Does Rivian SUV have space for a spare tire

Discussion in 'R1S SUV Discussions' started by Gene, Feb 3, 2019.

1. KC_Lumberguy

KC_Lumberguy New Member

First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model S, Model X
    Nope. You’re correct. It was the R1T in the video. Not the R1S. Apologies.

Gene and Hmp10 like this.
  2. blackrat

blackrat New Member

Vehicles:
    Volvo XC60
    Has the R1S an air compressor for the inflatable spare wheel and for other things like inflate bycicle tubes (with adapter) a.s.o.?
    I have seen pictures, that the R1T has it, but not sure about the R1S.

3. Skigh

Skigh Member

First Name:
    Skigh
    Vehicles:
    Jeep
    I was told in Seattle that the R1S will have a spare tire but not a full size one that will be located in a compartment in the back. R1T will have a full size spare.

4. skyote

skyote Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
    I think the R1S spare will be similar to the video below. I didn't know these existed prior to hearing the R1S would have one...

5. ElectricTrucking

ElectricTrucking Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Porsche 911
    These have been around for a long time. I had one in a 2001 Mercedes SLK. Never had to use it.

6. EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T
    I attended the public event in Normal, IL this past Sunday. One of the Rivian employees I talked with was the R1S team lead. Here's an excerpt from what I posted in the "R1T, R1S viewing opportunity Oct. 13 in Normal, Ill." thread:
    • Like the R1T, the R1S will have a full size spare tire. Trevor, R1S team lead, said they scrimped and scrapped for every last mm to fit one in. When I asked if this had anything to do with the R1S (and R1T but for a different reason) vehicle length increasing from the original spec sheet by about 2 inches, he smiled and said yes.
    • R1S will have USB and power outlets available in the cargo area like R1T, but no air compressor.

Administrator and Gene like this.
  7. Skigh

Skigh Member

First Name:
    Skigh
    Vehicles:
    Jeep
    That's great news... I hate to say it but as well intentioned as the employees were at the event, I felt some of them should have stuck to their lanes of knowledge. I didn't get the most confident answers from some people but when you asked what they were in charge of and focused the questions to that area, they appeared to know what they were talking about. It was hard I'm sure as they all wanted to be able to answer questions but some just didn't seem to have the general knowledge for questions that we would be asking. I had one guy tell me that the little console at the front of the R1T between the feet of the driver and passenger was a cup holder... made no sense... you'd have to reach down under the dash while driving to get to it...

Gene likes this.
  8. EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T
    Yes, I agree with that 100% and that's what I ended up doing. When I reflect back on the some of info that came from people where it wasn't in their wheelhouse I basically took it as a grain of salt. To be honest, you have to factor in that any of this information could easily change before it's officially announced. For the time being it's somewhat satiating a deep hungry for most of us to learn more about these EAVs, from the littlest of features to the nuts and bolts of warranty, service and maintenance that will be offered. I believe that is part of the reason why one of the team leads told me that they won't just release all this information at one time. Too much to digest at once and of course releasing in packets allows for the feedback to be more focused on a particular topic for their people to review and react to. And then there's also strategically releasing this information over time to keep Rivian's name in the media and interested parties to stay interested. Now, can they do a better job of this, perhaps. It's a (pseudo) start-up and they're going to have growing pains. One of which is hiring "quality" people to do the job. One Rivian rep said they are not looking to hire just a warm body, but someone that will do the job well and beyond because start-ups usually means you'll be wearing multiple hats in the beginning.

9. skyote

skyote Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
    I'm disappointed about the air compressor... There has to be one for the air suspension, right? Or is that a closed system?...I don't know how they work.

10. skyote

skyote Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
    Google yielded my answer...air suspensions do require a compressor. I guess the next question is whether the R1T makes use of the suspension compressor, or if there is a separate compressor in the back.

I guess worst case, I can just carry a portable one, but I sure did like the idea of the built in. I might not be as upset if it's a subwoofer that is using the space where the compressor access would have been...