Sponsored

Would you take the 21s on the R1T off road much?

retart13

First Name
Nino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW m340i, R1S
Would love to get the 20s, but will wait until we see some real world range results. For those thinking of getting the 21s, would you take it off roading? Do you think they will be fine for occasional trail riding? Or will it likely be a huge penalty? I would probably take it several times a year max, and the R1T's main job for me would be highway commuter. Just getting your guys' thoughts.
Sponsored

Ventura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Red Canyon 20" / Prius
Would love to get the 20s, but will wait until we see some real world range results. For those thinking of getting the 21s, would you take it off roading? Do you think they will be fine for occasional trail riding? Or will it likely be a huge penalty? I would probably take it several times a year max, and the R1T's main job for me would be highway commuter. Just getting your guys' thoughts.
I don't plan on getting the 21". I think they will lack traction so they won't be good in mud but I'm more concerned about the lighter nature (fewer plies) that would make them bad for rocky conditions that I would see regularly off road. So, I think it really depends on the condition of the trail.

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
I would not even once, unless it is a short pebbled drive way to a farm at most.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Do we know how much the 21's and 22's are with Tires from Rivian?

I can't seem to find it in the forum...I will keep searching

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Would love to get the 20s, but will wait until we see some real world range results. For those thinking of getting the 21s, would you take it off roading?
For light offroading, I think the 21's would be just fine. For context, here's the tire sidewall height for all 3 wheel options:

50R22 tires on 22" wheels: 5.41" (all season)
55R21 tires on 21" wheels: 5.95" (all season)
60R20 tires on 20" wheels: 6.5"
65R20 tires on 20" wheels: 7.04" (all terrain)

I wish Rivian offered an all-season tire in the 275/60R20 size (like the Pirelli Verde or AS 3 Plus). It would get better mileage than the AT tire and you'd still have plenty of sidewall for offroading.

Last edited:

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Sidewall height and tread pattern are not the only factors in off-road performance. I don’t know the internal construction of the 21” tires…. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve got fewer plys and are generally not well suited for offroad use.

If you’re going to do anything more than a short dirt road, I would accept the hit to efficiency and get the 20” tire. Punctures suck a heck of a lot more than 10% drop in efficiency.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
My plan is to sell the free 21’s and then buying a set of cheaper 20’s with some 37” Toyo O.C. A/T III rubber (assuming everything clears of course). Luckily the commute won’t be very far so not too worried about the range hit. I think the 21” wheels would be ok for some off-roading as long as you’re smart about it. But I prefer the fishing and camping spots that are a little harder to get to.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I’m guessing 95% will use the RT1 for Home Depot runs. Off roading… no. The 20’’ rims and tire combo is needed for off roading., or you can expect to be buying a a lot of replacement rims and tires.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
My personal issue is that I find the 22's the best looking out of the three For the R1S.

but value and off-roading with the 20’s is prudent.

probably buying a second set….argh…

Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Looks doesn't cover sturdiness & longevity. I mean, look at the TAT vid, that wasn't severe hardcore off-roading and their vehicles (Rivian and non-Rivian alike) still suffered punctures. Those 21/22s would get demolished in no time. 20's are the way to go. If wheels/rims are your concern, there are plenty of aftermarket ones that can suite your liking (if you're willing to pony up even more $$ on a $73+k vehicle). That or, as you mentioned above, have a 2nd set of 20's aside for when you do go off-road. I know I plan to do this myself if I see the 20s alone is going to tank mileage that significantly.

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Looks doesn't cover sturdiness & longevity. I mean, look at the TAT vid, that wasn't severely hardcore off-roading and their vehicles suffered punctures. Those 21/22s would get demolished in no time. 20's are the way to go. If wheels/rims are your concern, there are plenty of aftermarket ones that can suite your liking (if you're willing to pony up even more $$ on a $73+k vehicle). That or, as you mentioned above, have a 2nd set of 20's aside for when you do go off-road. I know I plan to do this myself if I see the 20s alone is going to tank mileage that significantly.
mind you the TRX popped (at least) a tire as well.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I've been on some off-roading trails with my lowered 4wd sonoma with 18" summer street tires. As long as you aren't driving anywhere the surface is muddy or sandy it's not a big deal to have the wrong tires and wheels, you just have to drive a bit slower. It's super easy to get stuck in mud with street tread tires though, so it's important to know what you're getting into. Backing up a half mile down a tight trail is not a fun thing.

Personally I'm getting the 22's and the underbody package. If I decide to take it somewhere I might actually need A/T tires I'll be getting something aftermarket with bead-locks.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
All good points for the 20’s and 22’s.

like2short

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW m3
Occupation
Race car driver
No! The 21 will be hard to find if you damage one beyond repair ! The 20 and 22 sizes are very common.
Sponsored