Sponsored

Alcantara Headliner

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Who has firsthand experience with Alcantara headliners, and what are your thoughts?
Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
My car has one but, frankly, I never pay any attention to it one way or the other. It came standard with the trim level for which I opted, but I would not have ordered it as an extra. My car also has Alcantara inserts on parts of the dashboard top (again, something for which I did not opt). I'm not a fan of the look for that application, but it seems to be holding up fine. I do keep the car garaged and have the windows tinted, though, so it's not subject to a lot of abuse.

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I was wondering if it made a noticeable difference in how the interior "feels", better for noise, etc.

I'm guessing I probably wouldn't pay much attention either, and will probably opt for a basic headliner, especially if Alcantara is an added cost option.

Also curious if Alcantara might be more of a pain if ever in a dusty area & dust ends up getting inside.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
The nap on the Alcantara is not very deep; it feels like a soft suede. I've been able to wipe it with a duster with no problem, and the Alcantara on the dashboard doesn't seem to accumulate any more dust than the rest of the dashboard. But then, I never drive the Tesla with the windows down and see very little dust in the car, anyway. I don't have any specific information, but I doubt if it would make much difference with acoustics.

Alcantara was invented by the same outfit that developed Ultrasuede, and it feels a lot like it. It does reportedly wear well in seating applications and has flame-retardant characteristics (which is why it's used in race cars). However, I have never worn out my leather cars seats or had the interior catch fire. Personally, I think Alcantara is a bit of a design fad that just creates another upcharge opportunity for auto makers.

I would opt or not opt for it based on whether I liked its look or feel enough to pay a premium, not for its other claimed advantages. As for me, I don't think it would ever get noticed on a headliner, I do not like it on a dashboard, and I could go either way on it as a seating surface. It wouldn't keep me from buying a car if Alcantara was in it, but I wouldn't pay extra for it, either.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I have an Alcantara head liner in my 911. It came standard now it is an option. I don't give it much mind and would not pay for the option.
Sponsored