Yay - RAN @ REI Sacramento

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Another successful session. Arrived with about 35%, went into REI to use the bathroom and see if the jacket my kid wants is on sale (it wasn’t’). Walked over to Costco to shop. Remembered that I have a blown shoulder and I can’t actually carry anything, and walked back to the truck empty handed. Was back at 74% after just under 20 minutes total (truck preconditioned itself on the drive over, took about 10 minutes to bring it to temp while driving).

2 other R1Ts there on DCFC. Hi folks! Another car on the L2. Great to see it’s getting use while not being overwhelmed.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

3 people most likely just opportunity charging. Explains why RAN is going to stop being free soon.

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I didn’t have time to chat with anyone, but one of the other rigs there was delightfully covered in dirt like they just came back from Tahoe. The other was as shiny as mine so possibly opportunity charging.

Personally happy to pay for it once they make the switch. In places like Sac where utility rates are significantly lower than PGE service areas, I expect paid charging at the RANs to drop off dramatically.

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

Another successful session. Arrived with about 35%, went into REI to use the bathroom and see if the jacket my kid wants is on sale (it wasn’t’). Walked over to Costco to shop. Remembered that I have a blown shoulder and I can’t actually carry anything, and walked back to the truck empty handed. Was back at 74% after just under 20 minutes total (truck preconditioned itself on the drive over, took about 10 minutes to bring it to temp while driving).

2 other R1Ts there on DCFC. Hi folks! Another car on the L2. Great to see it’s getting use while not being overwhelmed.
Haven’t done this yet. How do you precondition the battery? Is it something the truck knows to do when you enter the RAN as your destination in the nav?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I didn’t have time to chat with anyone, but one of the other rigs there was delightfully covered in dirt like they just came back from Tahoe. The other was as shiny as mine so possibly opportunity charging.

Personally happy to pay for it once they make the switch. In places like Sac where utility rates are significantly lower than PGE service areas, I expect paid charging at the RANs to drop off dramatically.
Here's me opportunity charging at my closest RAN last night :(
Rivian R1T R1S Yay - RAN @ REI Sacramento 1675876344946

Sponsored

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Haven’t done this yet. How do you precondition the battery? Is it something the truck knows to do when you enter the RAN as your destination in the nav?
If you set a charger as destination (or if the Nav does it for you), it should begin preconditioning automatically.

I set the RAN as destination from the app, sent it to the truck, then just got in and drove. Preconditioning kicked off immediately and lasted about 10+ minutes, then stopped as I was about halfway there.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If you set a charger as destination (or if the Nav does it for you), it should begin preconditioning automatically.

I set the RAN as destination from the app, sent it to the truck, then just got in and drove. Preconditioning kicked off immediately and lasted about 10+ minutes, then stopped as I was about halfway there.
I'm curious if it would still do it if you navigate to that REI instead of the charger.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I'm curious if it would still do it if you navigate to that REI instead of the charger.
I’m willing to bet it would not. My suspicion is based on the Nav knowing it’s going “to a DCFC” and is only just smart enough to precondition to a set level based on that binary decision. It might be smarter than that - say, knowing it’s a RAN capable of 214kW.

But now I’m curious. Next time I head through, I’m going to try it out.

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I’m willing to bet it would not. My suspicion is based on the Nav knowing it’s going “to a DCFC” and is only just smart enough to precondition to a set level based on that binary decision. It might be smarter than that - say, knowing it’s a RAN capable of 214kW.

But now I’m curious. Next time I head through, I’m going to try it out.
It won't precondition

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Anyone know if there's a restroom available after REI closes? Seems like a big downside of using this RAN during a late evening trip to Tahoe.

Ingo B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Word Slinger
Anyone know if there's a restroom available after REI closes? Seems like a big downside of using this RAN during a late evening trip to Tahoe.
There are restaurants nearby, but if you're talking middle of the night type of opportunities, I didn't see any.

Billyt1963

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, R1T
Occupation
Retired

Sorry for this question, don't have my vehicle yet.

Does the car alert you when it is preconditioning?

Billy

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Sorry for this question, don't have my vehicle yet.

Does the car alert you when it is preconditioning?

Billy
It will begin preconditioning as you drive towards the station, as long as the fast charger is set as destination in the nav.
Sponsored