Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Agree, I could deal with that visible edge on the door or the lettering. It feels like it would just collect dirt after a while.

Edit: The more I look at this this more I'm annoyed on behalf of OP. This just looks like lazy work.
Will absolutely collect dirt around edges and will not look good (line will look much darker over time), especially on lighter colors like white. I have a white model y with some non wrapped edges along the passenger door for any front wheel debris getting kicked up and the PPF margins are clearly visible and not pretty..
Sponsored

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
Will absolutely collect dirt around edges and will not look good (line will look much darker over time), especially on lighter colors like white. I have a white model y with some non wrapped edges along the passenger door for any front wheel debris getting kicked up and the PPF margins are clearly visible and not pretty..
i have a white model s with PPF on the front and no wrapped edges. They are visible with dirt but I am able to use a bit of isopropol alcohol and wipe the edges and the dirt disappears so far. I have about 15K on the car.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Thank you Tim!
I've talked to the installer and they realized that they were using the wrong plot like you mentioned above. The installer agreed to redo the work to fix it.
Love to see this forum benefit someone. Good on the installer standing behind their work. Cheers!

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
I had the front end (fenders, bumper, grill, hood, A-pillars, B-pillars, and mirror caps) done on my truck. There was some serious gapping on the grill by the headlights plus some contamination under the bumper and driver fender. I dropped it back off this morning and they are redoing the driver fender, grill, bumper, and charge port door (the edges were not wrapped when they did it the first time). I'm also having them do the light bard/headlights and redoing the gear tunnel doors (the factory PPF was kind of crappy and peeling with dirt on the forward edges).

Having PPF on a white vehicle shows anything and everything under the PPF. There was some minor contamination under some of the other pieces, but I'm not going to complain about that with how much they are redoing anyway.

tobyringle

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Those are NOT the OEM parts designed for the Rivian package. Those are the Standard XPEL Coverage parts with the base wrapping options enabled before cutting them.

The OEM parts do not have cutouts for the emblems, and every edge that is intended to be wrapped for the program is already extended. If they cut the correct parts, they don't have to select any option or change anything before cutting them. Just open and cut and everything is correct for the program. For whatever reason, they chose to ignore this option and cut from the standard database. You would have to get with the installer to find out why.
Thank you for clarifying! Confirms our plan to do the full wrap with the XPEL/Rivian program.

Sponsored

tobyringle

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
So the moment I received the email from Rivian letting me know about the XPEL deal for existing R1T owners, I jumped in and signed up for the deal. Much thanks to TIM@XPEL taking his time sharing the details about this deal on this forum, I think everyone has a much better idea of what the deal would be (Edge wraps wherever possible, precut holes for the emblem/badge etc,.). However, I have yet seen one with the full body glossy wrap in blue.

After a long wait (I think installer responses started going out after TIM@XPEL clarified a lot about this deal in the forum), I finally got a call from one of the Colorado XPEL installer (The Man Cave) and I immediately dropped the truck off for the job. The installer was also kind enough to offer to do the full body in glossy ppf instead of the stealth ppf with an additional cost of $500 and with 10 yrs warranty instead of 5yrs. I also let them to do all window tints (using XPEL product) including front windshield and back for an additional cost.

After a few days of waiting, I finally picked up the truck this afternoon. It looks quite good at a distance. But devil is always in the detail so here are the pictures. I have never had a car ppf wrapped before so I'll let you guy be the judge.

Installer's disclaimer: They can only do edges where the XPEL tool allows them to(Can't extend the film to cover the edge.). And the window tint bottom edge also can't go into the interior window weather strip due to the XPEL tool limitation.

Front:
tempImagezfXLU6.jpg

Charging port:
tempImageSb29vl.jpg

Hood LF corner:
tempImage5YvRg4.jpg

Hood RF corner
tempImage2GppaK.jpg

Hood rear:
tempImage3ftYGA.jpg

Hood RR corner:
tempImageMCvnQa.jpg

Door Edge:
tempImageV3RdKd.jpg

Door Front Edge:
tempImagetVayQs.jpg

Door Handle:
tempImagehG37O6.jpg

Door badge:
tempImagefcWgJu.jpg

Mirror (Only wrap the outside body):
tempImageWmsZWw.jpg

Mirror Front:
tempImageT8zDD7.jpg

Gear Tunnel Door:
tempImagejZaYQO.jpg

Rear Fender Top:
tempImageTVCZLh.jpg

Tail Gate Letter and badge:
tempImageWKY9lY.jpg

tempImagezwHlrA.jpg
tempImageJzb4Hs.jpg

Window tint bottom edge:
tempImageTVvyG5.jpg
It would be great if you could update the title of this article to clarify this product was not in fact the official Rivian/Expel product. I worry people will see the title and wrongly assume this is what is being offered by Rivian/Xpel.

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
Those are NOT the OEM parts designed for the Rivian package. Those are the Standard XPEL Coverage parts with the base wrapping options enabled before cutting them.

The OEM parts do not have cutouts for the emblems, and every edge that is intended to be wrapped for the program is already extended. If they cut the correct parts, they don't have to select any option or change anything before cutting them. Just open and cut and everything is correct for the program. For whatever reason, they chose to ignore this option and cut from the standard database. You would have to get with the installer to find out why.
My only upside of not getting my Truck till October is that I can get the wrap done by Tim's people.

That said, maybe Tim@XPEL can push to get up and going sooner? I'm thinking lots of people would like to have this done day one.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
For what it's worth, we used Man Cave in Westminster for my Tesla Model 3 tinting and also ceramic coating. I would not go back to them - the tint job was sloppy in a few areas and not perfect for what I paid. Just my 0.02.

TeamPJ

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2006 Cadillac XLR-V
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I go to Distict Detail in Phoenix. They install custom PPF on vehicles, no pre-cut pieces. They did the front of my 2019 Callaway Camaro with one piece. I am dropping my R1T off there today.
The pre-cut PPF is a cheaper way to go but it doesn't offer the 100% protection. In my opinion it is worth the extra cost to have it done right.

Rivian R1T R1S XPEL Full Body Glossy PPF Installed -- Reality vs Expectation [Photos] Resized_Resized_20210128_155331 (1)

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

@Tim@XPEL Thank you for being a consistent source of vetted information about what we should and should not be seeing with he OEM packages. I think I speak for all of us when I say we are deeply grateful for your engagement with our forum.

Can you provide any updates on the factory program for either the frontal coverage ($1,500) or full stealth wrap ($4,500)? Are you still ontrack for an October launch?

I am hopeful the timing will work out for me in order to take advantage of the factory installation to avoid some of the quality control and confusion that folks are getting across independent XPEl installers.

Tim@XPEL

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Occupation
VP OEM
@Tim@XPEL Thank you for being a consistent source of vetted information about what we should and should not be seeing with he OEM packages. I think I speak for all of us when I say we are deeply grateful for your engagement with our forum.

Can you provide any updates on the factory program for either the frontal coverage ($1,500) or full stealth wrap ($4,500)? Are you still ontrack for an October launch?

I am hopeful the timing will work out for me in order to take advantage of the factory installation to avoid some of the quality control and confusion that folks are getting across independent XPEl installers.
Unfortunately I don't have any updates at this time, but we are working as quickly as we can to get this online.
Sponsored