Sponsored

Worst fears came true. My R1T died at a light. Update today(8/18)

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

Update 6/28. Just Got a call from the SC today. The service center received the front dive unit today and potentially could have the truck ready by the end of the week. 7/1 will mark 5 weeks they have had my truck after my 5 days of ownership.
Man that is really unfortunate. I'm glad they set you up with a loaner unit though. In a way you were lucky to get that cause otherwise you'd be in a minivan or something from enterprise for weeks.
Unfortunately this has been my issue with RIVIAN support as well lately. They're extremely quick to pick up the phone, very polite and show great concern for me, but that's really where it ends. They can't seem to move the needle on any of the tickets I've opened with them and they setup a service date that's more than a month out even though I'm 15 minutes from the service center. I'd say this issue of support capability is so far the worst part of my experience with the brand. They're great and polite, just not at all capable. Oh and the communication seems to be very broken. They constantly want me to do more work, like take photos and videos of things that make no sense. I had a rep ask me to "take at least 5 photos of the driveway" ... I refused to do that. What's worse is there is no consistent way to send them the stuff they're asking for. They really need to implement a real ticket tracking system that the customer can easily interact with.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Akay07

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
Man that is really unfortunate. I'm glad they set you up with a loaner unit though. In a way you were lucky to get that cause otherwise you'd be in a minivan or something from enterprise for weeks.
Unfortunately this has been my issue with RIVIAN support as well lately. They're extremely quick to pick up the phone, very polite and show great concern for me, but that's really where it ends. They can't seem to move the needle on any of the tickets I've opened with them and they setup a service date that's more than a month out even though I'm 15 minutes from the service center. I'd say this issue of support capability is so far the worst part of my experience with the brand. They're great and polite, just not at all capable. Oh and the communication seems to be very broken. They constantly want me to do more work, like take photos and videos of things that make no sense. I had a rep ask me to "take at least 5 photos of the driveway" ... I refused to do that. What's worse is there is no consistent way to send them the stuff they're asking for. They really need to implement a real ticket tracking system that the customer can easily interact with.
After this experience, I really couldn't have said it better myself. Everyone I have spoken to has been polite and apologetic but nothing really happens after. After my second email to customer service and receiving the loaner, the local service technician and service team lead in Michigan both called me to say they would be in touch daily on updates. That happened for 3 days and then they stopped calling. But honestly, I let it slide because I was in a loaner R1. If that hadn't happened, there would have been a very different reaction. As painful as it is, they should still communicate any delays to customer once they passed every date they have given me so far.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
@Akay07 , sorry if I missed it earlier on this thread, but you say the "front drive unit" has to be replaced. Does this mean that both the front passenger and driver side motors need to be replaced, or is is only one of the four motors up front?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
@Akay07 , sorry if I missed it earlier on this thread, but you say the "front drive unit" has to be replaced. Does this mean that both the front passenger and driver side motors need to be replaced, or is is only one of the four motors up front?
Both motors are packaged together into a single unit.

ADVNOW

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler JK, JL 4XE
Occupation
Manufacturing
Clubs

After this episode and seeing how much it cost to tow my truck to Richmond, I am going to have to really think on keeping this truck past the 60000 mile warranty. I will make sure to ask the next time I speak to the service tech. The service team in Michigan said it can be done in one day but they like to have two days make sure nothing else comes up.
If its Drive train related meaning anything associated with movement (I'm hoping includes the control module "PC" Brains for motor control) it should be covered up to 175,000 miles or 8 years. Need some clarity on Drive train. I'm assuming all components required to create motion Hardware or software related.

Sponsored

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
After this experience, I really couldn't have said it better myself. Everyone I have spoken to has been polite and apologetic but nothing really happens after. After my second email to customer service and receiving the loaner, the local service technician and service team lead in Michigan both called me to say they would be in touch daily on updates. That happened for 3 days and then they stopped calling. But honestly, I let it slide because I was in a loaner R1. If that hadn't happened, there would have been a very different reaction. As painful as it is, they should still communicate any delays to customer once they passed every date they have given me so far.
Hey could ya finish up with that loaner please...mine goes in next week for who knows how long and I really don't want a Corolla from Enterprise. Thanks in advance. ;)

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

If its Drive train related meaning anything associated with movement (I'm hoping includes the control module "PC" Brains for motor control) it should be covered up to 175,000 miles or 8 years. Need some clarity on Drive train. I'm assuming all components required to create motion Hardware or software related.
Hopefully Rivian considers it to be all-inclusive on drivetrain stuff. I had a cooling pump go out on my Chevy Spark EV and the car went into turtle mode on a busy road, not allowing it to do more than 15 mph. It took a little persuading at the dealer to get them to talk to corporate, but I got the pump replaced under their 8 yr / 100k mile powertrain warranty.

