Sponsored

XPEL XR PLUS temperature report

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
For those in the northeast US thinking about ceramic tint from any manufacturer for heat reduction, below is my experience on in cabin temperatures before and after ceramic tint.

XPEL 45% XR Plus was added to the front windows and 70% XR Plus was added to the windshield. The rear windows are stock (pretty sure they are 20%) and roof glass is untouched/stock as well.

In the same (extremely similar mother nature conditions) temperatures / humidity / physical parking spot over a week worth of comparison before and after the XR Plus, I am seeing a 15+ degree difference on average of untreated (no hvac run) in-cabin temperature.

What was 135 degrees F average without the tint, is now <120 average (closer to 115ish).

The front dash is no longer hot to touch - before tint, I would touch the top of the headrests of the front seats and then touch the dash. I would also use a cheap laser thermometer on the headrests and front dash to compare surface temps. The differences I experienced /observed are what influenced my decision to only do the front windows and windshield.

Matching the rear windows at 20% was not desired for me - past experiences with night visibility on road and parking situations combined with less desired legal issues for me is why 45% was picked for the front windows. Could have gone 70% on windows too, but thought 45% looked better for my tastes. The 45% does have a bit better light reduction in the various spectrums. For XPEL, I believe the 45% is 1.5mm thick and the 70% is 2mm thick.

There were a lot of discussions on heat reduction and tint. These are my experiences, with my data, and my choices. However, I hope this can help others who were or are trying to decide what may work best for them and their tastes.

(I'm located in south east Pennsylvania)
(I'll try to add some pictures soon as that may help as well)

Edit: picture added with full light / sun low in sky
Rivian R1T R1S XPEL XR PLUS temperature report 20220921_171225
Sponsored

Last edited:

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
I did 3m Crystaline 70% on every piece of glass in my R1T and my experience is similar to yours. Cabin is much cooler. The HVAC system doesn't struggle to keep the cabin cool when it's hot out. It's going to be 100+ in CA for the next few days and I really glad I installed the tint right now. :)

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
I did the same (XPEL) but matched my fronts to the rears (maybe should have done 45) plus the rear window and agree it's a noticeable difference, hell even my wife made a comment about how much cooler the truck is to her MX that only had ceramic on the fronts.

10/10 would do again!

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I did the passenger windows and rear with 70% XPEL. I was nervous to do the front tint since I wear polarized Rx sunglasses and notice I can see a bit of a "pattern" on the passenger windows. Not a huge deal, but something I'd probably notice if the windsheild were tinted. I can't say for sure if I'd get used to it over time or it'd drive me crazy so I let it be. I'm not running as cool as you all but it's a noticeable difference from stock.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
For those in the northeast US thinking about ceramic tint from any manufacturer for heat reduction, below is my experience on in cabin temperatures before and after ceramic tint.

XPEL 45% XR Plus was added to the front windows and 70% XR Plus was added to the windshield. The rear windows are stock (pretty sure they are 20%) and roof glass is untouched/stock as well.

In the same (extremely similar mother nature conditions) temperatures / humidity / physical parking spot over a week worth of comparison before and after the XR Plus, I am seeing a 15+ degree difference on average of untreated (no hvac run) in-cabin temperature.

What was 135 degrees F average without the tint, is now <120 average (closer to 115ish).

The front dash is no longer hot to touch - before tint, I would touch the top of the headrests of the front seats and then touch the dash. I would also use a cheap laser thermometer on the headrests and front dash to compare surface temps. The differences I experienced /observed are what influenced my decision to only do the front windows and windshield.

Matching the rear windows at 20% was not desired for me - past experiences with night visibility on road and parking situations combined with less desired legal issues for me is why 45% was picked for the front windows. Could have gone 70% on windows too, but thought 45% looked better for my tastes. The 45% does have a bit better light reduction in the various spectrums. For XPEL, I believe the 45% is 1.5mm thick and the 70% is 2mm thick.

There were a lot of discussions on heat reduction and tint. These are my experiences, with my data, and my choices. However, I hope this can help others who were or are trying to decide what may work best for them and their tastes.

Just wondering, was there a reason not to do the roof?

Sponsored

Markā€™s RT-1

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y and Model Y Perf. And some other EVs
Occupation
Bus. Owner.
Clubs

I did a similar job, used the 95% blocker on the roof and glad I did.

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
Tesla claims tinting the glass roof traps heat between the tint layer and the glass surface which could possibly cause the roof to shatter from overheating. I think Rivian is advising the same and considering the roof glass issues owners have been having, I certainly wouldnā€™t tempt it.

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
I was nervous to do the front tint since I wear polarized Rx sunglasses and notice I can see a bit of a "pattern" on the passenger windows. Not a huge deal, but something I'd probably notice if the windsheild were tinted. I can't say for sure if I'd get used to it over time or it'd drive me crazy so I let it be. I'm not running as cool as you all but it's a noticeable difference from stock.
I wear polarized sunglasses when driving. I noticed a slightly rainbow at the top of the windshield for the first few drives after installing the tint, but don't notice it now.

OP
OP

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

With the sun directly overhead, the headrests were never hot. The roof was doing a very good job as far as I could tell.
Maybe there could be an improvement by doing the roof, but based on my experience and preference, it did not seem to be needed.

Also, in working with my local shop, they agreed to provide a same cost discount quote if I decided later on to add the tint to the roof, back glass, or rear windows.

Based on the results, I think I am good and can reuse the savings elsewhere.

Edit: several local shops have a halogen tester - halogen lights inside a cube. The cube walls are each coated with different films and can spin. You can put your hand close to the tester and spin the sides - there will most likely be a dramatic difference felt on your hand. Great marketing gadget as I went with XR Plus VS just the XR based on that - consider myself duped if that isn't a worthy test.

Last edited:

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Tesla claims tinting the glass roof traps heat between the tint layer and the glass surface which could possibly cause the roof to shatter from overheating. I think Rivian is advising the same and considering the roof glass issues owners have been having, I certainly wouldnā€™t tempt it.
The local Xpel rep I talked to said the same thing, but that they'd also do it if the vehicle owner requests it.

Sponsored

PowerBugs

First Name
Dru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota

Edit: picture added with full light / sun low in sky
20220921_171225.jpg
How is your experience with XR Plus? Does it show a bluish tint/haze? Is there noticeable image distortion? I'm deciding of getting the XR Plus or Black.

OP
OP

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
How is your experience with XR Plus? Does it show a bluish tint/haze? Is there noticeable image distortion? I'm deciding of getting the XR Plus or Black.
Not seeing any blue tint or distortion. No issues with nighttime driving.

If I did it over again, there is nothing I would change.

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Same. XR Plus 70% on the windshield is basically a ā€œmust haveā€ on this vehicle IMHO with itā€™s somewhat weak AC system.

krockett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser
Clubs

Just went 70% front windshield, rear and back, as well as 35% front windows with Xpel Prime XR+ for $650.

Thought about the roof, but going to hold off for now as I had bought a roof/sunshade a few months ago and I do have some concerns about cracking. Installer has been in business for many decades and has applied tint to hundreds of Tesla roofs and a handful or Rivians, no issues that they have heard of this far and didnā€™t think there should be a concern. Quote was $450 for the roof in case anyone was interested in knowing.
Sponsored

Last edited: