WSJ article……there is only one way to deal with ignorance. JB

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
"The electric truck maker has delivered a mere 156 vehicles, but investors are betting government won’t let it fail.........................................."
No. I am betting that Amazon won't let Rivian fail for the simple reason than Bezos doesn't want to be seen as losing to Musk.
And I'm betting that Amazon won't let Rivian fail because the EV vans make economic sense and are a fundamental part of Amazon's last mile strategy.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
And I'm betting that Amazon won't let Rivian fail because the EV vans make economic sense and are a fundamental part of Amazon's last mile strategy.
Amazon will buy Rivian before it got anywhere near failing.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Amazon could. But IMO opinion they will simply place more orders for delivery vans. With a committed book of orders, Rivian would have what it needs to attract more capital if needed. Their current order is far, far, short of what Amazon needs to accomplish their mission.

Sponsored

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
They definitely would. I think Bezos has it out for Musk so he would for sure pump more money into. Rivian is like his Blue Origin v. SpaceX. Let’s just hope that isn’t necessary and they grow organically from here

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
I can’t tell you the amount of times I’ve seen negative comments about any EV on Fox News too. You would figure these people would love it, no more buying fossil fuels from hostile nations, and American made vehicles.
As a proud Alabamian and a conservative leaning person I think that there is huge potential for EVs to be marketed in a way that would make them appeal more to people like myself. Right now the response from most conservatives to someone that drives an EV is something along the line of "So... do you like your coal powered car." There is no point in arguing the absurdity of this question. So the response from me will be "Yeah, I love supporting the coal industry that provides US jobs and 16% of our states power output. When I had an ICE vehicle I hated going to the pump knowing that around 20% of the oil we import comes from the middle east." I didn't reserve a Rivian because it will decrease my carbon footprint; I reserved one because I expect it to have a lower cost of ownership over a similar ICE truck, the performance is phenomenal, it is more functional than an ICE truck, and many other reasons. I look forward to discussing this with people who only think of EVs as hippie tree hugger cars.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA

ccmun

First Name
Silva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T, KTM 1290
Occupation
Tech Consulting
It's no surprise that the WSJ would selectively oppose the Keynesian economics of the Biden Admin. Gov't has a role in creating demand via Govt spending. We can debate how much, or who pays for it, but the Govt has a role in mitigating risk and stimulating emerging industries. I could name countless industries, the internet Telecoms, vaccine research, space....

Sponsored

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
So many people I've talked to over the past month just cant get over the 'LOL 156 vehicles' or 'LOL worth more than Ford' talking points. Its not just a truck manufacturer. If it was I'd say their cap would be 10x less. It the ecosystem.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

The WSJ editorial board has been off their rocker for a long time. They haven’t written anything that’s resonated with me for years (except for some of Peggy Noonan’s pieces). Which is odd, as I’m generally pro-business with an MBA, so I’m part of their target demographics. They even wrote a hit piece blaming the failings of the Texas grid on wind power. Which just goes against reality.

It’s too bad, as the WSJ’s reporting is still some of the best around.

Hopefully they can bring up a new generation of editorial content once old Rupert finally gets out of the business.

Spiffster

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 (Sold), Ford Fusion Energi
Elon Musk already offered to go to zero on subsidies with these big energy posers after Robert Murray (coal exec) criticized the EV subsidies that were supposedly keeping Telsa alive. Crickets in response. Maybe WSJ should try being less hacky and maybe people will take them seriously. Maybe.

Last edited:

JoeRMV

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
The WSJ has become unreadable. Although I agree the valuation is hard to understand, either Americans & American companies will be making the EVs of the future or the Chinese and China companies will be doing so. Let's all take a lesson from the current supply chain constraints causing American inflation & stop depending so much on China and other countries. That is why Rivian is going to succeed (nothing to do with politics); plus they developed EVs we all want!

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
So many people I've talked to over the past month just cant get over the 'LOL 156 vehicles' or 'LOL worth more than Ford' talking points. Its not just a truck manufacturer. If it was I'd say their cap would be 10x less. It the ecosystem.
People don’t often see the bigger picture. The system (stock market and media) is set up around days or weeks or quarters, but successful companies work on 3-5 year plans (or longer). People dwell on small details of a company, rather than the long term picture with all the moving parts. It is fun to watch them be continuously wrong and then justify it.

Apple was going to die according to everyone for 20 years. Their phone “wouldn’t sell.” Their services were “a joke.” The lack of clear vision of many tech pundits and many hedge-fund managers (multiple studies over the years show sitting in the S&P 500 long term outperforms the majority of actively managed hedge funds by a healthy margin) is staggering.
Sponsored