Sponsored

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
I would love to use my Garmin watch as a key. It has both NFC and Bluetooth.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I think that image is old.

Side-note: Is that a child modeling the wrist band? My wrists aren't huge but the wristband is only comfortable on the largest setting, for me. It's a squeeze to use the 2nd largest.

Second side-note: I hope they are taking Apple Watch seriously. Having PAAK functionality for the watch would be preferable, imo, and is the only reason I'd accept them not offering the wrist band in the Gear Shop.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Side-note: Is that a child modeling the wrist band? My wrists aren't huge but the wristband is only comfortable on the largest setting, for me. It's a squeeze to use the 2nd largest.

Second side-note: I hope they are taking Apple Watch seriously. Having PAAK functionality for the watch would be preferable, imo, and is the only reason I'd accept them not offering the wrist band in the Gear Shop.
Me too. I also don't love the bulkiness of the clasp. But I appreciate the design and the cool option, so kudos to Rivian for offering this. And retweet to the retweet above about NFC as a key - my apple watch really should be a Rivian key (and I believe Rivian heard the message and will deliver s00n)

Sponsored

BBeach

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I thought all launch editions came with a wrist band, No?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I thought all launch editions came with a wrist band, No?
Some actually came with it and the rest got an IOU. How long it took for that IOU to be satisfied varies and Neil deGrasse Tyson couldn't even explain the formula used to determine order of fulfillment.

I waited almost a year to get my wristband.

JeffADK

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Convertible, Tractor, UTV
Occupation
All the time
Clubs

If Rivian will support a watch, I hope that it can be used with watches other than just Apple. I admittedly use an iPhone, but Apple monopolizing the UI interface to EVERYTHING will not be good for consumers. (On a separate note, that's also why I have zero interest in CarPlay and much prefer that Rivian continue to hone their own capabilities.)

tyfly867

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
370z, Chevy Suburban
Adding a smart watch key will cannibalize sales of their wrist solution, wondering if that will affect their decision as to whether or not to provide that option.

Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Those annoyed by PAAK should be warned the wristband will likely drive you mad. The hunt to get it in just the right spot to unlock and start the vehicle is hugely frustrating for me. Not to mention kinda needing it on my right wrist as I normally approach my car door and then on my left wrist to start the truck. (No, I don't switch wrists with it, but I'm getting older...flexibility & contortionism are not strong suits. 😁) I know it's a specific use case kind of thing, and I have a couple of those "don't have my phone/card/fob" with me cases, but after trying it for a while I have it stashed away until another such use arises. The other three keys are a much better day-to-day answer.

Completely agree on the watch comments. Smart watch integration would be a game changer.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The design doesn't lend itself well to having a lot of extra room. I've got a fenix 6 on the same wrist as the keyband, and if the band had the same range the watch has, it'd have another hole on the smaller direction and about 5 in the larger direction.

Rivian really should be shipping multiple band sizes, but I'd personally still end up selecting the one I have.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Those annoyed by PAAK should be warned the wristband will likely drive you mad. The hunt to get it in just the right spot to unlock and start the vehicle is hugely frustrating for me.
There's no hunt involved. It just takes time for the communication to happen. Especially on the outside door handle if the truck is asleep.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
There's no hunt involved. It just takes time for the communication to happen. Especially on the outside door handle if the truck is asleep.
Good point...I haven't used mine in months and forgot it's mainly the time thing. The comm time is much longer than PAAK ever takes for me. And it seems to need to be REALLY close to the door handle. It eventually works, but takes long enough to make you doubt it will work. ;)

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The design doesn't lend itself well to having a lot of extra room. I've got a fenix 6 on the same wrist as the keyband, and if the band had the same range the watch has, it'd have another hole on the smaller direction and about 5 in the larger direction.

Rivian really should be shipping multiple band sizes, but I'd personally still end up selecting the one I have.
I think they should have made the wristband just a small loop that we could thread our existing watch bands through. That way it's ecosystem-agnostic and people who wear watches don't have to wear a second band around their wrist.
Sponsored