180° tailgate with tow hitch?

krcossin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 Suburban LTZ + 19 Volvo XC40
I sure am curious what will happen with the tailgate when I have my tow hitch receiver installed on the truck and someone presses the 180° tailgate drop down button. My current receiver sticks out at least 8" from my Suburban bumper.
I'm sure you not suppose to leave it on while not towing, but I have found several times it saved us from damage, the other cars not so lucky, but it was always their fault! I don't want to accidentally hit the wrong button and cause tailgate damage.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Brian, the Chief Engineer of Special Projects, mentioned that they don't have a finalized protection system, but they are aware of the concern, and will have something in place to prevent said damage.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

Some type of protection system would be nice, but how far are we going to take this? There is no protection system preventing me from slamming my hand in the door.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

In a video that Brian did, I believe with Jalopnik, he showed that in order to make the tailgate move completely to 180 degrees, the button has to be held until the 180 degrees is achieved. Once you let go, the tailgate stops at whatever position you stopped it at...Here's to not over-engineering! Just let go of the button before the tailgate slams into the hitch...
Sponsored