Paint Protection Film...Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Rivian General Discussions' started by jimcgov3, Nov 10, 2019 at 1:27 AM.

1. jimcgov3

jimcgov3 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    2016 Chevy Spark EV, Rivian R1T Reservation Holder
    #1 jimcgov3, Nov 10, 2019 at 1:27 AM
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 1:35 AM
    Recently I started watching all the videos on paint protection film to see what is what and what the different manufacturer warranties are as well as their differences in product composition. It seems like the big 3 in film are 3M, Xpel, and Llumar/SunTek(Same company).

We will definitely be wrapping our R1T when we take delivery. Does anyone on here have experience with PPF and/or have a vehicle currently wrapped in PPF? Did you choose a satin finish film vs the standard finish?

And I am not talking about a vinyl wrap as they offer very little protection. I am specifically talking about a clear PPF that would protect my investment.

I am leaning towards the Xpel product already as it has the ability to self-heal...with either a heat gun, direct sunlight, or hot water. That is sorcery!

Estolworthy likes this.
  2. Estolworthy

Estolworthy Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicles:
    Infiniti and Kia
    LEO
    I like this topic as I too am interested in some protection. My decision will probably be based on life expectancy of the product and level of protection.

I pitched the idea in another thread that Rivian should provide or offer touch up paint with our purchase since they are adventure vehicles bound for some wear.

3. skyote

skyote Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
    Cybersecurity
    I've done some reading on this, and there are proponents for all.

I am considering doing both PPF & ceramic coating. For those not familiar, ceramic coating is like semi-permanent wax.

jimcgov3 likes this.
  4. jimcgov3

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    For sure. Unfortunately, all of the dealers in Jax don't do the ceramic coating...so I will have to go down to either Tampa or West Palm in order to find a dealer that does both. I may do the ceramic coating myself or do it separately.

5. skyote

skyote Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
    Cybersecurity
    I want a place that will do a good paint correction too to take care of any swirling or orange peel, so I'll use a shop that can do all 3.

jimcgov3 and TXKidd like this.
  6. TXKidd

TXKidd Member

First Name:
    Harrison
    Vehicles:
    '18 Audi S5 Sportback, R1T pre-order
    I did the full front end ppf (front grille to the doors) on my S5 using xpel ultimate. The peace of mind has been very nice, and it has held up very well over the past two years. It’s been very easy to clean, and no yellowing. I’ll definitely be doing at least front end ppf for the Rivian. I’ve never done a ceramic coating, but plan to do that upon delivery as well. Probably with paint correction too, as mentioned by skyote^.

Estolworthy, jimcgov3 and skyote like this.
  7. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
    Although Xpel first brought the technology to market, all three of the top-rated films (3M Scotchguard, Xpel, and Llumar/SunTek) now have self-healing properties. In addition, Llumar/SunTek film is hydrophobic so that you don't need the ceramic coating you would need on the other two films to obtain heightened water shedding.

This article might be helpful:

https://exclusivedetail.com/best-paint-protection-film/

(One note, though. The article says 3M only has a 7-year warranty as opposed to the 10-year warranty of the other two. 3M has now extended their warranty for Pro PPF to 10 years.)

The main point of the article, though, is that the differences in these three films pale in comparison to the differences in installer capability. The article recommends finding the best installer and then going with whichever film he prefers to use.

jimcgov3, aAlpine and skyote like this.
  8. Nuclearn8

Nuclearn8 Active Member

First Name:
    Nate
    Vehicles:
    '17 GX460, '05 Corolla
    Agree. have had great success with xpel on our ICE vehicles. The most important part of ppf's longevity and durability (regardless of brand) is the surface prep and cleanliness.
    Any reputable installer will spend time describing to you their process focused on the prep phase. It's not true in all cases but you get what you pay for.. the more expensive installers are generally devoting a lot more labor to the prep phase, which is important so the product lasts the warranty period and is removable without damaging the paint thereafter.

9. skyote

skyote Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
    Cybersecurity
    Great info @Hmp10 . I might lean to Llumar/SunTek due to the added hydrophobic. I'm also not sure whether I'll do just the front, or full vehicle...I guess that will partially depend on where the overall cost of my configuration ends up landing!

10. jimcgov3

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    Great points @Hmp10. The last I saw was that 3M had a 7 year warranty, but after looking at their website it looks like they stepped up their game. The only difference I can see at this point is the Xpel is slightly thicker at 0.0085 vs 0.0080 in the 3M. The Llumar's hydrophobic coating definitely could be a consideration depending on what the price difference is, if any...And like you said, finding the best installer and going with them and what product they use. Either way, what little bit of light off-roading I do, and the fact that no matter how far away I park, there is always that MORON that will park right next to me so I will definitely be getting a full wrap.

Hmp10 likes this.
  11. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    I'm wondering how well these films (particularly the hydrophobic finish on the Llumar) hold up to commercial car washes. I have Opti-coat ceramic on my Tesla, and the manufacturer warns that the detergents used by commercial car washes will strip it off. For a vehicle as big and tall as a Rivian, using a commercial car wash occasionally would be a nice reprieve.

I've read endless debates over the years about commercial car washes. Some people claim they will all but strip the paint off a car. Others claim that modern equipment in newer car washes puts enough water flow over the car that they are actually easier on the paint than most hand washing. I've also seen claims that the detergent is diluted enough that it won't strip wax. I have occasionally taken my Honda through a commercial wash, and it has never been left with swirl marks, but I'm not sure how the wax held up.

12. jimcgov3

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    Up in Jax, we have Gate Express Car Wash. They offer single or monthly wash packages. We love it. Before I left on my deployment, I had a 2017 Nissan Titan PRO-4X that I took there 3-5 times a week. It is a beater style with some high pressure water as well. You would never be able to tell that it wasn't handwashed. No swirls, scratches, or blemishes from their equipment. We love it there. I will definitely talk to the Manager about using the car wash still once I wrap the truck. If I get a shoulder shrug, I guess I will be handwashing from here on out.

Hmp10 likes this.
  13. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    I've read some blogs by professional ppf installers since I raised the question of commercial washes. The consensus view was that they didn't damage the film itself. The biggest risk was lifting the film at the edges (which was easily repairable) and was usually avoided by edge wrapping the film during installation.

I couldn't, however, get any sense for whether the hydrophobic coating unique to Llumar/SunTek film would be harmed by the car washes. As I said earlier, Opti-coat warns that commercial car washes will strip their ceramic coating from the car.

14. buddilly

buddilly Member

Vehicles:
    Rolls Royce, Ferrari, etc.
    XPEL Ultimate Plus is the best, hands down - had it on all of my recent exotics, luxury cars, trucks, etc.