Sponsored

Entertainment Package Options?

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Any word on whether there will be rear entertainment package options such as flip down LCD screen or headrest monitors?
Examples:
Rivian R1T R1S Entertainment Package Options? upload_2019-10-17_13-34-23

Rivian R1T R1S Entertainment Package Options? upload_2019-10-17_13-35-34
Sponsored

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
I would prefer a way to put an iPad/android tablet on the headrest. Versus dedicated infotainment system. They tend to be more expensive and outdated faster.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Being more of an Apple household I would like to see Apple Music as a streaming option built in. Plus other streaming services like Spotify and Pandora as well.

We have enjoyed the latest version in Tesla that includes Netflix and Hulu.

OP
OP
SlaterGS

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I would prefer a way to put an iPad/android tablet on the headrest. Versus dedicated infotainment system. They tend to be more expensive and outdated faster.
I don't mind a way to mount a tablet though I feel like most aftermarket ones I have seen add more bulk to the back of the headrest that inevitably my kids would knock off.
A simple flip down LCD would suffice for me as it would allow for all passengers to view it vs the individual headset units.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
I don't mind a way to mount a tablet though I feel like most aftermarket ones I have seen add more bulk to the back of the headrest that inevitably my kids would knock off.
A simple flip down LCD would suffice for me as it would allow for all passengers to view it vs the individual headset units.
It would be a nice option if it wasn’t a bunch of money. I think they would have be in the headrest as the majority of the roof is glass.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SlaterGS

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

It would be a nice option if it wasn’t a bunch of money. I think they would have be in the headrest as the majority of the roof is glass.
Good call, didn't think about the glass part!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Even airlines are moving to "bring your own screen", and phones/tablets are excellent media devices.

I think that was the intent with the "hook" & charging ports on the back of the front seats, and I'm curious to see if they come up with another creative idea to hold/mount devices. If not, there are already some aftermarket options.

Reactions: Rad
OP
OP
SlaterGS

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Even airlines are moving to "bring your own screen", and phones/tablets are excellent media devices.

I think that was the intent with the "hook" & charging ports on the back of the front seats, and I'm curious to see if they come up with another creative idea to hold/mount devices. If not, there are already some aftermarket options.
I haven't seen the hook and charging ports, do you have a good photo of that? That might be all I need!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T R1S Entertainment Package Options? FB_IMG_1569629460515
They have rightly nixed it due to potential safety issues.

It's the silver part on the back of the headrest here that folds out 90°, & charging ports are behind it.

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've seen a better pic with it open, but I don't have it...

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Don't bet on this making production. They've already talked about canning it for safety concerns. I love the thoughtfulness of it but it's also a great place to leave an eyeball or teeth or other parts of your face.

Rivian R1T R1S Entertainment Package Options? Screenshot_20191020-065147_Instagram

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
The way I've seen seat-belt-restrained rear seat dummies move in crash tests makes me doubt whether the head or face would hit these ports in a collision. They are mounted pretty high, and upper bodies seem to bend downward in an arc rotating from the seat belt line. Shoulder belts would further limit the possibility of a face colliding with these ports.

EVian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 330e
But I guess they must also consider what happens for someone, admittedly stupidly, not wearing a belt.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

The way I've seen seat-belt-restrained rear seat dummies move in crash tests makes me doubt whether the head or face would hit these ports in a collision. They are mounted pretty high, and upper bodies seem to bend downward in an arc rotating from the seat belt line. Shoulder belts would further limit the possibility of a face colliding with these ports.
I agree 100% with you. The chances of someone actually hitting the hook is slim, but it is still there and why leave yourself vulnerable to lawsuits if you can come up with a safer way of doing the same thing. So maybe package the USBs in the armrest in the back seat or maybe in the B or C pillar similar to the Chrysler T&C/Pacifica.

But I guess they must also consider what happens for someone, admittedly stupidly, not wearing a belt.
Exactly.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Looking at all the sharp edges on the dashboard, I think they have already decided not to worry too much about people who don't use seatbelt.

I agree, though, that putting the ports on the B pillars would be as convenient and avoid the whole issue.
Sponsored