Sponsored

You have got to be f’ing kidding! (Rant about Rivian windshield issues)

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
I got a chip on my Tesla earlier this year and 4 days after it finally got replaced, I get another stone flicked up off a truck and a crack again! Sometimes bad luck but the roads (esp. Highways in CA) are full of crap.

I can recommend Corning Gorilla Glass which is fitted to my Jeep Rubicon. That also took a decent stone chip on the highway at speed, made a heck of a noise, (and that windshield practically has a vertical rake) and its only left a tiny mark.

So, perhaps Rivian could team up with Corning and offer it as an option (or just make it standard).
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Alright, add me to the "what the hell is this trash?!" team. I caught a rock driving the ACC distance behind a VW hatchback and took the loudest rock I've ever heard. I repaired another chip myself with great success, but this one is right on the edge and immediately spidered. I watched it grow from 2 inches to almost a foot in 15 minutes!

I'm hoping they can add this to an existing appointment in January, it's really unfortunate no one else has them or replaces them yet.

Has anyone put a film on the OUTSIDE and had success with this helping? I have tint on the inside and am very annoyed by the prospect of replacing that too. Think insurance would notice that in the claim?

DirtyJester

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 kona ev
Occupation
Millwright
Alright, add me to the "what the hell is this trash?!" team. I caught a rock driving the ACC distance behind a VW hatchback and took the loudest rock I've ever heard. I repaired another chip myself with great success, but this one is right on the edge and immediately spidered. I watched it grow from 2 inches to almost a foot in 15 minutes!

I'm hoping they can add this to an existing appointment in January, it's really unfortunate no one else has them or replaces them yet.

Has anyone put a film on the OUTSIDE and had success with this helping? I have tint on the inside and am very annoyed by the prospect of replacing that too. Think insurance would notice that in the claim?
Had that happen on my ram. Had a crack on passenger side and got it replaced. I had another crack on the driver side by the time I got home from speedy glass. 🤣. I couldn’t believe it. Started as the black mark. And by the time I got home it had spread to about 6” crack. I should’ve just turned around and went straight back.

rivian1800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Driving about 2500-3000 miles/week for my company, I can assure you that every single state has some sort of construction 🚧 site open. For the last 2 years I’ve had to replace 3 windshields on my vans. Regarding my R1T I have to admit that I have been lucky enough to have a couple “dents” on my windshield after 24000+ miles 🤞
Basically the entire country’s roads are under (some) (re)construction. Just be careful out there and keep a safe distance.

Last edited:

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Has anyone put a film on the OUTSIDE and had success with this helping?
Yes, forum members have done that and their windshields still got damaged.

The Rvian's windshield is at a fairly upright angle compared to sleek/low sport sedans so rocks hit it at more of a dead straight angle and don't deflect and skip off like they do with sedans.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ladiver

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I have a coworker who heard about my windshield and has added exterior protection. He said he took a rock and can’t see where, so maybe it did help.

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

I have a coworker who heard about my windshield and has added exterior protection. He said he took a rock and can’t see where, so maybe it did help.
do you know what he added? a film or something?

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Yes, forum members have done that and their windshields still got damaged.

The Rvian's windshield is at a fairly upright angle compared to sleek/low sport sedans so rocks hit it at more of a dead straight angle and don't deflect and skip off like they do with sedans.
50k miles on my Land Rover Disco 2 and plenty of rocks hit it, none did any lasting damage, just a baby 1 inch crack that never grew.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

my R1T has been at the service center waiting on a windshield since Wednesday. On Thursday, I got my new R1S. Well, today the windshield in the R1S cracked!!!!!

I think Rivian has a really big issue. In my 30 years of driving and my wife’s 30 years of driving, we have replaced exactly one windshield (R1T) and now have a second one.

I hope everyone reports their chipped and broken windshields to Rivian. I kinda see a total recall coming. And I was worried about them nickel and dining is on a subscription. They can just gouge us on windshields ($1,900)!
Not covered by warranty?

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Is it the glass, or is it the ANGLE that the windshield is at? During my first mile test drive I couldn't help but notice (since my other cars were close by) that the R1T had a very upright windshield angle vs. my other cars.

If the glass were positioned at a more upright angle, a rock chip could do much more damage vs. just grazing the glass.

Just a thought.

OP
OP
Ladiver

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

OP
OP
Ladiver

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

DirtyJester

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 kona ev
Occupation
Millwright
Don’t you guys just pay your insurance deductible and have it replaced that way? That’s how us Canadians do it.
Sponsored