nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Link to the editorial, though behind a paywall, my apologies
https://www.wsj.com/articles/rivian...lectric-vehicles-trucks-subsidies-11636669730

1st paragraph:
We live in the age of free money and endless government subsidy, which is the only way to explain the $100 billion public stock offering by Rivian this week. The electric truck maker has delivered a mere 156 vehicles, but investors are betting government won’t let it fail..........................................

Last paragraph:
This is an extraordinary moment. We are watching the government literally underwrite a new industry before our eyes, steering capital to EV makers come what may. In post-capitalist America, you can still become a billionaire overnight—if you’re in a business favored by politicians.

The authors seem really annoyed (maybe even whiny?) by Rivian's IPO success. Seem annoyed that Rivian is not getting points deducted by investors for having a non union plant, taking advantage of lenient rules allowing pre IPO emerging growth companies to skip some Sarbanes-Oxley requirements, and the fact that Amazon will get tax credits for buying EV delivery vehicles. The short editorial also mentions legal problems with Lordstown and Workhouse, implying possible concern for Rivian.

I agree, the valuation seems completely beyond explanation, and it might even make sense to short Rivian. But I don't see the valuation being due primarily due to US government tax credits. The tax credit was not a factor in my order (though I'm happy to take it). Investors see a chance to get in early (sort of) in a promising growth industry and technology. I expect US tax credits are a factor in how fast the technology is implemented, but a transisition away from ICE vehicles will continue even without tax credits and EV's are by far the most promising alternative.

I expect Rivian's founders will also be a little annoyed by the "become a billionaire overnight" comment.

Nice picture of a black R1T in the article.

One really good point: " The electric truck maker has delivered a mere 156 vehicles ". I'm rooting for Rivian to really pick this up now, though my interests are very self serving.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Maybe they should have spent the last 12 years building up a new auto company from scratch before being so quick to discount what Rivian is doing. The authors are clearly delusional.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring

ERI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S, 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I’m a preordered holder, but decided at the last second not to pull the trigger the DSP (my loss). When it comes to the Valuation and IPO pop, the fundamentals just aren't there (I agree with WSJ) but as a vehicle platform/company Rivian is poised for a great future (and is now capitalized to do it). I just think Rivian is overvalued looking ahead in the short term (18-24 months). Once Normal is running at full capacity and other factories are under construction will they start to earn that valuation. (Just my opinion)

Sponsored

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

What's funny to me here is that the more capital goes into Rivian the more likely it is to succeed in hitting its scale targets. That would not only justify the valuation, but totally blow it away. Once people start to realize that, guess what they do (invest in Rivian).

Fred6v

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi avant, VW Tiguan
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

WSJ: boo hoo the government is encouraging a new (or any) industry. Like that has never happened before?! How abt decades of encouraging/funding/subsidize polluting planet destroying fossil fuel companies. Conservative shmucks who resist change while the leaders they kiss up to deny science.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Ole Rupert really has an axe to grind against EVs, huh? I can’t tell you the amount of times I’ve seen negative comments about any EV on Fox News too. You would figure these people would love it, no more buying fossil fuels from hostile nations, and American made vehicles. Oh well

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
So far the government isn't doing any special favors for Rivian. In fact, as a non-union shop, they pretty much haven't even been acknowledged by the government. Can't read the entire piece but it is funny how they seem to single out Rivian as the beneficiary of government "subsidies". I'm assuming they also fail to acknowledge the true underlying reasons behind spurring EV adoption which goes far beyond Rivian or any other EV startup. This comes across as pure and simple WSJ paywall click-bait.

Sponsored

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Let's not forget the government backing the Corn industry for decades leading to crap ethanol fuel in more of our ICE vehicles...

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
WSJ: boo hoo the government is encouraging a new (or any) industry. Like that has never happened before?! How abt decades of encouraging/funding/subsidize polluting planet destroying fossil fuel companies. Conservative shmucks who resist change while the leaders they kiss up to deny science.
This.

Note the WSJ Editorial Board did not seem to mind either the tailwinds of 12 years of super accommodative monetary policy and corporate tax breaks that made everyone look smart. They must have forgotten too the GFC bailout of certain too big to fail financial houses.

Arbitrage off the government is a well worn path. Having it induce good outcomes is less common.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
All I can say is LOLOLOL. I cancelled my journal sub when Murdoch bought the paper almost 15 years because of, well, crap just like this. "In post-capitalist America, you can still become a billionaire overnight—if you’re in a business favored by politicians." Hahahahaha. Suddenly the WSJ recognizes that there might be some kind of revolving door between our government and our industries (but I guess it only applies to one electric car startup and not, say, big pharma, big oil, media, etc., etc., etc.) I guess they have to find new boogiemen in their spare time when they're not trying to make you blame everything on immigrants. Thanks for sharing. Had my good laugh for the morning.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
but investors are betting government won’t let it fail..........................................
My assumption was and is that the government will let Rivian fail.

This is a quite myopic viewpoint, but not surprising. Given the Editorial Board's denial of climate change, EVs are unnecessary to battle climate change, because it doesn't exist in the first place.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
WSJ is mad? good. Last I saw there was hardly any governmental support for Rivian, most of it is Amazon and ego man won't let Rivian fail before the US government would step in.

I'd just like to see that build count go up, and some better communication.
Sponsored