First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Prius, 2023 R1T
Clubs

Some legislators want to ban EVs

This is less interesting for the ban on EVs for me since I live in Colorado but in the meat of the article it also suggests these 6 legislators are fairly hostile to charging stations. I can't quite make Montana on one charge so this is somewhat irritating but not surprising that Wyoming is one of the states resisting electric anything.

"The legislation said that adding new power charging stations would require 'massive' amounts of new power to 'sustain the misadventure of electric vehicles.'"
Sponsored

OP
OP
Hankenstein

Hankenstein

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Prius, 2023 R1T
Clubs

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I figured this would not make it far but the tone about the charging stations is not going away. Just keeping my own expectations on how easy it will be to cross Wyoming realistic.
What's funny is when the original article came out I went to the source. The Cowboy State news also had an article about towns and businesses wanting more chargers for tourism. Commonsense prevails

OP
OP
Hankenstein

Hankenstein

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Prius, 2023 R1T
Clubs

What's funny is when the original article came out I went to the source. The Cowboy State news also had an article about towns and businesses wanting more chargers for tourism. Commonsense prevails
That is good to hear/read! Representatives can't represent everyone. I promise to drive to whatever Wyoming city that installs a charger and buy a sandwich. I should also change the title to banning EV sales not all EVs.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
ha. that is funny. I wonder what these guys think that all those wind turbines do in Wyoming? Only power oil, gas, and coal mines? Hopefully this will just be a last ditch attempt and we can move on.

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

Some legislators want to ban EVs

This is less interesting for the ban on EVs for me since I live in Colorado but in the meat of the article it also suggests these 6 legislators are fairly hostile to charging stations. I can't quite make Montana on one charge so this is somewhat irritating but not surprising that Wyoming is one of the states resisting electric anything.

"The legislation said that adding new power charging stations would require 'massive' amounts of new power to 'sustain the misadventure of electric vehicles.'"
I heard an interview with one of the bill’s authors, who reminded us that the majority of their renewable energy is sent to California. So a state rich with fossil fuel and with renewable energy resources so abundant they are exporting, is concerned about running out of energy for its 580,000 residents of the state, if more electric cars are added? They also said that there were less than a 1000 electric vehicles registered in WY. Seems like a publicity stunt.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

i can't even recall the last bit of news i heard about the state of Wyoming. they must be dying for attention.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

The whole idea is clearly a farce to generate attention. If you really wanted to ban EV sales, there's no reason to wait until 2035 to do so. It's simply a parody of the states banning gas vehicles in the same timeframe.

BCal55

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Sounds like a giant nothing-burger even if it would have passed:

"If it had passed the full Legislature, Senate Joint Resolution 4 would have made it a goal that the sale of new electric vehicles (EV) in the state be phased out by 2035.

It requested that Wyoming industries and residents voluntarily limit their sales and purchases of new EVs.

...The resolution was not a bill and, had it advanced all the way to becoming law, wouldn’t have had the force of a ban."

via https://cowboystatedaily.com/2023/0...ectric-vehicles-in-wyoming-dies-in-committee/

Sponsored

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
A little stunt legislation. Nice to see elected officials collecting a paycheck for no reason whatsoever. If they want to preserve the state's resources they should just quit.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Withholding Federal money earmarked for transportation, which currently makes up 80% of Wyoming's DOT budget, should clear this little performance theater right up.
Sponsored