New video: R1T at Overland Expo West 2019 Q&A with Rivian

Discussion in 'R1T Pickup Discussions' started by aAlpine, May 25, 2019.

1. aAlpine

aAlpine Member

Vehicles:
    2014 4Runner

Some of the new bits of info from the video:
    • audio system "target higher than Audi" - This is actually the first I've thought about the audio system, and now that I think of it, I don't recall seeing any speaker grills anywhere in the prototype vehicles...
    • the Rivian charging network will be limited to remote places to supplement what's out there, mentioned was a charging network "announcement soon"
    • A mention of the prototype vs production vehicle differences: small aero details and refinement
    • Cable lock alarm triggers a rear facing camera that can view the bed of the truck (sounds similar to Tesla's awesome sentry mode)
    • Question about full-time 4x4 revealed that rear wheels can be "decoupled" for FWD on highway for efficiency - but unlike the dual motor Model 3 design, all 4 motors are the same kind.
    • Roof options: electrochromic (old news), removable (rumored, but I don't think confirmed until now)
    • Once again confirming that "later this year" preorders will be able to be converted to actual vehicle orders where colors/options can be selected. This means we'll know quite a bit more about the final details by the end of year!

skyote, kumarczar and EyeOnRivian like this.
  2. EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T
    @aAlpine, great info and video. Thanks for posting! About half of those I haven't heard yet come from a Rivian rep. In addition, I've been wondering about those items/topics. The more I find out about the R1T the harder it's making it to stay with my "initial" decision of pre-ordering the R1S. :headbang:
    Side note: I believe the latest production version of the M3 now have the same motors in front and back.

3. ElectricTrucking

ElectricTrucking Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Porsche 911
    I have to question how the Rvian employee closes the passenger door. Not the typical closing that we all do when we exit a vehicle. He pushes the door a little to close and then gives it a push with both hands as if it is difficult to catch. Lets hope there is just a simple issue with the prototype.

4. EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T
    Yea, I picked up on that "gentle but odd" door closing too. I was trying to figure out a plausible reason for it but couldn't come with any and just forgot about it. Perhaps since it is a prototype they were told not to slam any doors/lids to prevent anything from breaking? Or perhaps one of the Rivian reps was taking nap in the cabin after having one too many after sitting around the pullout stove/kitchen last night. :party: :rock:

5. skyote

skyote Active Member

Vehicles:
    Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
    I want details on the audio, and hope there is a subwoofer option.

FWD on the highway is pretty interesting too...