Sponsored

"EVgo Contracts 100% Renewables For Customer Charging"

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
It's interesting in conversations about EVs and energy efficiencies when the topic progresses to the carbon footprint to produce an EV and the various factors that play a role (e.g. battery size) which then typically evolve to the myriad of variable to help offset that footprint (e.g. charging location, driving habits, time, etc). A popular counterpoint (typically from the non-EV enthusiasts) is the carbon footprint from the power companies to produce the electricity to charge your EV, Well, that's true to a point but it depends on your region as some power plants use renewable resources such as wind, solar and hydro to generate their electricity. But if you don't live in one of these regions, some may wonder what's the source of the electricity when you, say, use a public charging station. Apparently EVgo has picked up on this and decided to work on that.

Source: CleanTechnica - "EVgo Contracts 100% Renewables For Customer Charging"

Excerpt:
"EVgo has become the first EV charging network in the United States to contract 100% of the energy needed to power its customers with renewable energy this week. This was made possible thanks to a host of new renewable energy purchase contracts and Renewable Energy Credit purchases that all of the electricity consumed by customers on its charging network directly support renewable energy generation."
Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Coal-fired electricity generation is on the rise in some parts of the world but continues to wane in Europe and the U.S. where, at least up until now, most EVs are sold. The power producer where I live (Florida Power & Light) shuttered its last coal-fired plant last year and is currently generating power from natural gas, nuclear, and solar. In fact, it's growing its solar capacity at the second-fastest rate in the nation and expects to be generating 30% of its power from solar by 2030. When I lived in New England, a good portion of our power was hydroelectric purchased from Canada.

Some people use the fact that electricity on most grids contains at least a fraction of electricity generated by coal to impugn the environmental credibility of EVs. What they miss is that ICE cars have no likelihood of ever becoming free of dependence of fossil fuels (unless hydrogen development acquires a new lease on life), while EVs have that potential and, in many parts of the U.S. and Europe, are beginning to make real progress in getting there.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Unlike ICE vehicles, EV users can oftentimes make the choice as to what is the source of their power, thereby largely controlling their carbon footprint. I am building a new home in northern Michigan (just below the 45th parallel) and grid connected my 14.1 KW solar array in January. Contrary to what many folks think, solar works great in northern states - even with the snow cover the system has generated over 4.5 MWh so far this year. By the time my R1T is delivered, I may add to the array to try to stay over 90% self generating.

The power that I buy from the local utility (city run) is approximately 15% generated from renewables today, and increasing as they actively add solar and wind generated capacity. The city has a mandate to be using power generated from 100% (city government and services) sustainable sources by 2025.

I personally feel that anyone who adds a significant load to the electrical grid with an electric vehicle should, if at all possible, do something to offset the additional usage like adding solar to their roof. If we all do a little bit it will add up quickly. Just getting an EV is not enough - we all need to help get off the fossil fuel generated power. Considering what the EVs cost, dropping $10-$20K for rooftop solar (mine was $18K after federal rebate) should not be a big stretch for many EV buyers, unless they live in an apartment or condo. And after about 10 years the cost of the array has paid itself off and then I get clean, free electricity for the next 20+ years.
Sponsored