Sponsored

Worst fears came true. My R1T died at a light. Update today(8/18)

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
My truck, I got on Saturday, just died at a light on my way home from work. Had to hard reset the truck 4 times to move it 20 yards off the side of the road. Came to a stop at red light and when I hit the accelerator, it lurched forward and i heard a noise. It showed all the usual warning lights. After a reset, I could put it in drive. it would start to move calmly and then the truck would start shaking violently and cut off. Was told to leave it on the side of road and the tow truck would get it. I think it was going to be some time for the tow truck to get it. That was heartbreaking. They stayed on the phone with me for about 20 mins and offered an Uber and I go get my enterprise rent a car tomorrow.... In the future, I would always carry a nfc card with you so they can easily work on your truck. I had to run back to work and get mine and leave it with the truck. I guess now it's a waiting game....

Update this morning....it only took 9 hours for a tow truck company to pick up the truck. I was still taking calls from the tow truck driver and rivian roadside assistance past 1230am.fixes.? Missed work staying up so late with calls from the tow truck and roadside assistance. But my truck finally made it to the SC at 430am.

Spoke to my guide when he got into work. There are no loaners available and basically waiting to see what the SC says about the truck. Asked about the return policy and it he said it would take weeks to be refunded the purchase price. And probably only a new truck if the repairs are extensive.

My guide also said he did a zoom call with the SC manager and lead technician and they would get on my truck when it arrived.....i told him the thing is...my app and text received show the truck to be at the SC since 423am. He said they must have not done inventory....and would send them a message. This has not been a good experience thus far. Not sure what a reasonable expectation for making this right would be.

Last update today (5/27)...they found the truck and blamed the tow truck driver for putting the truck some where else. They won't get to my truck on Tuesday to be able to diagnose the issue. They had other jobs infront of me taking up space. Again, just poor communication from my guide saying I would have that answer today amd they would diagnose that today. I understand stuff happens they may not be able to get to it. Just tell me that up front because he spoke to the service center right before calling me. Continued frustration with this service process on a 5 day old truck.

5/31. Waited patiently to hear anything from the SC until 4pm est. Sent my guide a nice text asking for an update and locating a loaner. He responded promptly saying he would reach out again to SC and see again about a loaner. I recieve no further communication. It's now after my guide's hours(6pm est), and I have no update.... I can check the location of my truck and see its been moved into the garage but that's it....my update is no update unfortunately ..... not sure really what to say or do anymore.

6/1. I sent a lengthy email to a customer service lead today at 11am outlining some of my concerns with the service process and communication from my guide. My guide calls me at 1143am and I missed the call while I'm at work. He left a voice mail that they are going through an escalated engineering diagnostic on my truck to figure out what's wrong and they are thinking the front drive unit needs to be replaced. He made it sound like it was a minor replacement. He said that my SC should have a loaner truck by the end of the week for me. He also said he would update me daily this week. We will see but Hopefully, fingers crossed, Looks like I will have a 3.5 hr drive to Richmond in my future this week. Did my escalation to a customer service lead help? I do not know.

6/3. Update this morning. Spoke to someone in the service department from Michigan (maybe a lead?). They called me and gave me an update on my truck and it is the front drive unit that needs to be replaced. He was very apologetic. They should have the replacement here on Tuesday and my truck should be ready by the end of the week. They have to get the parts from Normal. Those dates may be optimistic based on other experiences in the forum. But having the loaner will make up for time any extra time it takes and I'm good with that. I Reached out to my guide afterwards and I'm lined up to get the loaner on Monday. I'm glad they are making this right and I feel alot better about the situation. The service guys in VA even offered to stay past quitting time to give me the loaner.

6/7 6/7 update. Picked up the loaner from RVA yesterday. The Forrest green is nice in person as well. Definitely liked it the most out of the ones i saw up close charging. The replacement front drive unit delivery has been pushed out to this Friday from today. I suspect it will be pushed out a few more times but I am ok with that because I do have a loaner R1T. It was a long day yesterday on the road but worth it. Took a couple of pictures of some of the other trucks on the lot.

Rivian R1T R1S Worst fears came true. My R1T died at a light. Update today(8/18) Screenshot_20220526-162950_Gallery

Rivian R1T R1S Worst fears came true. My R1T died at a light. Update today(8/18) Screenshot_20220526-162728_Gallery

Rivian R1T R1S Worst fears came true. My R1T died at a light. Update today(8/18) Screenshot_20220607-084316_Gallery
Sponsored

Last edited:

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I always carry a card key for my Tesla in my wallet just incase my phone dies. How long have you had your truck?

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I never considered the “what if you break down” scenario as far as the keys go, thanks for the tip. Hoping for a speedy fix for you.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

ouch

Sponsored

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I would be curious as to what caused it to shake violently. Was it at speed or going slow?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Look on the bright side. You were getting really good range for those 20 yards.

OP
OP
Akay07

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
$I would be curious as to what caused it to shake violently. Was it at speed or going slow?
[/QUOTE]
Look on the bright side. You were getting really good range for those 20 yards.
Haha Thanks....I was killing it. Probably a record

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
Once I passed 5mph, it would shake then shut off the truck
Wow shaking badly at low speed. Did it feel motor related?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Akay07

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
My very uneducated guess is its motor related...I could have sworn I hard a bang when I pushed the accelerator. The truck functioned fine otherwise...ac...radio...gps...etc.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

A guess would be a motor fault and maybe the shaking was one of the wheels dragging (quad motor) and it rotating through the permanent magnetic field? Or potentially the rear axel disconnect?? What was the drive mode?

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Sorry you had to deal with that. Even as a potential owner it is messing with my head. I can't imagine what it would feel like behind the wheel. I hope they take care of it quickly and you don't let it get to you. It will make every trip less enjoyable if you let it.

Did you try to put it on conserve mode to disengage at least two of the motors and see what happens?

This is not a good look for Rivian. Ford has not been able to shake the Found on Road Dead reputation for 118 years. I hope Rivian can preserve the good first impression they have left .

Rivian R1T R1S Worst fears came true. My R1T died at a light. Update today(8/18) 1653608224849

OP
OP
Akay07

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
A guess would be a motor fault and maybe the shaking was one of the wheels dragging (quad motor) and it rotating through the permanent magnetic field? Or potentially the rear axel disconnect?? What was the drive mode?
Conserve

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
This is the same thing that happened to us on a test drive of the dual motor Tesla Model Y. It shook violently and wouldn’t go over 5mph. They told us the rear motor had a “catastrophic failure” …. How often does this happen on electric cars?
Sponsored