Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Was taking my car in for service and read somewhere (either on this forum or reddit) that if you ask the service center they may sell you a wristband key. I asked and they said sure (i don't have the car back yet or the key in hand, truck is still still being worked on at the service center, but they added it to the work order). YMMV.

IMG_0948.jpg
Did they charge you $60 to program it so that the wrist band would work, or was the labor for something else?
Sponsored

Ozmt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 genesis gv70 sport prestige. 13 fiat pop, 22 R1
Occupation
Air traffic controller, retired
I am going to poke some fun at myself now. I 100% prefer android products and went looking for some current information to utterly refute Commodore's info from way back in 2019.

Unfortunately for me all I did find completely supports it.
https://www.statista.com/topics/4762/smartwatches/#topicOverview

According to this, Apple owns more than 50% of the smart watch market, seems like a logical place to start developing to me.

Other non linked stats do support the idea that when Rivian goes more global they absolutely will also need android support, particularly in Europe where Apple market share is weaker. But as Commodore has continually said, biggest bang for your initial development is clearly IOS.
For me, the fact that they're are more than 100 android sales for every iPhone should be enough to push for Android.

teddyang

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adeventure Edition, RB, BM, 21"
Clubs

Did they charge you $60 to program it so that the wrist band would work, or was the labor for something else?
The $60 was to program it.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
For me, the fact that they're are more than 100 android sales for every iPhone should be enough to push for Android.
Not saying Android support shouldn't also happen, but your 100:1 stat is a) extremely questionable and b) irrelevant to Rivian even if it's accurate. Rivian is currently in 2 markets: The US and Canada. iPhone sales outnumber Android phone sales in those 2 markets, and Apple Watch sales have an even bigger lead.

Ozmt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Not saying Android support shouldn't also happen, but your 100:1 stat is a) extremely questionable and b) irrelevant to Rivian even if it's accurate. Rivian is currently in 2 markets: The US and Canada. iPhone sales outnumber Android phone sales in those 2 markets, and Apple Watch sales have an even bigger lead.
To say iphone sales in North America are more than android is totally false. Very easy to verify on Google. Same with 100 to 1 sales worldwide. Most likely due to the amount of lower priced phones and tablets

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
To say iphone sales in North America are more than android is totally false. Very easy to verify on Google. Same with 100 to 1 sales worldwide. Most likely due to the amount of lower priced phones and tablets
You don't see the irony, here?

Hankenstein

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Prius, 2023 R1T
Clubs

No actually. You are completely wrong as of June 2022 according to Financial Times which seems reputable

https://www.engadget.com/iphone-overtakes-android-us-market-share-223251196.html

And remember I am on your side and totally agree that Android should be included in the development process but factually you are wrong. Don't f-up the rest of us on this side of the argument by saying stupid stuff.

Ozmt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I lieterally included links to the numbers šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

I'm not talking about individual users. I'm talking about total sales numbers. You can't say "android sells more phones than iOS therefore..." Android sells more when you include low-end devices and third-world countries. There are people in poor financial states who have brand new iOS devices in their pockets, of course. That isn't the point.

I posted the link! Did you bother to look at it? (Rhetorical question -- obviously you didn't).
I know you posted links. However, I can make up data and post a link fi that data,
I did my own research and your numbers don't jive with data available online. However, I'll not doubt the veracity that Apple users defend Apple (and tesla lovers do the same)
Android, being open architecture, is much easier to deal with and get on the play store. If you've ever tried to put an app in the Apple site, the red tape and approval levels are mine boggling.
All that being said, I believe iOS will be first to get the attention, maybe because of the sheer volume of squeaky wheels

ElGuapo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - April 2021 preorder
FWIW OP, the ā€œcoming soonā€ you show is from the Rivian App pre-car delivery which also shows functions/options only on the R1T. My point is, the app guides havenā€™t even been updated for S, so I donā€™t think theyā€™re paying attention to the wristband photo.

Side note on topic. Apple Watch as key would be great, but ultimately, I always have my phone on me in pocket, backpack, etc so not sure why thereā€™s so much focus on away to unlock from oneā€™s wrist.

Dblackwood72

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Quad/Limestone/Ocean Coast
If Rivian will support a watch, I hope that it can be used with watches other than just Apple. I admittedly use an iPhone, but Apple monopolizing the UI interface to EVERYTHING will not be good for consumers. (On a separate note, that's also why I have zero interest in CarPlay and much prefer that Rivian continue to hone their own capabilities.)
For what it's worth... one of the guy's at my service center said Apple Watch integration is in the works. Not sure how or why he would have that info.

Sponsored

schalliol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S6, Honda Odyssey
Been ages here. Has anyone heard about making it available

ssbmx90

First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sti, Tesla
Occupation
Secret
Thereā€™s a wrist bandā€¦.? šŸ˜‚

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Been ages here. Has anyone heard about making it available
If you donā€™t see it in the Gear Shop and donā€™t see any announcements on Rivianā€™s social platforms and no one has talked about it since a thread that is over a year old, then it hasnā€™t happened. And no one knows. Might as well be picking tonightā€™s Powerball numbers. Been ages since they spoke of Apple Watch As Key also. Canā€™t possibly take this long to develop and deploy. Iā€™d just assume itā€™s been binned or shelved indefinitely for sake of other priorities: R2 and new software suite for the entire brand. ā€œPromises are made to be brokenā€.

Same with so many other issues they don't speak of, like improving service capacity/expansion. Basic observation/psychology: If they have positive things to say, they will comment. If not, they'd rather not say. Hence the silence.

And if new owners are still seeing that content about the wristband, which was already outdated by second year of production/deliveries, Rivian's customer comms is poorly managed in some respects. That one is an example. Typical start-up issue, decisions change faster than some parts of the company can keep track of (accidentally or willingly).

Some people have had luck buying the bands from Rivian. Others have been told "no". Open a service ticket for it and try your luck. Or, just keep your eyes open for one in all the usual online commerce sites. Be vigilant for scams (and outrageous asking prices). IMO, PAAK is decent enough now, that I don't see it as a worthwhile pursuit. Then again, I don't do aquatic sports either.

Last edited:

schalliol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S6, Honda Odyssey
I bought one from someone on Facebook who didnā€™t use their LE vehicle (which coincidentally was delivered after my AE).
Sponsored