Would you call this a LUXURY vehicle?

Michael W

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Explorer Platinum
I drive rideshare. My current car, a 2018 Explorer Platinum, is NOT considered a luxury vehicle but a Suburban is.

Would you think that this vehicle would be considered LUXURY?
Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Would you think that this vehicle would be considered LUXURY?
Well, Rivian is producing two EAVs, SUV (R1S) and pickup (R1T), but since you currently have an Explorer I suspect you're asking about the R1S?

Regardless, my view is since only a handful of people on this planet so far have sat in and driven each EAV, which unfortunately does not include me, it's hard to say how much "luxury" these EAVs provide. In addition to features it would seem seat and ride comfort along with road handling would be important factors, at least it would be to me. Clearly by your own comment the definition of luxury is nebulous at best which also makes it hard to determine if either Rivian would be a luxury vehicle or not. Hmm, this begs the question who comes up with tagging any vehicle as luxury? The manufacturer? Auto industry? Insurance industry? Auto enthusiasts? The public? The IRS?

FWIW from PocketSense.com ...
"The term "luxury vehicle" is often associated with expensive, high-end vehicles. However, for tax purposes, the term has a different meaning. The majority of all cars fit the IRS definition of a luxury vehicle, regardless of the cost. Trucks and vans, including minivans and sport utility vehicles generally fall into this category as well. Under the IRS definition, a luxury vehicle is four-wheeled, used mostly on public roads and must have an unloaded gross weight of 6,000 pounds or less. All trucks and vans in excess of 6,000 pounds are exempt from luxury vehicle caps."

Hmm, both Rivians have an unloaded gross weight just under 6000 pounds. ... :oops:, sorry, I digress.

Last edited:

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
From the consumer's perspective, I think "luxury" vehicle is more a marketing term than anything else, with the definitional bar moving ever lower with each new model. Rivian is choosing to market itself as a maker of "adventure" vehicles. Whatever it calls it or we call it, it's going to be the same vehicle.

One time as I was riding around with a realtor, I asked him about all the unremarkable apartment blocks I saw going up that were advertising "luxury" units. I asked him what that meant. He said that in realtor lingo it meant the apartment had air conditioning, carpet, and a dishwasher . . . in other words, even many HUD units would qualify.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I adore technology. These vehicles would allow me to wallow in it. As such, yes, they are luxury vehicles.

azjohnny

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S 100D Toyota Tundra
I take the "luxury" title with a grain of salt. They consider Tesla including Model 3 to be in that group. As much as I like the Model 3 IMO it is not a luxury vehicle

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

After seeing the photos from Tierra del Fuego in Argentina all I see is a Toyota Tacoma minus the lawn mower. Sadly disappointed.
By chance were you a Pre-order customer and if so, was it before 20 April? Asking for a friend should you decide to get your money back...

azjohnny

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Meant to be a joke.
On the internet it can be hard sometimes if somebody is joking or not, but I did think it was a joke....:CWL:...sometimes an emoji helps....:like:

Sponsored

azjohnny

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wish that thumbs up emoji was available on my I phone....:like:

EV-X Oregon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Volvo XC 60, BWM X5, Honda Odessey
Occupation
Principal Real Estate Broker
Heated and cooled seats, quiet interior, plush ride, amazing stereo, driver assist packages, and technology forward = luxury in my mind.
Still like a few buttons and knobs for certain controls like volume and heating and cooling : ).
Sponsored