First Name
Carlitos way
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7,A3, Macan GTS
Occupation
Mouth Janitor
Will certainly be adding this to my configuration when the time comes......
Sponsored

ravian

First Name
Debarshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Sienna
White has no metallic, so it will be the easiest color to repair paint chips
True but my Alpine White BMW developed close to 100 chips over a couple of years. It’s really impractical to keep fixing them. The best color is where the chips get camouflaged- perhaps dark gray.

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Most 3-party PPF installers cover 10 years warranty; "-PPF falls under the Rivian 5/60k warranty" just doesn't sound attractive.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Most 3-party PPF installers cover 10 years warranty; "-PPF falls under the Rivian 5/60k warranty" just doesn't sound attractive.
I dont have more than 1 year of experience with ppf but what’s the fail rate look like?

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
I dont have more than 1 year of experience with ppf but what’s the fail rate look like?
Significant around the edges if not installed correctly.

Edit: a complete failure is unlikely. Peeling or bubbling around the edges can happen if installed by rookies.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I have another car that the front-end was PPF'd 15 years ago; it still looks fine to me... I guess the fail rate is really really low but my car was garaged most of the time.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I have the basic PPF that came on my Tacoma from the dealer 5 years ago and it still looks brand new after lots of road trips and off roading in CO where there is gravel and rocks flying everywhere. I feel like PPF is one of those things that helps depending on where you live and how you drive but there’s no reason to go overboard unless you just really like the look of the stealth PPF or something.

Getting it from the factory means I don’t have to leave my R1T at the PPF place for a couple days after I get or pay for paint correction before they do it.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I have the basic PPF that came on my Tacoma from the dealer 5 years ago and it still looks brand new after lots of road trips and off roading in CO where there is gravel and rocks flying everywhere. I feel like PPF is one of those things that helps depending on where you live and how you drive but there’s no reason to go overboard unless you just really like the look of the stealth PPF or something.

Getting it from the factory means I don’t have to leave my R1T at the PPF place for a couple days after I get or pay for paint correction before they do it.
One thing that concerned me was the possibility of delaying deliveries even more with this specific option. Dont know what the turnaround time would look like for XPEL with Rivian.

OP
OP
Gavinmcc

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
Right or wrong, CS chat told me it wouldn’t

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
One thing that concerned me was the possibility of delaying deliveries even more with this specific option. Dont know what the turnaround time would look like for XPEL with Rivian.
It’s a fair question. Rivian has conditioned us to be paranoid of our configuration choices and how they affect delivery estimates. People who ordered Explore models and max packs and even those who originally had OC interiors all had to make compromises or wait. Although I do understand it from their side of it too - they have limited control over the supply chain and all it’s problems.

I would HOPE at this point Rivian isn’t adding in a service that would delay deliveries but who the hell knows?🤷🏼‍♂️

Sponsored

JKDU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Professor
Another concern I have is if adding the XPEL PPF now on my configuration will disqualify me for the new tax incentive for electric cars. I am under the $80,000 price point with my R1S Adventure but adding this will put me at $80,300 (I believe). Would adding the PPF be counted towards the sale of the car as it related to electric vehicle tax incentives? I did sign the earlier contract to try and see if I can qualify under the old rules but I'm not a tax expert by any means!

ranieri

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
photographer, real estate agent
Wait, maybe I missed something...did rivian cancel the full stealth PPF?

OP
OP
Gavinmcc

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
Wait, maybe I missed something...did rivian cancel the full stealth PPF?
For now it’s not an option at the factory. That may change over time and XPEL gets up and running.

Of course you can still do locally after delivery.

As for does it mess with the 80k ceiling for tax refund? My understanding is yes, if added before delivery it is part of the “price” of the truck. But I’m no tax expert.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
So to be clear based on the picture, from factory the A pillars and the lights are not done with this XPEL deal but the rest of the front vehicle nose is?
If that’s the case I feel like I would want ceramic and tint too which will cause my car to be at the shop multiple days. Adding front nose with full coverage can’t be much more $ than what Rivian is charging. I want to say my full front model Y was $2000 and that’s California prices. But at least that includes lights and A pillars plus wrapped edges etc.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Should be a good product for everyone. Convenient and somewhat inexpensive for customers. Highly efficient for the two companies (precut sheets, repetitive installs) so profitable for them.

Is Tesla doing this in China?
Sponsored