CCS question...

Discussion in 'Tech: Batteries, Charging, Alternative Energy' started by Rockstar2020, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Rockstar2020

Rockstar2020 Member

Vehicles:
    R1T pre-order, Ford Expedition, Dodge Hellcat
    #1 Rockstar2020, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    So I have experience with charging a Tesla and a Nissan Leaf at home. Of course Tesla has its own plug and the Leaf uses the J Plug. I have a 220V 50 amp NEMA 14-50 receptacle in my garage. When I sold my leaf I was able to continue to use that outlet to plug my Tesla mobile connector into to get L2 charging. Will I still be able to use that receptacle for the Rivian CCS charger that will come with the truck? In simple words can I just plug whatever charging cord that comes with the Rivian into my 50 amp outlet and have L2 charging?

2. jimcgov3

jimcgov3 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    2016 Chevy Spark EV, Rivian R1T Reservation Holder
    Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
    Yes. Rivian uses CCS...the J-1772 plug. I have the WattZilla Wall Wattz 48A Level 2. It uses a NEMA 14-50 receptacle.

Rockstar2020 likes this.
  3. azjohnny

azjohnny Well-Known Member

First Name:
    john
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model S 100D Toyota Tundra
    I have been thinking about a Wattzilla product. How do you like your Wall Wattz? I have been thinking about the Black Mamba

4. jimcgov3

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    I really like it. My current use case is a 2016 Chevy SparkEV so it is way overkill. I bought it specifically to charge the R1T at it's max rate based off the 11kW onboard charger. They are no-frills units with only 1 moving part. No smarts, Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. I rely on what settings the Spark has to charge the car when I need the car to charge. It is an extremely well built product. It's footprint on the wall in my garage is minimal. I corresponded with Rich of Rich Rebuilds who said to talk to Frank. He was awesome and answered every question I had. I was bouncing back and forth between that and the ClipperCreek. The plastic housing ended up being the big negative for me on their unit, especially with it being $50 more than the Wall Wattz.

5. VinsRiv

VinsRiv Member

First Name:
    Vince
    Vehicles:
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Hi jimcgov3, I would like to know how you like the Wattz I’ll & why you chose that one compared to others. Thanks. Sorry just realized you pretty much answered that

6. skyote

skyote Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
    @jimcgov3 ,
    Just curious if you looked at the JuiceBox Pro options. They appear to get rave reviews, seem solidly built (and outdoor certified), and have some of the tech features that I believe I want.

I understand KISS line of thinking about the tech bells & whistles, and interested to see if that was even one you considered.

7. VinsRiv

VinsRiv Member

First Name:
    Vince
    Vehicles:
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    I really didn’t look into juice box yet, I have looked into ClipperCreek,i was pretty much sold on it but happen to like the Wattz for the size it is smaller than ClipperCreek. I am in early stages for this cause i am interested in Eva’s but looking for a larger vehicle than what’s out there. Rivian seems the one to fit the bill here just waiting to see how they come along, thanks for your thoughts

8. jimcgov3

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    @VinsRiv
    I really like the Wall Wattz. It's solid construction, no frills EVSE.

@skyote
    I only considered the ClipperCreek and the WattZilla. Both charge at 48A. Didn't see the need to go to 18kW if there Rivian only goes to 11kW. If Rivian decides to upgrade the onboard to 17.2 or 22kW then I'm out of luck anyways... I'd have to upgrade my service, panel, and so on. I'm definitely a smart home dork. I have Samsung SmartThings, Nests products, switches, outlets, Alexas in every room in the house, Sonos throughout...but this was one product I felt that I didn't need to be smart as the vehicle has all the smarts I need. Heck, even my Chevy SparkEV has enough smarts to know when I want it to charge.

Sorry for the long-winded answer.

skyote likes this.
  9. skyote

skyote Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
    I had been looking at the 40A/10kw Juicebox for 550.

I also don't know what to expect in regard to the Rivian smarts around their onboard charger. Apparently they have some very good battery management IP, so I'm looking forward to seeing how that is applied in their vehicles & the ownership experience.

10. jimcgov3

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    @skyote ... I'm sure if it's anything like Tesla, you can charge up to a certain percentage nightly... Leave it plugged in all day and it will only charge when you allow it to charge off either an app setting or in the infotainment system.

skyote likes this.
  11. ajdelange

ajdelange Well-Known Member

First Name:
    A. J.
    Vehicles:
    Tesla X 100D 2018
    In simple words: I don't know and won't until I see what cord(s) comes with the Rivian. It is reasonable to assume that they will follow Tesla's example and supply some sort of charging interface to keep in the car/truck and it is also reasonable to assume that it will come with at least a NEMA 5-15P and probably a 14-50P cord or perhaps a 14-30P but we'll have to wait to get a definite answer.

As has been pointed out already in this thread there are several manufacturers of EV chargers that have the CCS connector and which plug into a 14-50R so you will be able to use that outlet one way or another. But note that a 14-50R can be installed on a 40A or 50A circuit. Derated as required that means a draw of, respectively, 32 or 40 amps for charging power of or 7.68 or 9.6 kW whilst the R1S and R1T the chargers are capable of 11.5 kW and are, thus, usable on circuits up to 60A. It thus seems that Rivian may be planning to offer something like the Tesla HPWC which, if programmable as is the HPWC (internal rotary switch), could be programmed for 32 or 40 A, fitted with a 14-50P and plugged into the existing outlet. If full vehicle charger capacity is wanted the wiring and breaker will have to be beefed up to 60A. This would probably be hard wired but could be, equipped with a 14-60P cord set, plugged into a 14-60R.