Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Don't see what that has anything to do with anything... But if you must know, it's a young asian woman.
I believe he made the comment because of the notch that the band was set to. Many of us have to wear ours in the very last notch, and we don't consider our wrists large. Nothing else meant by his statement, and certainly nothing with any ill intent.
Sponsored

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
As a side note, center caps for the 21" wheels have gone up $5 each in the last couple of weeks.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Don't see what that has anything to do with anything... But if you must know, it's a young asian woman. Official video from 5/6/2022:

As of April of this year, in an installment of "Rivian Responds" in subreddit r/Rivian, they told the sub there are currently no plans to offer the wristband in the Gear Shop; a 180° from what was said a year ago. The key band is LE only. Unless they changed their mind yet again, in just a couple weeks, the tutorial content is meant only for those who are still taking LE deliveries via R1 Shop or otherwise. Separate from that, either during an event held at Venice Hub (for SoCal owners/reservation holders) or the Instagram Q&A, VP of Software (Wassym) said they are in testing with Apple Watch As Key. Roughly a year ago, on reddit, he told me "it is on the development roadmap". Progress.
This is what my guide said as well. I inquired about it after the PaaK issue earlier this year. I carry my card in my wallet as a backup most of the time, but there are some times I like to lock my wallet in the truck, and in those cases it would be nice to have the wrist band. I don't wear a smart watch so the Apple Watch is not a suitable replacement for me, but I could see it being so for a lot of people.

amitlikhyani

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Defender 90, 2007 911 Turbo, R1T on order
Occupation
Enterprise Software Sales
Same here. I tried using it a few times surfing and it was frustrating to get the car door unlocked. I thought the key card was frustrating but after struggling with the wrist band, the key card is a piece of cake in comparison. lol
To me surfing is the killer use case. Can't put a conventional car key in your wetsuit so you are left trying to hide it somewhere. If the wrist band worked well it would have value. Too bad to hear your experience.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
To me surfing is the killer use case. Can't put a conventional car key in your wetsuit so you are left trying to hide it somewhere. If the wrist band worked well it would have value. Too bad to hear your experience.
I think once you properly set your expectations by understanding that there will be a delay after presenting the band, the experience is more than adequate for the surfing use case.

Ozmt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 genesis gv70 sport prestige. 13 fiat pop, 22 R1
Occupation
Air traffic controller, retired
Me too. I also don't love the bulkiness of the clasp. But I appreciate the design and the cool option, so kudos to Rivian for offering this. And retweet to the retweet above about NFC as a key - my apple watch really should be a Rivian key (and I believe Rivian heard the message and will deliver s00n)
Or how about android watches that have paak? Android has about 10,000 more devices for each Apple.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Or how about android watches that have paak? Android has about 10,000 more devices for each Apple.
You're making some incorrect assumptions, here.

First of all, Android has more devices, worldwide, but that is largely due to inexpensive low-end devices -- especially in other countries. These users don't buy Rivian vehicles and their numbers should be excluded when considering which platforms Rivian should prioritize.

Looking specifically at smartwatch offerings, Apple Watch has a 43% share -- the largest of any single company by a wide margin: https://www.bankmycell.com/blog/global-smartwatch-market-share/

When looking by ecosystem, iPhone users are more than double as likely as Android phone users to have a smart watch (any brand): https://www.macrumors.com/2019/11/05/iphone-twice-smartwatch-android/

Android phone users who do use smartwatches are more likely to own a FitBit than the most popular Android smart watch (Samsung).

Bottom line: if Rivian wanted to prioritize a smart watch it makes sense for it to be Apple Watch. I'd probably go with Garmin as the second. Android smart watches are FAR down the list -- below even FitBit.

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
I got the wristband with my launch edition R1S about 3 weeks ago. It isn't that great. Not sure I would trust swimming with it and it not unlatching. Also it took a lot of attempts to find the right place to unlock and start the car. The delay makes it even more difficult.

Ozmt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 genesis gv70 sport prestige. 13 fiat pop, 22 R1
Occupation
Air traffic controller, retired
You're making some incorrect assumptions, here.

First of all, Android has more devices, worldwide, but that is largely due to inexpensive low-end devices -- especially in other countries. These users don't buy Rivian vehicles and their numbers should be excluded when considering which platforms Rivian should prioritize.

