Featured Ford invests $500M in Rivian! Partnership to deliver all-new Ford EV

Discussion in 'Rivian General Discussions' started by Administrator, Apr 24, 2019.

1. kumarczar

kumarczar Member

Vehicles:
    Acura MDX
    I agree with your thought process on this. To establish themselves as a reputable brand that is here to stay, Rivian must focus on user experience and do better than competition in order to create a strong foothold in the market, customers and clients Rivian is targeting are those with money who can afford such vehicles and experiences, they demand and expect this. As well as changing minds of those who are already quite skeptical of the entire EV trend or those who are disappointed with other EV manufacturers customer delivery experiences (Looking at you Tesla!)

2. CappyJax

CappyJax Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Subaru Forester
    I'd rather have a well made vehicle that doesn't require a lot of time at the dealership than any of these meaningless gestures. If the Rivian has the same poor reliability as a Land Rover, I would not buy one no matter how pampered I am at the dealer. If it has excellent reliability, I won't care about the pampered treatment at the dealer because I won't be going there that often.

jimcgov3 likes this.
  3. jimcgov3

jimcgov3 Member

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    2017 Nissan Titan
    You do bring up a valid point. As I made my way through your first paragraph I said well then send me to Lincoln... Then I started reading your second paragraph... Great counter.

4. jimcgov3

jimcgov3 Member

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    2017 Nissan Titan
    True, but for those few times a year (tire rotations, and battery coolant services), why not? My local Nissan dealership isn't too shabby and even provides loaners if my service is longer than an hour or so.

5. stank65

stank65 Active Member

First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model 3, Chevy Tahoe, GMC Acadia
    These cars will rarely have to be serviced. I don’t need white glove to get my tires rotated and the car inspected annually.

6. CappyJax

Vehicles:
    Subaru Forester
    I would do that stuff myself and save the trip the the dealer. Only a tiny fraction of people feel the need to be pampered.

7. DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie Well-Known Member

First Name:
    George
    Vehicles:
    2019 Acura RDX, 2014 Volvo XC60
    I highly disagree that high end luxury brand buyers don’t want pampered. We are talking people who woulda buy Mercedes, Land Rover, Jag. This isn’t your Acura or Infiniti buyer. This price point is European luxury. I think most people driving their S Class aren’t going to change their own oil and aren’t going to be happy with a Nissan Versa loaner. Lol.

kumarczar likes this.
  8. CappyJax

Vehicles:
    Subaru Forester
    Well, you don't have to worry about oil changes in the Rivian. And why would you take any vehicle to the dealer for an oil change when you can get it done in 15 minutes at a lube shop and pay 1/4th the price? Or take it to a tire shop and get their tires rotated for free?

9. DocTwinkie

First Name:
    George
    Vehicles:
    It’s less about maintenance and more about warranty. These cars require next to no maintenance. But they are complex machines from a brand new company. They are probably gonna have their time in the shop.

So yeah. When someone cruising their 100k truck finds out the fancy 180 tailgate is stuck and they drop it off they are going to expect some high end customer service.

kumarczar likes this.
  10. CappyJax

Vehicles:
    Subaru Forester
    To me, high end customer service is doing the job quickly and correctly. I don't need snacks and mints in the bathroom, and I don't care what the loaner car is.

11. DocTwinkie

First Name:
    George
    Vehicles:
    I’m with ya. But someone buying a Benz or Jag. Lol. No. You don’t buy a status symbol and not expect status. You don’t pay for a the ritz and say I only need a bed and a bathroom. You don’t pay for first class and say I’m fine in coach.

Darrellbu likes this.
  12. stank65

stank65 Active Member

First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model 3, Chevy Tahoe, GMC Acadia
    This is an old service model that will be replaced. People expect you to come to them or to come get their car. This will become the new white glove service.

