(Bed) size matters

Discussion in 'R1T Pickup Discussions' started by R1T4ME, Mar 17, 2019.

1. R1T4ME

R1T4ME New Member

First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicles:
    F150, Stg3 B5 S4, R6, piles of jetskis, atvs and scooters
    I love everything about this truck except the fact that they aren't offering a bigger bed. I was one of the first people to place a reservation but did so with the hope that a bigger bed would be available by launch time. If one isn't I will be canceling my order. If a truck can't fit a pile of dirt bikes or an ATV in it then it is not a truck that I can own. For me, that single feature is a deal breaker. Most summer weekends entail pulling a jetski trailer with one or more land toys in the bed. That said, my question to the group is, if a bigger bed were available, who would actually pick the size they are currently offering instead?

2. Cactusone

Cactusone Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicles:
    Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
    I for one would like to see a bigger bed.

3. R1T4ME

R1T4ME New Member

First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicles:
    I am going to go out on a limb and say that I suspect that pretty close to 100% of all prospective truck buyers would be willing to accept 1-2 feet of overall vehicle length in order to gain 1-2 feet of bed length. This needs to be collectively voiced now while we still have a chance to influence the product design and potentially save Rivian from stepping on their own pecker walking out of the gate.

4. sdTom

sdTom Member

First Name:
    Thomas
    Vehicles:
    Audi E-Tron, Tacoma 2004
    the longer bed would affect offroading negatively though right / takeoff angles and such?

they aren't making a work truck, as emphasized by branding.

how many 4 door trucks have full length 8' beds currently? particularly in the smaller trucks.. tacoma, ranger, etc.. i know when i bought my tacoma in 2004 the bed size shrsnk when going to 4 door... as a 4 door with full bed is a very long vehicle/doesnt fit in some garages

5. R1T4ME

R1T4ME New Member

First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicles:
    The only bed length they are offering thus far is 55 inches. I don't want/need 8 feet, but you've gotta give me more than 4. Most 4 door trucks come with at least 5.5. My FX4 (off road package) F150 still had the option of 6.5 which is what I chose and even with that I still have to drop my tailgate to fit my full size ATV as it is. I am willing to lose some but not 2 feet.

6. GJMOH

GJMOH Member

Vehicles:
    2008 Lamdcruiser, 2014 Corvette
    Leave gate flat for more bed?

7. Zach05855

Zach05855 New Member

First Name:
    Zachary
    Vehicles:
    Jaguar I-Pace
    agreed, my only concern is the bed length. My Ram had a 5.5 ft bed and Titan had a 6 ft bed.

8. ElectricTrucking

ElectricTrucking Active Member

Vehicles:
    Porsche 911
    I've had two full size Chevy trucks with short beds and an El Camino. The Rivian is shorter than those but my needs have changed and I will welcome the Rivian bed size. For many even the long bed on a standard truck will be too short at times.

9. Feathermerchant

Feathermerchant New Member

First Name:
    James
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model 3 P+, 2011 F150 SC 8ft bed
    My current truck is a 2011 F150 SC 8ft bed. Great to sleep in and haul stuff but unwieldy around town not to mention off road. I think I could live with Rivian's really short bed.