Sponsored

400+ Escalade EV for 2021— what does this forum think?

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
just saw this article and wanted to share it with this forum and hear your opinions.

Cadillac Escalade EV SUV Is Coming With 400 Miles Of Range
https://insideevs.com/news/360965/cadillac-escalade-ev-400-miles-range/

I still think the Rivian R1S/R1T will be superior not just for the performance and ride quality but for the next-gen electronics. At least I hope so but would love the opinions of others that may have more experience and knowledge in owning a EVs. I have rented GM’s on business travel and their quality I think has been good in the last few years.

Thanks for the discussions in advance
Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
My limited experience with Cadillac is that back in 2006/7 when I was shopping around for an SUV, I talked to a Cadillac rep about a hybrid or electric version of the Escalade. He said in the next year, two at most. Clearly that did not happen. Fast forward to earlier this year. I happened to stop by a Cadillac dealer (to pick up auto show ticket coupons) and asked about if they had any plans for an EV version of the Escalade. He said with a very disappointing look, "no," like if had been asked it a million times. Bottom line, at least for me, it seems like for GM to produce something new is like turning a cruise ship. They say they're going to do it (maybe) but takes forever before you hear anything about it, let alone have it available in a timely manner.

IMO one of the biggest unanswered questions hanging over Rivian is how they plan on providing service and maintenance. Until they provide us with how that will be handled, I think any legacy manufacturer is going to have a leg up on Rivian, at least in the eyes of the consumer. I really hope Rivian doesn't wait too long before revealing their service and maintenance plan or I could easily see people moving on from Rivian for their next EV.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
There was a time when Cadillac was at the forefront of American automotive engineering. However, those days were put behind them when GM started drawing its CEO's from the finance ranks instead of the engineering ranks, when brand marketing was elevated above technology innovation, and when its profit center moved from auto manufacturing to sales financing. I still remember GM's answer in the 1970's to the inroads Japan was making with its early Accords. While Japan engineered a small, efficient vehicle from the ground up, Cadillac's answer was to slap vinyl roofs and chromed plastic on a flawed Chevrolet Cavalier and rebrand it as the atrocious and over-priced Cimarron.

Things weren't much better on the organizational front a decade and a half later when Lexus and Honda both went from concept to product delivery in launching their Lexus and Acura luxury divisions in less than half the time it took the GM board to debate whether even to launch Saturn, much less to bring it to market.

There's a reason the Cadillac Escalade is a preferred vehicle for blinging out, and it's not the engineering. If Cadillac is going simply to slide an electric skateboard under an existing Escalade body, I have a feeling the effort will go the way of the Cimarron and Saturn.

OP
OP
Lmirafuente

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Totally agree with both these opinions and thank you for commenting...I really feel that the USA's auto industry is so behind the curve on EV's and they are just very reactionary---which can be dangerous---that reactionary impulse contributes to the ways of Cimarron and Saturn.

I also understand that support and maintenance is a big concern for all of us and important for us to understand before investing in Rivian. Until I test drive the vehicle I am making the assumption that it will be quality built based on the enthusiasm of the Rivian employee's I have met at the Overland West Expo. That enthusiasm and spirit I am told translates to the manufacturing plant too! That enthusiasm and inclusive culture that has been built by RJ, I believe will drive quality.

When you look at the amount of moving parts in a EV motor (25 moving parts) versus the ICS motor (over 250 moving parts), one can conclude it would be easier to attain quality. It will be quicker to find defects. The fact they have been in stealth for nine years also contributes to the likelihood of building quality by getting the kinks out early. Lastly, with the personnel they are hiring from various auto manufactures to help avoid mistake previously experience also contributes to build a better product.

Maybe I have happy ears on and justifying my intent to buy a Rivian...time will tell. I am a gadget guy, so this just may be an expensive one.

jacobh

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.besustainable.com
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, Model X
Occupation
Web Design + Development
The problem with legacy automakers like GM is that they don't really accomplish much in terms of innovation and EVs. They are structured in a way that is so bureaucratic that every decision takes them 7-10+ years. These companies are also founded on "creating products" not "innovation and doing things differently" which sets companies like Tesla & Rivian apart from companies like GM, Ford, etc.

I agree with @EyeOnRivian 's experience. GM (the parent company of Cadillac) has been known to be "all talk" with very little to no action on backing up anything they say.

Sponsored

FPK1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition
Occupation
Retired
I won't buy Cadillac, but I'm extremely disappointed in some of the decisions that Rivian has made. They put out a lot of hype and now they're not coming through in some areas that I found brought me to put down a deposit.

For example, for years they've been saying over 400 miles in the SUV, and now it's going to be just over 300 miles. I would change from 7-seater to 5-seater to get 400 plus.

The roof options have also changed to nothing but a tinted roof. For years they've been talking about a removable roof and or electrochromatic roof options.

Additionally, I'm struggling in which green to select. Everything was fine when the only choice was forest green, however, adding launch green without the ability to see these colors makes it very difficult. All indications are I will have a chance to see them and make a change at some point.

The above may be deal breakers for me in the long run, and there are a few other small items that I've been spoiled with that I would have appreciated in this Rivian SUV. Such as a HUD and Android Auto, to name a couple.

All that being said, the four motors, the near autonomous driving, the LCD screens, and more still peak my interest in this car....

