Sponsored

Daytime Running lights (DRL) --turn off?

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Can anyone tell me if the Rivian daytime running lights can be turned off while driving? We are wildlife photographers and have found that not only does our quiet Bolt EV greatly improve our chances of seeing wildlife, but the ability to turn off the daytime running lights also improves our chances even more. Especially at dawn and dusk in the backcountry!! We'd like to be able to turn off the lights on our future Rivian, too. That huge unibrow would be more light that we'd like.;)
Sponsored

franke

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Elise
I've yet to see an image or video of the DRL light strip off while the Rivian models are driving. Of course that doesn't mean we won't have the option to turn them off in settings, but just haven't seen it done yet. Nor have I read anything from Rivian about being able to turn them off.

franke

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Elise
BTW did you know that the front DRL light bar doubles as a charge level indicator? It'll light up green while the Rivian is charging and will move based on the % charged. So cool.

Fully charged status:

Rivian R1T R1S Daytime Running lights (DRL) --turn off? Rivian DRL charge level indicator

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Can anyone tell me if the Rivian daytime running lights can be turned off while driving? ... We'd like to be able to turn off the lights on our future Rivian
Not sure. I'd also like the ability to turn off the DRL though for slightly different reasons. E.g. to avoid shinning your vehicle's DRL into a neighbors windows when backing-in / pulling out of a driveway. Or when sitting in your parked vehicle that faces traffic (e.g. parking lot, driveway) you need the vehicle running/on but don't want to be blinding, say, traffic going by or thru a restaurant window or some other place of business. Think about the times you have driven down a street at night or sitting in a restaurant trying to enjoy your meal and companions but someone in a vehicle in a parking lot is parked with their lights on blinding you. Always felt it was just common courtesy to turn off your vehicle's lights in those situations. Plus, if you don't need the DRL on, having the ability to turn them off means less drain on the battery. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Did we ever find out if the daytime running lights can be turned off or not??

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I too have not heard but I will try and remember to ask that on Saturday in Denver. I would assume that that is a setting in infotainment system similar to the Tesla low power setting or whatever Tesla calls it...it cuts off ALL extraneous lighting to maximize range for road trips....I get your point for turning off the DRL but only in certain circumstances like driving up to the gate at a Military installation, or at security checkpoints say at I-10 near El Paso....but dangit...that DRL is it's signature.

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Jimmy! That would be great if you could ask about that on Saturday!!!! Thanks!!!:like:

BGS

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just sold my F150 in anticipation of buying a Jeep Gladiator. That is, until I found you guys. Currently driving a 19 Mitsubishi Elcipse Cross because they had 0% financing. Also, a couple Harleys in the garage.
Clubs

In one of the promo vids the truck was in a power slide and it looked like the DRL's were off.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

So that was the one question I forgot to ask but towards the end of the night I got the chance to talk to RJ and while we were talking, he asked someone to turn down the brightness of the DRLs... Instead of turning them down, they turned them off so I'm sure that actually answered two questions... They turn off and are dimmable.
Sponsored