EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
https://yakima.com/products/slimshady

1. Do you think this awning would cover the pull out kitchen when mounted on the rooftop crossbars? Concerned it may be too far forward to adequately cover the kitchen.

2. Do you think this awning could be mounted on the rooftop crossbars simultaneously with the Rivian rooftop tent (also on the roof crossbars).

I think my preferred setup will be bikes on crossbars above the bed with RTT mounted on the roof. Haven’t seen any photos of this setup.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

1. Do you think this awning would cover the pull out kitchen when mounted on the rooftop crossbars? Concerned it may be too far forward to adequately cover the kitchen.

2. Do you think this awning could be mounted on the rooftop crossbars simultaneously with the Rivian rooftop tent (also on the roof crossbars).

I think my preferred setup will be bikes on crossbars above the bed with RTT mounted on the roof. Haven’t seen any photos of this setup.
some googling and…
gear tunnel is 65” long, so kitchen will extend out approximately that distance.
the awning extends 78”

the Yakima tent Rivian is selling is 48” wide.
the crossbars are probably 55-60” on the roof(a guess).

it should be fine.
if you look in the reviews section of the product page on Yakima’s website, there are pictures showing similar arrangements(not on R1T obviously).

OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
some googling and…
gear tunnel is 65” long, so kitchen will extend out approximately that distance.
the awning extends 78”

the Yakima tent Rivian is selling is 48” wide.
the crossbars are probably 55-60” on the roof(a guess).

it should be fine.
if you look in the reviews section of the product page on Yakima’s website, there are pictures showing similar arrangements(not on R1T obviously).
thanks for reply… my concern is not so much the projection away from the vehicle, but if the gear tunnel is too far aft of the roof crossbars to enable good coverage of a roof mounted awning.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
thanks for reply… my concern is not so much the projection away from the vehicle, but if the gear tunnel is too far aft of the roof crossbars to enable good coverage of a roof mounted awning.
There are 180 and even 270 degree awnings that will do what you want.

I don't think you can mount a pull out type awning on the roof that will provide sufficient coverage for the Kitchen - particularly if you want to allow far any breeze/wind.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
hmm. You might be able to position the awning far enough back to cover the kitchen.

or just get a wider awning. Yakima lists an 8’ one. That’d do it.

I don't think you can mount a pull out type awning on the roof that will provide sufficient coverage for the Kitchen - particularly if you want to allow far any breeze/wind.
I’d do a 180 awning. 270 on a pickup seems redundant Unless you need coverage over the bed.
the one downside to 180 and 270 degree awnings is they are quite bulky when folded up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

I hadn’t seen the 180 options… thanks. Maybe something like this: https://overlandvehiclesystems.com/...0-dark-gray-cover-with-black-cover-universal/

agree this looks bulky. Just seems like some shelter over the camp kitchen would be beneficial for shade or light rain.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
ok - So another serious question.... :cool: Did they license that name from The Real Slim Shady?

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

The Yakima SlimShaddy 8 will work for this setup. You can adjust the tent to the far left, and install the SlimShaddy to the right edge with no problem.

Rivian R1T R1S Yakima Slim Shady Awning questions Screenshot_20210905-131649_Samsung Internet

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
The RTT over the cab and bikes over the bed is going to absolutely demolish highway range, FYI - you're basically adding an enormous brick which significantly increases both the frontal area and the coefficient of drag of your truck (both already pretty bad), and increases the negative space behind the cab (which creates a huge turbulent area, not helped by your bikes).

It will also make the RTT much more of a hassle (taking two of your doors out of commission when the tent is deployed, raising the center of gravity of your vehicle dramatically for worse handling, especially offroad, etc.). It's also going to keep you from parking in most garages, be a huge hassle to mount/unmount, cover up your nice glass roof, and be noisy as hell.

Why not put your bikes on a hitch rack and keep the tent in the bed? You'll get much better range and handling that way, and everything will be significantly easier to mount/unmount. And you won't accidentally peel off the roof in a garage/drive-thru.

OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The RTT over the cab and bikes over the bed is going to absolutely demolish highway range, FYI - you're basically adding an enormous brick which significantly increases both the frontal area and the coefficient of drag of your truck (both already pretty bad), and increases the negative space behind the cab (which creates a huge turbulent area, not helped by your bikes).

It will also make the RTT much more of a hassle (taking two of your doors out of commission when the tent is deployed, raising the center of gravity of your vehicle dramatically for worse handling, especially offroad, etc.). It's also going to keep you from parking in most garages, be a huge hassle to mount/unmount, cover up your nice glass roof, and be noisy as hell.

Why not put your bikes on a hitch rack and keep the tent in the bed? You'll get much better range and handling that way, and everything will be significantly easier to mount/unmount. And you won't accidentally peel off the roof in a garage/drive-thru.
all valid points…thanks. My truck camping is relatively regional such that range is not the biggest priority. I have a Kuat hitch rack today so that may be a future option, but like the idea of unencumbered access to bed with tent on roof.

My biggest question at this point is best way to provide a kitchen canopy without losing ability to utilize the RTT.

Sponsored

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

all valid points…thanks. My truck camping is relatively regional such that range is not the biggest priority. I have a Kuat hitch rack today so that may be a future option, but like the idea of unencumbered access to bed with tent on roof.

My biggest question at this point is best way to provide a kitchen canopy without losing ability to utilize the RTT.
Could you get a second set of roof bars and just mount the awning to it while leaving the RTT above the bed? It shouldn't be as bad for aero as putting the tent up there and it would give you a mounting location for a canopy.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

“dramatically worse handling”? It’s a truck.

Tent on the roof and bikes over the bed is much more convenient. lifting a bike 6’ in the air is a pain.
The overall height will be less, the bikes will stay cleaner than on the roof or on a hitch mounted rack.

one could also mount the tent so the entry is towards the bed, blocking zero truck doors, although the bed mounted rack would be in the way.

Bbernardo

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 Tacoma / 08 H3
Just noticed this thread and have some input that could be helpful. I have the 3person Yakima RTT and the SlimShady mounted to my H3 for camping and overlanding. We have no issues opening passenger doors when the RTT is deployed and I don't suspect an R1T would be any different.

The awning does require about 4-6in behind the actual awning to let the mounting jaws to bite. Also the awning mounts can slide along the axis of the unit to give you fore/after control of what you want to shade. Don't take that as its adjustable on the fly but if you plan ahead you can mount it as to give the camp kitchen some coverage. There are alternatives mounts that will save you space up there but on my H3 the real estate gets tight from side to side.

Only pic I have on phone but can take a few later this evening.
Rivian R1T R1S Yakima Slim Shady Awning questions received_666893180339318

Last edited:

Bbernardo

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 Tacoma / 08 H3
Also found a clip of us teaching our smallest pup (40lbs) on how to get into the RTT. She loves it when she sees the RTT deployed. Yoga mat + carpet floor mats work well.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Also found a clip of us teaching our smallest pup (40lbs) on how to get into the RTT. She loves it when she sees the RTT deployed. Yoga mat + carpet floor mats work well.

That's awesome and a slick set up. How long does it take you to deploy everything?
Sponsored