 10% or so overall.
Reducing air pressure off road may also have some effect.
Sponsored