(Bed) size matters

Discussion in 'R1T Pickup Discussions' started by R1T4ME, Mar 17, 2019.

1. R1T4ME

R1T4ME New Member

First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicles:
    F150, Stg3 B5 S4, R6, piles of jetskis, atvs and scooters
    I love everything about this truck except the fact that they aren't offering a bigger bed. I was one of the first people to place a reservation but did so with the hope that a bigger bed would be available by launch time. If one isn't I will be canceling my order. If a truck can't fit a pile of dirt bikes or an ATV in it then it is not a truck that I can own. For me, that single feature is a deal breaker. Most summer weekends entail pulling a jetski trailer with one or more land toys in the bed. That said, my question to the group is, if a bigger bed were available, who would actually pick the size they are currently offering instead?

2. Cactusone

Cactusone Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicles:
    Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
    I for one would like to see a bigger bed.

3. R1T4ME

R1T4ME New Member

First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicles:
    I am going to go out on a limb and say that I suspect that pretty close to 100% of all prospective truck buyers would be willing to accept 1-2 feet of overall vehicle length in order to gain 1-2 feet of bed length. This needs to be collectively voiced now while we still have a chance to influence the product design and potentially save Rivian from stepping on their own pecker walking out of the gate.

4. sdTom

sdTom Member

First Name:
    Thomas
    Vehicles:
    Audi E-Tron, Tacoma 2004
    the longer bed would affect offroading negatively though right / takeoff angles and such?

they aren't making a work truck, as emphasized by branding.

how many 4 door trucks have full length 8' beds currently? particularly in the smaller trucks.. tacoma, ranger, etc.. i know when i bought my tacoma in 2004 the bed size shrsnk when going to 4 door... as a 4 door with full bed is a very long vehicle/doesnt fit in some garages

5. R1T4ME

R1T4ME New Member

First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicles:
    The only bed length they are offering thus far is 55 inches. I don't want/need 8 feet, but you've gotta give me more than 4. Most 4 door trucks come with at least 5.5. My FX4 (off road package) F150 still had the option of 6.5 which is what I chose and even with that I still have to drop my tailgate to fit my full size ATV as it is. I am willing to lose some but not 2 feet.

6. GJMOH

GJMOH Member

Vehicles:
    2008 Lamdcruiser, 2014 Corvette
    Leave gate flat for more bed?

7. Zach05855

Zach05855 New Member

First Name:
    Zachary
    Vehicles:
    Jaguar I-Pace
    agreed, my only concern is the bed length. My Ram had a 5.5 ft bed and Titan had a 6 ft bed.

8. ElectricTrucking

ElectricTrucking Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Porsche 911
    I've had two full size Chevy trucks with short beds and an El Camino. The Rivian is shorter than those but my needs have changed and I will welcome the Rivian bed size. For many even the long bed on a standard truck will be too short at times.

jimcgov3 likes this.
  9. Feathermerchant

First Name:
    James
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model 3 P+, 2011 F150 SC 8ft bed
    My current truck is a 2011 F150 SC 8ft bed. Great to sleep in and haul stuff but unwieldy around town not to mention off road. I think I could live with Rivian's really short bed.

jimcgov3 likes this.
  10. azjohnny

azjohnny Member

First Name:
    john
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model S 100D Toyota Tundra
    Comparing Rivian to Toyota products Tundra and Tacoma. I have had both and the Tacoma is much better off road than the Tundra. I see the Rivian as having the cab size of the Tundra but the bed of the Tacoma. Its been a while since I have used the bed of my Tundra so really not an issue with the small bed of the Rivian for me

11. jfrench

jfrench Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicles:
    Toyota Land Cruiser x2 (for sale when the R1T gets delivered), Land Rover Range Rover (wife's rig)
    New to the forum so reading through all this older stuff and responding...

I would almost certainly NOT choose a bigger bed. My needs/wants are different than hauling toys like you want to do. I will be using it as an off road family camping rig so like the shorter wheelbase and presumed better departure angle that the smaller bed affords.

I must be in the minority here. I wouldn't, for the reasons stated above. And there is ZERO chance Rivian is listening to the point that forum talk would influence design decisions, now or back in March. Let the pecker stomping begin.

jimcgov3 and aAlpine like this.
  12. fastwheels

fastwheels Member

First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicles:
    Cadillac CTS V-Sport, GMC Canyon
    Add me to your minority... The R1T is about at the max length I am willing to live with.

Rad and ElectricTrucking like this.
  13. Montiggs

Montiggs New Member

Vehicles:
    Honda Ridgeline
    I think the length should just make my list. I'm worried about the width. Can a sheet of plywood lay flat? Will the wheel well bumps mess with that? The small bed in my ridgeline is as small as a bed should be.

14. Montiggs

Montiggs New Member

Vehicles:
    Honda Ridgeline
    What's the beds width? The length should make the cut in my book. I'm concerned that the wheel well bumps will not allow for an 8x4 sheet of plywood to lay flat.

15. azjohnny

azjohnny Member

First Name:
    john
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model S 100D Toyota Tundra
    I can guarantee a 8'x4' sheet of plywood will not lay flat in the bed. I am expecting a bed size of a Toyota Tacoma or Chevy Colorado

16. EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T
    According to the spec sheet the R1T has the following bed dimensions (I converted them to inches): Width: 54.5”, Length (gate up / down): 55” / 82.7”

So an 8x4 sheet of plywood will fit width wise but probably not lay flat due to the wheel wells. And certainly NOT fit length wise with the tailgate closed.

17. Rockstar2020

Rockstar2020 Member

Vehicles:
    Tesla MX, Ford Expedition, Dodge Hellcat
    I am good with the short bed as I haul my toys in a covered trailer. However I suspect many folks would like an optional 5.5 bed if that is possible. Maybe a future HD version with a 5.5 or 6 ?

18. EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T
    I do not believe Rivian will be building a larger pickup, at least under the Rivian brand. I recently had read (unfortunately I don't recall the source) where RJ Scaringe was asked something similar to this (e.g. building a larger, work / construction size pickup) and he basically said no. I don't believe Rivian is looking to compete with those HD / larger pickup trucks as they are a different segment of consumer that Rivian is targeting.

I did find the following from a very good Seattle Times piece back in February on RJ and Rivian -
    "... Scaringe said Rivian was looking to do for autos what Patagonia has done for outdoor clothing, aiming for an upscale but utility-focused consumer. His goal is to make a pickup and SUV that are premium and give buyers a spirit of adventure, but with clean emissions and great technology, including over-the-air updates.
    “Tesla did an outstanding job,” Scaringe said. “They pulled customers out of luxury cars and even the Toyota Prius. You’ll see us pulling people out of Land Rovers, BMWs, Subarus and Teslas.”
    "

skyote likes this.
  19. Sparty97

Sparty97 New Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicles:
    Nissan Armada
    Technology Consultant
    The shorter bed length works for me. I haul a lot of little stuff and don't need it for work. Mostly mountain bikes, camping gear, hunting gear (and on a rare occasion some game) and some small home projects. Full sized trucks end up parking outside (and in the snow in the winter) at my home. Plus, the short bed makes it easier in the parking garage at work.

skyote and Rad like this.