Bidirectional home chargers

Discussion in 'Batteries, Charging, Alternative Energy' started by Mjhirsch78, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Mjhirsch78

Mjhirsch78 Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicles:
    Honda Odyssey will become an RT1
    Teacher
    With the Quasar charger at CES pushing the idea of chargers at home that can turn the Rivian into a battery for the few times a year we lose power, what hurdles do we have to this becoming a reality? For those of you with a broader knowledge of all the options and hurdles, what are we up against to make this a reality? Even my wife who generally tunes me out when I go into another “EVs are amazing” rant was excited about that idea.

P.S. If this has been covered in these forums, forgive me and direct me to that conversation. Thanks!

2. CappyJax

CappyJax Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Subaru Forester
    Just hope the power doesn't go out right after you get home from a long trip.

I wanted to build a light weight tiny home that used the Rivian as the battery source, but that would require Rivian to have some sort of high output feature. I believe the 120V plugs will be a mere 500 watts, and I think 3,600 watts would be the absolute minimum you would need for a small tiny house. For a large home, you would probably need a 12,000 watt plug.

A better way would be to make the DC voltage of the battery available and have the inverter in the house.

3. ajdelange

ajdelange Well-Known Member

First Name:
    A. J.
    Vehicles:
    Tesla X 100D 2018
    This has been discussed if not "covered" in various fora but there are so many I wouldn't know where to direct you.

A major hurdle right now is that the NEC requires EVSE installed in the US to have circuitry that prevents backfeed of energy from the EVSE to the circuit feeding it. This is, of course, in direct opposition to the intent of the Quasar concept. I believe that prior to NEC doing this there would have to be development of standards that insure interconnectability between vehicle, EVSE, house wiring and grid. This latter might be a major one as the utilities aren't much interested in having homeowners feeding them power. It's electrically quite doable (inverter in the EVSE) and is, I believe, being done experimentally in Asia and Europe.

Then you would have to convince the market place that it wants this technology. I want my house electrical system to keep my BEVs charged - not discharge them. Seems to me that Power Walls and similar setups are better solutions for load shifting. micro grids etc. but that's just my opinion.

azjohnny likes this.