Featured Custom electric camp stove for the gear tunnel debuts at Overland Expo

Discussion in 'Rivian General Discussions' started by SpinDoc7, May 17, 2019.

1. SpinDoc7

SpinDoc7 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Subaru Outback XT LTD
    #1 SpinDoc7, May 17, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2019
    Get a load of this. — "Users can light their surroundings and cook using the vehicle’s power for over a week using only 20 kWh– or 11%– of the largest 180kWh Rivian battery pack." — Who's hungry?

rivian-r1t-cook-stove.jpg

rivian-r1t-cook-stove.jpg

Rivian Press Release:

May 17, 2019, Flagstaff, AZ – Electric adventure vehicle maker Rivian introduced its five-passenger R1T pickup to the attendees of Overland West at Fort Tuthill County Park in Flagstaff, Arizona.

The R1T is the first EV to appear at an Overland event.

“We’ve been coming to Overland for a few years now, learning from this community how they use their vehicles,” said Rivian Creative Director Larry Parker. “Much of what we’ve learned from Overland attendees has gone into our product design.”

Electric vehicles are inherently quiet and produce zero emissions. Rivian’s EVs feature quad-motor all-wheel drive, class-leading ground clearance, and over 400 miles of range. The Rivian R1T, along with the Rivian R1S SUV, deliver immense torque which provides optimal performance on unpredictable terrain and with heavy loads.

The R1T displayed at Overland West features a custom electric camp stove powered by the vehicle’s battery pack. The stove slides out from the vehicle’s gear tunnel for use, providing emissions-free kitchen capability.

Overland is a ten-year-old festival dedicated to the practice and gear of overlanding, a self-contained, vehicle- based exploration style inspired by safaris and other extended travel. Camping, cooking and outdoor recreation are at the core of overlanding.

Meet the R1T: The R1T will be at all three days of Overland West. At 2PM on Friday the 17th, 9AM and 2PM on Saturday the 18th, and at 1PM on Sunday the 19th, the Rivian team will be conducting walkarounds of the R1T, diving deep into the features that differentiate the vehicle from other outdoor vehicles and EVs.

The Outdoors and the R1T: facts and features
    • -With 750 horsepower and immense torque, the R1T comes designed for heavy loads and can tow up to 11,000 pounds.
    • -A ‘gear tunnel’ and front trunk allow for much more sealable storage found in a conventional off-road vehicle.
    • -At 180kwh, the R1T has the world’s largest, most durable automotive battery pack.
    • -The R1T and R1S offer up to 14 inches of ground clearance with adjustable air suspension.
    • -During downhill braking the R1T restores over half the energy used on the same upslope.
    • -Detailed, downloadable maps are available in the R1T’s user interface, so you can navigate even when offline.
    • -The R1T comes with a built-in air compressor and alarmed gear security loops.
    • -Users can light their surroundings and cook using the vehicle’s power for over a week using only 20 kWh– or 11%– of the largest 180kWh Rivian battery pack.
    • -The R1T is powered by four independent 200hp motors for maximum power and control.
    • -With its fully sealed battery pack and drive units, the R1T can wade through up to three feet of water.

2. ACDC

ACDC Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicles:
    2013 Outback, 2012 Tacoma
    Hah that is wicked cool! This gear tunnel is ripe for the aftermarket to develop all kinds of innovative products which have never been seen before on any vehicle, ICE or EV.

jimcgov3 and THOR like this.
  3. Jason's Rivian

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicles:
    Macan
    Emissions free cooking :like::rock:

And is that a new tent accessory? Haven't seen it before.

SpinDoc7 likes this.
  4. jimcgov3

jimcgov3 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    2016 Chevy Spark EV, Rivian R1T Reservation Holder
    No. It is nothing new. In one of the original Rivian videos, the truck is at the beach with a Rivian-branded Tepui tent mounted over the bed and deployed. I am not sure who makes that tent in the above ad.

5. SpinDoc7

Vehicles:
    Subaru Outback XT LTD
    Here are more details. Note, the kitchen prototype will be available as an option when the R1T launches, Rivian says.
    ・・・
    Inspired by past trips to @OverlandExpo, we’re excited to introduce our mobile kitchen prototype. It showcases just one of the many ways to utilize the extra storage space in the #R1T.
    The unit slides right out of the gear tunnel and incorporates two induction burners, a sink and 5 gallons of water storage. It was designed to keep all your cookware, place settings and coffee equipment organized while you’re out in the wild. And yes — it will be available at launch.

6. THOR

THOR Member

First Name:
    Thor
    Vehicles:
    VW wagon
    This is great. I am excited to see that a set of mounting locations are available for a full extension drawer. I don't want a kitchen, but I would love a tray or bins rather than reaching into the tunnel.

7. Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie Active Member

Vehicles:
    Chevy BoltEV
    I LIKE IT!! Love induction cooking...cook with it at home all the time. I bet that will be a very pricey little addition, though.

8. SpinDoc7

Vehicles:
    Subaru Outback XT LTD
    Here’s a video demo showing how it slides and stows.

9. DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie Well-Known Member

First Name:
    George
    Vehicles:
    2019 Acura RDX, 2014 Volvo XC60
    I noticed he said in the vid “available skid plates.”

Again making me wonder how many add ons you’re going to have to get the truck they are showing. We really need prices and option lists.

10. jimcgov3

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    The battery already has protection. The skid plates would add an additional layer. Also per other videos with Brian I've seen, the price, color, and option list will be sent out to preorder customers at the end of this year for those customers to spec out their Rivians.

11. skyote

skyote Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
    He did say the optional skid plates would be to protect the motors.

12. jimcgov3

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    My apologies. I missed that. Honestly though, no different than buying a truck from Ford, Nissan, or Chevy... You but a truck and depending on the package you get skid plates or not.

skyote likes this.
  13. ElectricTrucking

ElectricTrucking Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Porsche 911
    Being a preorder customer I'm looking forward to the opportunity to spec out my R1T.

skyote likes this.
  14. ElectricTrucking

ElectricTrucking Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Porsche 911
    #14 ElectricTrucking, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    The more Rivian tries to promote the R1T as a camper the more turned off I"m getting about the truck. There are many choices out there for a COMFORTABLE small camper without range anxiety. Still a reservation holder of over 6 months.

15. jimcgov3

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    Agreed. I was somewhat late to the show as I didn't preorder until I saw it in person at the NYIAS April 20th. I can't wait for that email.

skyote likes this.
  16. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Vehicles:
    Rivian
  17. binny

binny Member

Vehicles:
    prius prime
    I can only imagine the noise made from those utensils banging around in the course of driving.
    But still, a great idea.
    I'd like a portable shower with hot water too.
    Plus a berth with solid walls, not a floppy tent.
    Here's hoping.

18. Brewbud

Brewbud Member

First Name:
    Tab
    Vehicles:
    Dodge Cummins, 2005 Jeep LJR, 2011 Range Rover Evoque
    I have been hoping for info about a power source in the tunnel. I saw where it was lighted but I have seen no mention of power plugs. This leads me to believe there will be one available.

19. Rivet

Rivet New Member

Vehicles:
    Toyota Landcruiser Diesel 4x4
    Looks like a top idea to me :like:

20. EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T
    Charles Sanderson from Rivian mentions there is power in the gear tunnel during a Q&A at the Overland Expo that you can easily tap into, say, for charging your tools. Check out the video in forum thread "Australian 4WD Adventure Show interviews Charles Sanderson at Overland Expo"

Brewbud likes this.