Looking specifically at smartwatch offerings, Apple Watch has a 43% share -- the largest of any single company by a wide margin: https://www.bankmycell.com/blog/global-smartwatch-market-share/

When looking by ecosystem, iPhone users are more than double as likely as Android phone users to have a smart watch (any brand): https://www.macrumors.com/2019/11/05/iphone-twice-smartwatch-android/

Android phone users who do use smartwatches are more likely to own a FitBit than the most popular Android smart watch (Samsung).

Bottom line: if Rivian wanted to prioritize a smart watch it makes sense for it to be Apple Watch. I'd probably go with Garmin as the second. Android smart watches are FAR down the list -- below even FitBit.
I don't agree with the figures you've posted. I've scoured the internet and your numbers don't match.
Equating low cost android with the inability to buy a luxury car is way out of line. I know many apple users that depend on the government to survive and could not afford a rivian. The same with android.
I also show that the market share of Samsung watches to be much higher than you've listed. Your assumptions that Samsung owners use a FitBit more often is also not a fact that I can find anywhere. In my own world, many people buy FitBit because they don't want to pay the large price for an apple or the much less price of a Samsung. Just because someone chooses to buy a lower cost android has absolutely zero proof of their wealth. I personally dropped all apple products in 2007 when I found out that one doesn't really own an apple product. The fine print on every apple sales receipt shows that apple retains all rights to the item you just thought you purchased.
Either way, I'm pulling for rivian to at least consider apple, android, Garmin and any other device that has paak capability and the appropriate security. Bottom line, it doesn't make sense for rivian to look at only apple. If we did a survey, I doubt apple watches are worn by rivian owners in a percentage greater than other watches.

Sponsored

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I gave my wristband to my wife. The largest setting his too tight to be comfortable for me. I am hoping for key using the Android Wear OS platform.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I don't agree with the figures you've posted. I've scoured the internet and your numbers don't match.
I lieterally included links to the numbers 🤷‍♂️

Equating low cost android with the inability to buy a luxury car is way out of line. I know many apple users that depend on the government to survive and could not afford a rivian. The same with android.
I'm not talking about individual users. I'm talking about total sales numbers. You can't say "android sells more phones than iOS therefore..." Android sells more when you include low-end devices and third-world countries. There are people in poor financial states who have brand new iOS devices in their pockets, of course. That isn't the point.

I also show that the market share of Samsung watches to be much higher than you've listed. Your assumptions that Samsung owners use a FitBit more often is also not a fact that I can find anywhere.
I posted the link! Did you bother to look at it? (Rhetorical question -- obviously you didn't).

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Been wearing mine basically since it came in... September I think? Haven't had issues with it at all, you just have to be patient since the truck is slow to read it when it's asleep. It used to be faster but that was back when phantom drain was really bad because the truck wasn't sleeping. I'd rather wait the 8 seconds than have the truck waste 5%+ of the battery pack every day.
same. it works, you just have to be patient.

Hankenstein

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Prius, 2023 R1T
Clubs

I lieterally included links to the numbers 🤷‍♂️

I'm not talking about individual users. I'm talking about total sales numbers. You can't say "android sells more phones than iOS therefore..." Android sells more when you include low-end devices and third-world countries. There are people in poor financial states who have brand new iOS devices in their pockets, of course. That isn't the point.

I posted the link! Did you bother to look at it? (Rhetorical question -- obviously you didn't).
I am going to poke some fun at myself now. I 100% prefer android products and went looking for some current information to utterly refute Commodore's info from way back in 2019.

Unfortunately for me all I did find completely supports it.
https://www.statista.com/topics/4762/smartwatches/#topicOverview

According to this, Apple owns more than 50% of the smart watch market, seems like a logical place to start developing to me.

Other non linked stats do support the idea that when Rivian goes more global they absolutely will also need android support, particularly in Europe where Apple market share is weaker. But as Commodore has continually said, biggest bang for your initial development is clearly IOS.

VFUNARI

First Name
vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Chief Scientific Officer at Cancer Diagnostics
I have a model 3 and a R1T and surf probably at least 2x week, put my card into my wetsuit or shorts zipper pocket if I’m going with trunks and a neoprene top. Maybe my wetsuit is tight or I don’t surf everyday so I don’t notice it. I do have a Apple Watch and would prefer that, but I also have cellular on it so if something bad happens. I can always call the wife… I still haven’t seen the use case for the remote. It’s bigger than the card which I carry in my wallet or my clothes which is easier than the remote.
Sponsored