Come to me and fix the car on site
    Come to me and swap the car for a loaner

My most valuable thing is my time

13. kumarczar

kumarczar Member

Vehicles:
    Acura MDX
    Personally for me, this new relationship Ford can be a HUGE learning lesson Rivian in terms of is Ford's truck reliability and parts durability. It is something Tesla who is also new but also seems to still struggle despite having quarter million vehicles on the road. If they can combine that same robust quality of interior, exterior, and drivetrain components that would be required for challenging outdoor adventure for many years of use, or just suburban lifesytle in the midwest where roads are terrible and salt takes a toll on vehicle bodies and drivetrain components. The need to come to service centers would significantly go down, many of my friends who own different models of Teslas dont have to go in for major issues or problems that render their cars un-drivable. Its almost always a issue with parts fitment, quality issue or electronics not working on doors or trunk. These are areas if Ford could lend a helping hand could very much help define Rivian as a true rugged, reliable, vehicle no different than any other reliable luxury Truck or SUV. But if there is ever a time when the vehicle does need to go to a Rivian service center, then yes, if I have paid over 80K for a vehicle I expect the problems to be as few as possible and complexity as well as the highest service and costumer satisfaction. Thats how names and reputations have been build in the auto industry

14. ElectricTrucking

ElectricTrucking Active Member

Vehicles:
    Porsche 911
    I've owned many Mercedes vehicles over many years. I'm not interested in the Rivian for pretentious service. I want the R1T for no service an hopefully not to have a need for much. My last service for my 2017 C300 was serviced by a shop of ex Mercedes techs and I had to find coffee else where which was fine for the big difference in cost. I sold the C300 a few months ago in anticipation of going electric to get around gas and oil etc. I could care less about saving the world, I;m just trying to save my sanity from dealership crap. Change and serviced my GM products for years until 2001 when Mercedes gave me free service on both my ML and SLK. Made me lazy.

15. Zach05855

Zach05855 New Member

First Name:
    Zachary
    Vehicles:
    Jaguar I-Pace
    I think this is more what Ford has in mind.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/04/f...stang-inspired-electric-suv-looked-like-this/

Ford’s Mustang-derived all-electric crossover has been confirmed for a late 2020 debut, boasting a driving range of 370 miles (600 km), to go with its sporty driving character.

Dubbed ‘Mach 1’ or according to this trademark application, ‘Mach-E’ (for now), its unveiling will reportedly take place later this year, putting Tesla’s Model X on notice in terms of its EV range, even though the Ford will probably be smaller in size and therefore less roomy.

The Michigan-based automaker has also hinted that the Mach 1 will feature a charging process that is an “effortless experience at home and on the road,” while adding that it is “redesigning the ownership experience to ensure it addresses customer pain points that currently hold back broad adoption [of electric cars].”

That’s all well and good, but what about looks?

Since cars are also fashion accessories and lifestyle statements of sorts, Ford needs to ensure that its electrified crossover is visually appealing, which is where the Mustang characteristics come into play. Now, if for example the car ends up looking very much like a jacked-up Mustang, then this render from Kolesa might help put that into perspective.

274c9518-ford-mustang-crossover-render-3.jpg

It’s a very dynamic design, as you can see, with beefy fenders, Mustang-derived front and rear fascias and a Fastback silhouette, which makes perfect sense in this SUV Coupe era that we’re in.

Ultimately, we’re curious to hear what you have to say. Would you rather Ford show more originality when it comes to this upcoming crossover, or is a design similar to this rendering sufficiently appealing to you? We could honestly go either way.

6afed5fb-ford-mustang-crossover-render-1.jpg

16. HMBxplore

HMBxplore Member

First Name:
    Scotty
    Vehicles:
    2004.5 Dodge Ram
    I don’t think they will directly compete. Rivian is focused on the adventure, outdoors lifestyle. F150 is a work horse. There might be some bleed over, but based on the features and my lifestyle, I’d take a R1T over and F150 any day

skyote likes this.
  17. azjohnny

azjohnny Member

First Name:
    john
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model S 100D
    It looks pretty good, good enough to buy. My biggest concern " can I get a dog crate in the back"