Sponsored

Bike pads and cameras

Melkirin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
I will be using a bike pad over the tail gate for mountain bikes a lot. Most pads have a window patch you can open up to access the gate handle, which a lot of times is also where the backup camera is located.

Does anyone know the location of the rear camera and if it will be covered by a bike pad? Also tangentially related question, will the truck have 360 degree camera coverage?
Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Does anyone know the location of the rear camera and if it will be covered by a bike pad?
I'm not sure where the R1T cameras are located on the backside of the R1T. (I've attached a couple of pics of the R1T back-end with tailgate closed. See below) Most bike pads usually don't cover beyond the bottom of the tailgate and I doubt Rivian has placed any cameras in the tailgate. I believe heard a Rivian rep (Brian?) say the R1T can be driven with the tailgate down/open (90 degrees) for long loads, so that would obviously negate any camera(s) in the tailgate. What might be an issue is the bike's front end / tire. Depending on the type of mountain bike the front wheel can hang low over the tailgate, beyond the bike pad, potentially interfering with the rear camera(s) down by the bumper/license plate area.

Also tangentially related question, will the truck have 360 degree camera coverage?
Not sure but both EAVs will provide out of the gate Level 2 autonomy with I believe the necessary hardware to support Level 3 when the software becomes available. I don't know enough about any minimum camera requirements/coverage on a vehicle to support Level 2 and eventually Level 3. I suspect Rivian will have 360 degree coverage but to be honest that's a total WAG on my part.

Rivian R1T R1S Bike pads and cameras Rivian_R1T_backend

Rivian R1T R1S Bike pads and cameras Rivian_R1T_backend2

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I spoke with Jeff Hammoud at the Denver event and while they did add LIDAR and your sensors to the vehicles above, they did NOT add all of the cameras. There will be rear cameras in the spoiler up where most trucks have the 3rd brake light.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
I can also confirm that not all the cameras are present in the prototype vehicles. At the Denver event I was specifically told about cameras would be added under the side-view mirrors looking backwards. There was also a rumor? about a Tesla-like sentry mode that could watch the contents of the truck bed, which could be the camera jimcgov3 speaks of.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There will be rear cameras in the spoiler up where most trucks have the 3rd brake light.
I suspect this camera would not be used for autonomous driving as it could be easily impaired by the payload in the bed. So I would think there would be additional cameras somewhere on the back of the vehicle and/or as @aAlpine mentioned from the side-view mirrors, though if just the latter there would be a blind spot directly behind the vehicle. A common place I've found the rear view or backing up camera on other vehicles is just above the license plates. None the less, @Melkirin concerns seem warranted as I suspect there will be some type of camera on the vehicle's back-end, just need to find out where.

There was also a rumor? about a Tesla-like sentry mode that could watch the contents of the truck bed, which could be the camera jimcgov3 speaks of.
I've been wondering what (not if) Rivian will provide in terms of a security system. Hope this rumor pans out.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I know I heard that there will be 18 cameras total, so I'm assuming there should be more than adequate rear-facing coverage.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I know I heard that there will be 18 cameras total, so I'm assuming there should be more than adequate rear-facing coverage.
I believe I heard that too. But the OPs concern was not if there will be adequate rear coverage but whether he would be compromising that coverage with the bike pad covering one or more of those cameras.
Sponsored