Sponsored

You have got to be f’ing kidding! (Rant about Rivian windshield issues)

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

my R1T has been at the service center waiting on a windshield since Wednesday. On Thursday, I got my new R1S. Well, today the windshield in the R1S cracked!!!!!

I think Rivian has a really big issue. In my 30 years of driving and my wife’s 30 years of driving, we have replaced exactly one windshield (R1T) and now have a second one.

I hope everyone reports their chipped and broken windshields to Rivian. I kinda see a total recall coming. And I was worried about them nickel and dining is on a subscription. They can just gouge us on windshields ($1,900)!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ladiver

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

The first one was a big rock from a truck on a freeway. This new one appeared to be sand on a side street. Wife said there was no significant impact sound.

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

I haven’t even gotten mine and the glass roof cracked…in the SC lot the day before I was supposed to pick it up. I too hope this is not a theme.

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
I've gotten two rock chips that needed to be filled since March. In my other 8 previous cars over 25 years of driving I've only had 1 other rock chip in a windshield.

Granted some of that is luck but I've taken some pretty big debris hits on both my VWs and volvos with no cracks or anything.

I do feel our windshields are much weaker overall.

Sponsored

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Fuyao!

Watch American Factory on Netflix if you want to feel realllly great about Rivian glass.

I would pay more for a Rivian with glass from a decent supplier.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Mine has taken a couple of rock hits and no cracks yet. Your lucky streak is clearly just over.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Fuyao!!!

OP
OP
Ladiver

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

My wife asked if I could look for a ballistic glass supplier. I’m hoping Rivian changes suppliers or an aftermarket source becomes available.

if there is a glass manufacturer in Southern California, I’ll let them use my vehicle to measure.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
My wife asked if I could look for a ballistic glass supplier. I’m hoping Rivian changes suppliers or an aftermarket source becomes available.

if there is a glass manufacturer in Southern California, I’ll let them use my vehicle to measure.
Tell her there IS a truck coming out very s00n that has bulletproof glass, a working tonneau cover, and can actually operate as a boat over short distances.

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

The first one was a big rock from a truck on a freeway. This new one appeared to be sand on a side street. Wife said there was no significant impact sound.
I am with you... I have owned my Tesla for 6 years and nothing... My Rivian already has a rock chip in the windshield...I remember a few rocks hitting, but nothing serious so I was surprised to find the chip.

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Rivian R1T LE (delivered 6/28/22)
Occupation
Retired
I've gotten two rock chips that needed to be filled since March. In my other 8 previous cars over 25 years of driving I've only had 1 other rock chip in a windshield.

Granted some of that is luck but I've taken some pretty big debris hits on both my VWs and volvos with no cracks or anything.

I do feel our windshields are much weaker overall.
I had two rock strikes this year on I95, NC to DC, on my 2020 Bolt, one patched and the second one a replacement.

I cringe when I drive the R1T on that route 😉

-Joel

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
knock on wood I've taken a couple hits in the Rivian and am all good but did get a chip in my Audi last year.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Tell her there IS a truck coming out very s00n that has bulletproof glass, a working tonneau cover, and can actually operate as a boat over short distances.

And since you can't break the window out, it'll function as a submarine for a brief period (until it fills with water)
Sponsored