Captains Chairs in middle row?

EMcWhirter

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette GS, GMC Yukon, GMC Sierra, Tesla Model X
Has anybody seen anything about the option for captains chairs in the middle row?
I've currently got a GMC Yukon and swapped out the bench seat for a seat of captains chairs and it makes the 3rd row much more convenient. Have the 6 seater configuration in a Model X as well.

I'm really hoping theres an option for this.

Is anybody else hoping for the same thing or is it just me?
Sponsored

Skigh

First Name
Skigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Has anybody seen anything about the option for captains chairs in the middle row?
I've currently got a GMC Yukon and swapped out the bench seat for a seat of captains chairs and it makes the 3rd row much more convenient. Have the 6 seater configuration in a Model X as well.

EMcWhirter, I know for a fact this is on their radar and might be an option soon. I spoke to one of the engineers in Seattle and he brought this up as an item that they are aware of and are working on as they know people want the flexibility of that.

OP
OP

EMcWhirter

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette GS, GMC Yukon, GMC Sierra, Tesla Model X
Thank you for your reply!
It's pretty important in my decision to buy the vehicle.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I want the opposite.

I will get the rear bench & wish there was a front option for a middle seat w/ folding console. Yes, like the Cybertruck. I've had both styles of front seats in trucks & vastly prefer the folding console & extra seat.

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In fact, without the transmission tunnel, Rivian could do an awesome storage compartment under the middle seat.

Even better if they insulated it a little & it could double as a cooler!

Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey

Rear seat comfort is one of the main reasons I'm planning to replace my Tesla Model S with an R1S instead of a Model X. Since I'm opting for the 180 kWh battery pack and won't get the third row, I am hoping the absence of the third row will allow the second row seats (whether bench or captain's chairs) to be adjusted further back to maximum stretch-out room when running the front seats fully back.

While I would like the option of captain's chairs and might consider them once I see how they are designed, I wouldn't mind a bench seat as long as it has a good drop-down center armrest. (I have twice test driven a Tesla Model X and found the rear bench seat in the 5-seat configuration was considerably more comfortable than the captain's chairs in the 6-seat configuration. The bench seat could be pushed further backward than the captain's chairs, and the chairs were oddly narrow.)

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
In fact, without the transmission tunnel, Rivian could do an awesome storage compartment under the middle seat.

Funny when I see the absence of the transmission tunnel - it screams a place for women to put their purse. Maybe I have not been in enough cars but most women carry purses, and 9/10 times when they are driving they hand it to me! I don't have a place for it either! Lol. Rivian has an ideal spot, but I have not seen it in person - will in January though...

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
As a father with 3 young kids planning on choosing the 135 kWh version, I am hoping to be able to put my 2 youngest in 5 point seats in the middle row and my eldest in a full back booster in the third row. I would keep the other 3rd row seat down for cargo. This could only work if the second row bench sections will allow to be lifted with a car seat attached, like in the Pathfinder/QX 60.

Captain chairs would work too, even more if they can me moved sideways like in the latest Honda Odyssey.

Last option would be the 3 car seats in the second row… Hopefully 3 full sets of latch anchors will be provided.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I would also like a second-row captain's chair option, but for a different reason. I'm looking at an R1S as the EV with the most commodious rear seating for older adults, and captain's chairs would fit the bill nicely. I'm also looking at a Lucid Air, which promises very good rear legroom horizontally but is going to have a low seating position with low ingress and egress.

Sponsored

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
I believe that is a federal mandate called LATCH but I'm not 100% certain it applies to ALL rear seating.
My understanding is that the mandate is for a minimum of 3 top tethers, but only 2 sets of bottom anchors. Plenty of cars out there have the center position share a bottom anchor with one of the sides, or have no center anchors at all. Considering the size of the R1S, hopefully Rivian will provide 3 full sets on the middle bench and 2 full sets in the 3rd row.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet

At the SF event in Mill Valley they showed us the storage under the middle row seats as well as the R1T ...not lockable but definitely good storage!

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
At the SF event in Mill Valley they showed us the storage under the middle row seats as well as the R1T
So the R1S has storage under the entire second row of seats? Don't recall hearing that before other than on the R1T. Nice.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So the R1S has storage under the entire second row of seats? Don't recall hearing that before other than on the R1T. Nice.
You can kind of see the space on this pic. Due to the seats folding, it's just open space (no tubs/dividers), from what I understand.

Rivian R1T R1S Captains Chairs in middle row? 2018_11_R1S_1

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I wonder if that space goes away when configured with the 180 kWh battery pack? I know the largest battery pack precludes the 3rd row seating.
Sponsored