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Tbh, when I first read that the 400+ pack was more or less gone from the R1S (at least for the foreseeable future), my gut reaction was “Well F that. I wanted the MAX PACK”

But in the few weeks since, I’ve sorta sat on it, and realised that 300+, be that a little over 300 or a lot over, is realistically more than enough. I rarely go on road trips, and pretty much everyone I visit/see on a regular basis lives within 20 miles of my home. Coupled with the fact that the Seattle area is littered with chargers, and I’ve really kinda cooled off on the disappointment over the 400+ pack.

Like the extra range would 100% be nice to have, and even with the 10K upcharge I would still go for it. But personally, I’d be pretty happy if we end up with like 310 or whatnot

Last edited:

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Count me as one that is also disappointed in the lack of a 400+ R1S. In fact I am certain I won't complete the purchase until there is a 400+ option. I completely understand that I am in the minority on this fact. I am fairly certain that Rivian has good information about what most people want and the price point they are willing to pay and it sounds like the 300+ pack 7 seater captures the most buyers..... Sadly I'm not one of them.
I've sat on this information for 2 weeks now trying not to get too disappointed but the bottom line is that the more I think about it the more I realize I just can't buy the 300+ R1S. For me this will be primarily a long haul trip vehicle and the battery range is feature 1 for me.

I'm also disappointed in the removal of the electrochroamatic roof but to a much lesser extent. I personally think that was a cost based decision after Rivian saw more pricing detail from their competition. It's the same reason the configurator took so long to publish (again my opinion). It's not terribly fancy for something that was delayed so much. I think it had a lot to do with how they finally wanted to price the vehicle since a lot of competition is on the horizon.

For now I will just sit on my pre-order and wait till it's my turn to commit. At that point I will push pause until the 400+ option is available. Maybe something different will come along before then and maybe not. Luckily I don't "need" a new car for the next 2-3 years.

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
Tbh, when I first read that the 400+ pack was more or less gone from the R1S (at least for the foreseeable future), my gut reaction was “Well F that. I wanted the MAX PACK”

But in the few weeks since, I’ve sorta sat on it, and realised that 300+, be that a little over 300 or a lot over, is realistically more than enough. I rarely go on road trips, and pretty much everyone I visit/see on a regular basis lives within 20 miles of my home. Coupled with that fact the the Seattle area is littered with chargers, and I’ve really kinda cooled off on the disappointment over the 400+ pack.

Like the extra range would 100% be nice to have, and even with the 10K upcharge I would still go for it. But personally, I’d be pretty happy if we end up with like 310 or whatnot
I had the exact same reaction and my usage is very similar. I drive a 2016 Tesla Model X with a daily charge amount of about 170 miles and after all the hills, I can rely on about 140-150. So when I saw that 400 was off the table for my Rivian, I was pretty pissed - as any EV driver will tell you, there really is no substitute for range.

But then I cooled off - especially after reading some interviews with RJ that said they were getting up to 325 in some instances. Thats pretty good when comparing to what I get now.

So I am not "happy", I am still in the firmly disappointed category.

Headingley

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5 35d
Occupation
Surgeon
I pre-ordered the launch edition (R1S) but really wanted the 400 mile version. Since a pre-order is not a firm commitment I'm perfectly fine waiting. In fact, it is announcements like this (new EV SUVs) that bolster my thought process. When it comes time to purchase I will definitely consider all brand choices, early reviews, range, price, etc... Thus I will be considering the Cadillac EV SUV.

Basically what I'm saying is that "forced" patience is going to allow me to make a better choice.

Sponsored

rob0115

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model Y, Ford Raptor
Occupation
This and that
hey new to the forum so here’s my first post. I’m disappointed in no 400 mi pack in the R1S. I actually joined here to find out if that would change but it doesn’t seem like it will.

I own two Tesla’s and have a deposit on the CT but really love the look of the Rivian. I was able to see a preproduction version at the NY auto show a couple years back and put a deposit on it then.

I may switch to the R1T for max pack but was more looking for a luxury SUV. I guess i could sell my raptor because, while I love pickup trucks, I don’t really need them.

I may just put out the 1k on the R1T while I sort this out in my head. Oh, well cheers everyone and this should be a very exciting new product.

Last edited:

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
I’m pretty sure a BEV Escalade will be a good $110K or so, similar to the Hummer or bit less. The Lyriq is going to already be like 70/80k.

As for Rivian being quality, we sure hope so but there is a lot that can go wrong even in a new EV as well. As a Tesla owner, never had our S and X in the shop so much compared to reliable ICE cars. Drive trail failures, battery issues, MCU failures, things like seals/bad quality lose parts, etc.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
hey new to the forum so here’s my first post. I’m disappointed in no 400 mi pack in the R1S.
There will be a Max Pack R1S, but we don't know the details on timing & range. There's speculation it might be less than 400 miles, but no firm info yet.

rob0115

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model Y, Ford Raptor
Occupation
This and that
There will be a Max Pack R1S, but we don't know the details on timing & range. There's speculation it might be less than 400 miles, but no firm info yet.
That’s great, I appreciate the information.

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

I'm a Cadillac fan. My wife drove an Escalade and I moved her down to the X5 as her health deteriorated. Both great for us.

I always had great buying, ownership and service experiences. I won't plug the dealership, but they're in Tempe, AZ.

I would buy an EV Cadillac EXT in a heartbeat and very seriously consider an EV Escalade before the R1S. But that's just me.
Sponsored