Sponsored

Would You Have Your Windshield Replaced for this Defect?

Replace Windshield?

• Yep, replace it

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Nope, live with it

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Discovered a defect inside the glass on my windshield while it was being tinted. It’s definitely in the glass, not on the inside or outside. Directly in the drivers line of sight, but low.

Visible in all light, but much more noticeable in some light.

Would you have Rivian replace your windshield? I live 1 hour from service center.
Rivian R1T R1S Would You Have Your Windshield Replaced for this Defect? E89A977A-5B9F-4CD7-AC64-8EE08A6453FA
Rivian R1T R1S Would You Have Your Windshield Replaced for this Defect? AA656EBD-A775-40EE-870A-F77955E6EBA0
Rivian R1T R1S Would You Have Your Windshield Replaced for this Defect? 8CC4BB2E-AE29-471C-8FE1-C65FBA6A8A2C
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Looks like a stone chip. Is it that, or an inclusion in the glass?

OP
OP

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Looks like a stone chip. Is it that, or an inclusion in the glass?
100% not a chip. Interior and exterior are 100% smooth. Something (debris or inclusion) embedded within the glass.

DynoSaur

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Occupation
Network Engineer
That would drive me bonkers if it was in my line of sight.

That being said, I've had tiny chips a few times, directly in my line of sight - and after a month or so, they became "invisible" - 90% of the time.

But man, that 10% when I'd focus on it....

I think I'd ask them to replace, if it were mine.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Even though I live in CO which means the replacement would probably have a chip 30 seconds after I left the service center, I would get it replaced. Can’t believe they didn’t catch that before delivery.

I finally watched that “American Factory” documentary on Netflix about Fuyao Glass and it definitely did not inspire confidence in any glass they make.

Sponsored

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
My tint shop left a small piece like that in windshield tint. I didn’t notice it after 2 days. Still don’t. Only when I clean the windshield do I see it now.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
100% not a chip. Interior and exterior are 100% smooth. Something (debris or inclusion) embedded within the glass.
hard to tell from a picture. I’d be asking for a replacement for sure, since it’s field of vision.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I guess only you can decide if it's worth it or not.

My windshield replacement was done at the service center. They had my car for 2 weeks and did a couple other minor issues. I received a broken speaker grill which resulted in the door panel being replaced (service ordered 3 doors and they all came damaged). On the 4th one they installed, I noticed the panel was scraped on the edge and the leather would probably get worse over time. They had to replace it again but thankfully via a mobile tech. They also scratched the grill under the windshield on the dash. They replaced it and the replacement was dented so now they have to replace that again. I am about 1.25hr from the service center. They also broke the automatic windshield wipers. After they had it for 2 weeks for the windshield they had the vehicle in service for over 2 more weeks to fix the new issues and a couple other ones on the original service they didn't get to.

I had a ton of scratches on the windshield and a big one in my view. If it was something minor I would have skipped it just due to all the additional issues they caused.

Somebody also pointed out to me that my windshield isn't perfectly centered between the pillars when I told them they replaced it. There's also black caulk/glue that is coming out a little on the interior pillar probably due to using excess adhesive. I could probably cut it off with a razor blade but it doesn't bother me.

Others with windshield replacements seem to have had a better experience.
Sponsored