Alcantara Headliner

Discussion in 'Rivian General Discussions' started by skyote, Jul 2, 2019.

1. skyote

skyote Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
    Who has firsthand experience with Alcantara headliners, and what are your thoughts?

2. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
    My car has one but, frankly, I never pay any attention to it one way or the other. It came standard with the trim level for which I opted, but I would not have ordered it as an extra. My car also has Alcantara inserts on parts of the dashboard top (again, something for which I did not opt). I'm not a fan of the look for that application, but it seems to be holding up fine. I do keep the car garaged and have the windows tinted, though, so it's not subject to a lot of abuse.

skyote likes this.
  3. skyote

skyote Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
    I was wondering if it made a noticeable difference in how the interior "feels", better for noise, etc.

I'm guessing I probably wouldn't pay much attention either, and will probably opt for a basic headliner, especially if Alcantara is an added cost option.

Also curious if Alcantara might be more of a pain if ever in a dusty area & dust ends up getting inside.

4. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
    The nap on the Alcantara is not very deep; it feels like a soft suede. I've been able to wipe it with a duster with no problem, and the Alcantara on the dashboard doesn't seem to accumulate any more dust than the rest of the dashboard. But then, I never drive the Tesla with the windows down and see very little dust in the car, anyway. I don't have any specific information, but I doubt if it would make much difference with acoustics.

Alcantara was invented by the same outfit that developed Ultrasuede, and it feels a lot like it. It does reportedly wear well in seating applications and has flame-retardant characteristics (which is why it's used in race cars). However, I have never worn out my leather cars seats or had the interior catch fire. Personally, I think Alcantara is a bit of a design fad that just creates another upcharge opportunity for auto makers.

I would opt or not opt for it based on whether I liked its look or feel enough to pay a premium, not for its other claimed advantages. As for me, I don't think it would ever get noticed on a headliner, I do not like it on a dashboard, and I could go either way on it as a seating surface. It wouldn't keep me from buying a car if Alcantara was in it, but I wouldn't pay extra for it, either.

5. ElectricTrucking

ElectricTrucking Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Porsche 911
    I have an Alcantara head liner in my 911. It came standard now it is an option. I don't give it much mind and would not pay for the option.

skyote and Hmp10 like this.