OP
OP
Akay07

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
[/QUOTE]
Hey could ya finish up with that loaner please...mine goes in next week for who knows how long and I really don't want a Corolla from Enterprise. Thanks in advance. ;)
What is wrong with yours? I know you have not had it long. If it's a Forrest green one, then it's the one I had. Its defiently has more wind noise and the ride is a little rougher than mine. They had what appeared to be two other loaner trucks charging when I picked mine up. I agree, that first week with the 2020 Dodge Journey was not the most pleasant experience. I will let you know when I have a specific date and you start pushing to get my loaner.

First Name
Celeste and Dav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Director OpEx
We are waiting on a replacement drive unit ourselves. About 1000 miles on the R1T and no issues until catastrophic failure. Everything shut down on ours. My daughter was in the passenger seat and said "hmmm... I can feel a vibration".. then 3 warnings and a dead stop. All the controls were greyed out so we couldn't do anything but call roadside assistance. They've been very gracious in getting it to a service center 150 miles away and we are just waiting now for a replacement drive. I think we're just going to see things like this happen with the launch edition in particular. New company/new car will have some glitches. It's the life of the early adopter. Yes, it ruined a fun day "Adventuring" - but the truck has been really fun and we can't wait to get it back.
Rivian R1T R1S Worst fears came true. My R1T died at a light. Update today(8/18) 1657288663436

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I wasn’t offered a loaner R1T and had to go Enterprise route, but they do set you up with a rental truck or something comparable. In my case, I got to choose between a truck and a 4Runner so I’ve been rocking a 4Runner for past few weeks.

Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
We are waiting on a replacement drive unit ourselves. About 1000 miles on the R1T and no issues until catastrophic failure. Everything shut down on ours. My daughter was in the passenger seat and said "hmmm... I can feel a vibration".. then 3 warnings and a dead stop. All the controls were greyed out so we couldn't do anything but call roadside assistance. They've been very gracious in getting it to a service center 150 miles away and we are just waiting now for a replacement drive. I think we're just going to see things like this happen with the launch edition in particular. New company/new car will have some glitches. It's the life of the early adopter. Yes, it ruined a fun day "Adventuring" - but the truck has been really fun and we can't wait to get it back.
1657288663436.png
Battery pack and drive unit failures happened in the first year of eTron production too, in addition to leaking sunroofs, charge port doors, etc. Comes with the territory, regardless of manufacturer. And I think Rivian has already delivered more R1Ts than Audi sold in the entire first year of eTrons. I bought a 2019 model built in 9/2019 off the lot in June 2020. I didn't have a single issue (other than a sun visor that wasn't secured) in two years of ownership.

rivian_panda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Genius, Millionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist
I never considered the “what if you break down” scenario as far as the keys go, thanks for the tip. Hoping for a speedy fix for you.
Thats why i wish Rivian do a Pin to drive so i can leave a card in the truck... and it wont start without my pin... even if something breaks into the truck. like you guessed it TESLA!!! LOL

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Hopefully Rivian considers it to be all-inclusive on drivetrain stuff. I had a cooling pump go out on my Chevy Spark EV and the car went into turtle mode on a busy road, not allowing it to do more than 15 mph. It took a little persuading at the dealer to get them to talk to corporate, but I got the pump replaced under their 8 yr / 100k mile powertrain warranty.
This is a particularly good question regarding EV's in general. Not like we have an emissions warranty to cover some of the other stuff.....

Lysdexic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tundra
Any updates? Any guidance on when your truck will be fixed and back in action?

OP
OP
Akay07

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
I fogr
Any updates? Any guidance on when your truck will be fixed and back in action?
No word yet. The SC did call me late last week. The drive unit has been replaced and my truck was charging. They were going to address the other fitment issues from delivery I had already submitted tickets. But looks like there has been no progress on those items(my truck has not moved) or they are waiting on an open delivery date. I assume he would have called excited telling my truck is ready. So, only 6 weeks to replace the drive unit. I was going to call back this week and talk some more with the SC to see where we stand.
Sponsored