First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Rivian is going to make the f150 which will almost certainly be much cheaper and benefit from the same platform
Incorrect. Ford had already started development of the F-150 before the investment. Best of luck to you. Hopefully you find that sweet spot between Ford and Land Rover.

I believe Ford has indicated that both the F-150 and Mach-E are their own. I believe it has also been stated that the collaboration with Rivian with yield a Lincoln branded vehicle.
Correct. Per this article dated the day the investment was announced.

"Ford had already planned to spend $11 billion to develop nearly two dozen electric vehicles, including a small S.U.V. due next year and a version of its F-150 pickup truck. The company plans to use Rivian’s skateboard chassis to produce additional models."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/24/...Ford Motor has agreed to,the end of next year.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I think the car they are showing is over 100k.
All show vehicles are the 135 (i.e. mid-range) and are all priced well under $100k.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

We are all curious of what the prices will be for our vehicles once we finally get to build them. The part I am having a hard time understanding is why some of the posts on here seem to be so much negative conjecture. We know 2 things for sure. The R1T starts at $69,000 and the R1S starts at $72,500. We know a third thing, and that is that per RJ, you can get a 180kWh version of the R1T for under $90,000. Per an article from CarBuzz dated 24 February, GTM also asked if Rivian has already set pricing for the 400-mile range models. "We haven't yet," Scaringe said. "But we will have a version of the big-range vehicle that's sub-$90,000." https://carbuzz.com/news/rivian-says-its-400-mile-models-will-cost-less-than-90000. Instead of throwing out arbitrary numbers just to get people's blood pressure to spike, lets talk about the stuff that we would like to see most, or what we MUST have in our vehicles vs. the CAN DO WITHOUTS as far as the accessories and options that we do know about. Rant over.

OP
OP

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX, 2014 Volvo XC60
Not trying to be negative. Just giving an opinion. Wish Rivian the best. My initial impression of what they were going for was a mass market truck. They’ve said they are more akin to the Land Rover segment. Those cars start and one number but soar to twice that with options.

Rivian has been pretty mum on pricing and options. Tesla also touted amazing prices that would come one day but couldn’t make it happen. The 69k truck isn’t being built to start much like the 35k model 3.

I think it will be a great truck for those who can afford it. I personally will be stunned if those cars come in at under 100k. If they do that’s great. But you spec out a model S or X or a Land River to fully load them and you are at well over 100. Rivian is doing a lot more options than Tesla as well. Tesla is Battery, paint, wheels, performance, interior, self driving. Rivian is doing a lot more than that in terms of things you can upgrade to.

It’s easy for any company to show you a fully loaded BMW M series than talk the base starting price to get folks excited. That’s marketing.

That said Rivian will be fine. That can make the bulk of their profit on fleet sales and technology partners and then can afford to make high luxury niche vehicles. It’s a smart way to go. If they have any interest in mass market it’s a long ways away. That’s my bad for misinterpreting their initial marketing.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
I often wonder if they are being quiet on any more pricing until Tesla releases their truck info. Not that Rivian will be built the same or have the same fit or finish as Tesla. But by having this slow approach to deliver the Rivian competition will end up showing what they are offering and when (ie B1 and B2 for 125k).

Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I found an article from October 8 -- https://www.futurecar.com/3525/Rivian-R1T-Whats-Going-on-With-Rivians-New-Pricing-Plan -- that included this passage:

"Both the Rivian R1S and R1T can be ordered in three states. Buyers can choose between an entry-level 400 horsepower model, 750hp mid-range model and a 700hp long-range model. The two trucks will share a state-of-the-art traction control and quad-motor all-wheel-drive system."

Any idea what that is all about? Why only three states? Why present tense?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Any idea what that is all about? Why only three states? Why present tense?
They mean configurations...referring to the 105, 135, & 180 packs and their corresponding performance specs.

Appears to be a case of poor wording & jounalism.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Uh, duh . . . why didn't I catch that?

Colosaleen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, Aston Martin Vantage Roadster, Dodge Viper RT/10, Saleen S351R Speedster
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So.... seeing in person and driving is the key for me. When I buy a new vehicle, I am buying “why it exists and how it makes me feel”. Right now I like what I see in pictures and why Rivian exists but will NOT be cinched until I sit in it, run my hands along it, crawl under it and drive it. Just vapor ware at the moment but I am very excited and intrigued by this truck version. It is just about everything I would have wanted in a new truck if designed from scratch.

I actually agree with the three versions potentially offered. I am only looking at top performance and top range offering. Having said that, I enjoy driving and connecting with the vehicles I own. That is the experience I want. While might be so wrong to others however I would check the box to have no autonomous driving option. Would prefer a bare bones performance off road version that meets my needs and can tow. No auto braking, no this or that unnecessary nanny controls. I like a luxurious feel interior and ride but don’t need all the extras. Don’t even need a sunroof. Just give me all that best performance value for under $85k out the door, taxes, credits, etc. included and it is a win.

Again have a lot of hope here for this Rivian offering and if it knocks me off my feet in real life, I will buy one. Upset I missed the Colorado showing to see it in real life.

I like Tesla’s too but they are the Toyota Camry of the EV world. Four at every intersection when I stop in this part of the world. Great for EVs and much respect to them but they don’t speak to me like this Rivian offering. For me, if I see another of my vehicles in a week, I just don’t like it. Ha! Ha! I know first world problems, but work hard to enjoy things in life. A vehicle is not an appliance to me like so many others out think of them. Must have passion in life.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Just vapor ware at the moment but I am very excited and intrigued by this truck version.
Nice overall post. I'm with you for about 99% it. Not to nitpick but I really don't understand when Rivian EAVs are referred to as vaporware. From someone that has seen them in person and seen driven (into transport truck at end of the event) and are currently being test driven in Tierra del Fuego, Argentina, (while at the same time being used to film "Long Way Up" with Ewan McGregor) are far from being vaporware (e.g. "vaporware ... it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed").

Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Configuration emails will be sent sometime in 2020, presumably in the first half of the year. While you certainly don't have to commit to an order before test driving, I expect the emails will go out before the first test drives. If you decide to wait for a test drive, it may put you farther back in line than if you commit to an order as soon as the build/price system is available. In any event, it does sound like test drives will be available at some point prior to the initial customer deliveries (i.e. launch at the end of 2020).
Ditto @timf . From attending the Normal event a few weeks ago this is the exact impression / responses I got from talking to multiple Rivian employees including one that is working on the online configurator and another that is working on the ordering logistics and purchase proposal to RJ.

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
I'm considering the 135 (possibly the 180 depending on incremental cost). I can sympathize with the "vaporware" comment. Look at Ford's experience with the F150 - how may millions built? Buying an early run Rivian will be a bit of an act of faith. Will they stand behind the issues that will inevitably come up in the real world testing by the early purchasers and will they have in place the necessary support infrastructure?

On the other hand, the design is compelling -- in terms of storage and capability. Further, all the early indications about the company and the product are right on the money. If Ford's investment includes sharing lessons on production / support / etc., it should show in product quality.

One big plus factor will be the commitment Rivian and its team have to making their first production models the best they can. A highly motivated team is likely to deliver better product than one thinking about a strike.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm considering the 135 (possibly the 180 depending on incremental cost). I can sympathize with the "vaporware" comment. Look at Ford's experience with the F150 - how may millions built? Buying an early run Rivian will be a bit of an act of faith. Will they stand behind the issues that will inevitably come up in the real world testing by the early purchasers and will they have in place the necessary support infrastructure?

On the other hand, the design is compelling -- in terms of storage and capability. Further, all the early indications about the company and the product are right on the money. If Ford's investment includes sharing lessons on production / support / etc., it should show in product quality.

One big plus factor will be the commitment Rivian and its team have to making their first production models the best they can. A highly motivated team is likely to deliver better product than one thinking about a strike.
Real vehicles doing real things is far beyond "vaporware". Ford apparently has enough confidence in Rivian to allow them to manufacture the entire Ford-branded (likely Lincoln) vehicle.

That demonstrates a level of confidence, right?

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
The Ford and Amazon investments are significant votes of confidence. It will be a real plus if Ford is also sharing its know how on production with Rivian.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Ford and Amazon investments are significant votes of confidence. It will be a real plus if Ford is also sharing its know how on production with Rivian.
I've read that Ford is lending manufacturing expertise.
Sponsored