First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
06 CTD 2500, 00 Escalde, 2013 Yukon Denali
Occupation
General Manager
Tim@Xpel, I am curious as to what chemicals can yellow the PPF. I am about to order a White R1T and I run a Car Wash, so I am intersted in what could cause this.
Sponsored

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
@Tim@XPEL

What do you recommend us customers do if an installer is up charging us for things that should be standard? Just got a call back from an installer saying badges aren't removed and edges aren't wrap. But they will do it for more $$

Mousetrap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

@Tim@XPEL

What do you recommend us customers do if an installer is up charging us for things that should be standard? Just got a call back from an installer saying badges aren't removed and edges aren't wrap. But they will do it for more $$
I heard this exact same thing! The owner of the place told me the deal with Rivian is that the Rivian OEM kit is an "introduction kit" and that there's no edge-wrapping and nothing with the badges. For the "regular package" that includes edges and dealing with the badges, it'd be $6500.

The entire conversation felt very negative about this package, which is a shame because I was VERY excited and wanted to move forward, but now I'm heavily doubting doing it with this shop.

@Tim@XPEL - I'd love your suggestions, too! Is there someone we should have the shop reach out to or do they ultimately have the final say and it's a take-it-or-leave-it situation? If that's the case, is it possible to get a referral to a different shop that might better align with our expectations?

OP
OP

Tim@XPEL

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Occupation
VP OEM
I heard this exact same thing! The owner of the place told me the deal with Rivian is that the Rivian OEM kit is an "introduction kit" and that there's no edge-wrapping and nothing with the badges. For the "regular package" that includes edges and dealing with the badges, it'd be $6500.

The entire conversation felt very negative about this package, which is a shame because I was VERY excited and wanted to move forward, but now I'm heavily doubting doing it with this shop.

@Tim@XPEL - I'd love your suggestions, too! Is there someone we should have the shop reach out to or do they ultimately have the final say and it's a take-it-or-leave-it situation? If that's the case, is it possible to get a referral to a different shop that might better align with our expectations?
You can just PM me with the shop in question and we will reach out to them to clarify.

OP
OP

Tim@XPEL

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Occupation
VP OEM
Tim@Xpel, I am curious as to what chemicals can yellow the PPF. I am about to order a White R1T and I run a Car Wash, so I am intersted in what could cause this.
There are a number of substances that can cause this depending on concentration. The two most common in the car care arena are kerosene and naphtha. At low concentration, they aren't a problem, but higher concentrations can swell the pores of the film making it more susceptible to contaminants.

Sponsored

andy1230

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y
Anyone in the NY/NJ area found an XPEL shop that is participating that had it done? Would love to hear their experience.

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
There are a number of substances that can cause this depending on concentration. The two most common in the car care arena are kerosene and naphtha. At low concentration, they aren't a problem, but higher concentrations can swell the pores of the film making it more susceptible to contaminants.
Which PPF do you recommend for this situation?

Last edited:

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Which PPF do recommend for this situation?

The bear was just checking the interior to see if it was the new OC with the dark wood trim.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
It was a male bear who window shopping. He was considering an R1T for the family truckster because the 2002 Tacoma was feeling cramped with the newborn cubs 😁

Sponsored

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
"Tim@XPEL,

Hey Tim, any further word on timing? Oct 1st, early October, mid, late, November :)

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Got my truck on Aug 2nd and put in my request through the web form a few days later. Crickets since. Only 3 installers around Pittsburgh. Guess I'll have to call them directly.

Sierra7117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, 996
Occupation
Program Manager
Alright, just picked up the truck from Xpel Dallas.

In short - it looks f%$king amazing. As previous described by @Tim@XPEL , all the exposed edges are fully wrapped, and there little to no exposed paint anywhere (the interior of the door openings are not wrapped, as expected). Based on having paid more than $4500 to get a Model 3 wrapped, this is a great deal.

Side note, the facility in Dallas is only about 3 months old - it's an exceptional facility, all the cars are on lifts, I don't know what they're called, but there's Perspex 'wetting panels' everywhere to presumably hold and wet the PPF panels. It's a very slick setup.

There's a visible seam on each of the side mirrors, that's really the only giveaway it's wrapped, and not a matte paint from the factory - 95% of people would be fooled.

Below is a walkaround video I cobbled together (sorry about the music & watermark, used an existing template for speed), I don't want to clutter up this thread, so you can see close-up pics here.

Beautiful truck! Qq: did they cut out around your hood emblem? Just picked up my truck tonight using the oem template. They removed and reinstalled the side logos but I noticed a cutout around the hood emblem...
Sponsored