Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda ridgeline, Audi TT
Occupation
Firefighter
whereismyr1t,

Iā€™m a firefighter and tend to drive everything pretty hard. My R1T has 22 inch sport and Iā€™m usually in sport mode low, stiff suspension when Iā€™m ripping it around town and for the most part my phone has stayed in place except for a couple of hard breaking situationā€™s.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
The amount of magnetism is driven by three factors:
  1. The alignment of the pad with the sweet spot on your phone.

I like my phone to be all the way back against the beginning of the center console. (the resting against it helps keep in in place too) The pad should be just under the ring circle in the case or the phone. If it's not holding, first make sure the pad is aligned correctly. You can do so without the rubber pad on top.

2. The case itself.

Generally, for a case to be 'Magsafe' compliant, it will need to have a metallic or magnetic ring built into it. Construction of cases vary wildly when it comes to insert and depth. If it doesn't work, try case free. If that works, you may want to consider a different case.

3. Distance from the magnets due to camera bump.

Some of the very large phones have a very large bump that seems to rest right on the bar before the troth at the front of the pad. In this case, you may want to consider reversing the direction of the phone - top of it pointing toward the rear of the vehicle. You'll have to reposition the pad to support this.

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Received my kit today. Hopefully try it out this weekend

jdubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Tesla Model S
Update:

I've printed the solderless connector for the kit, and it has come out exactly how I hoped that it would. The terminal block fits right in, as does the connector for the truck. It snaps into place and everything is held together well.

The print itself is very easy to make. and installation for the entire magnetic pad assembly would only need a small flat head screw driver in addition to the torx and pry tool.

Here is what it looks like. please note the the connector on the right in the picture (and inserted in others) is actually a bare connector -- the same as on the end of the truck cabling. It's used and show here so you have an idea of what the finished product will look like.

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

The below picture is a close up of what the back of the terminal block would look like. Notice the flat head screws. The red and black wiring would go to the distribution block (the grey part) on the pad replacement.

IMG_0709.JPG

So, here is where we go from here:
  • I'm going to be testing this over the next week or so. I'll be on a long holiday driving from PA to NC.
  • I'm going to include these in the next batch of ordering I do for the kits. Yes, that means that I'm going to do another one assuming the vendors for the pads and dc-dc converters are on board.
  • Because this removes the need for the Molex connector, the pricing for the next batch will actually GO DOWN by a few bucks! (Like $3 each)
  • Because there is no soldering, the next batch will be 100% build your own. The build guide posted in this thread prior will be updated to reflect what is needed, but 95% of it will be the same. Build and install time should be less than 30 minute.
Also, orders will be going in for a small batch of the console divider, hanging organizer basket, improved cell phone mount, and a very, very small amount of a 1" version of the cell phone mount.

ETA for everything is late August, maybe early September.
Would you mind sharing the STL file for the new connector? Many thanks for all the great work!

Sponsored

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Can you message me on the site instead of in this thread? We should be talking about the pad here, not USPS woes. In fact, I have a preference not to provide support in this thread at all as every situation is different. You are, of course, very welcome to post about your experience with the product and the purchase.

FWIW, just so you (and everyone knows), I have a unit holdback or two for situations just like this. Regardless, I need your order ID - the bits of your tracking number dont really help as I can't search on this.
Brother, if you didn't anticipate fufillment anxiety here of all places, I got news for ya.

hahaha.

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

Android user here.

Got mine a few days ago and just finished fully installing and initial testing. Took me about an hour in total. This included watching the assembly and printing out the install instructions.

Assembly was good, I followed along on the video and was able to do everything without difficulty. Biggest obstacle is soldering and holding everything in place while working.

Installation was ok, the double-sided tape on the existing pad wanted to pull off the top of the existing charger as someone else posted, so you need to go slow. I had to place a finger on the charging pad while I pulled off the rubber mat.

Overall Results - It works... Charging is good/very good. Mag hold is slight and I need to do some more testing.

Charging actually works! Where as even without a case, my phone would maybe start an actual charge 5% of the time. Now even with a case, it will charge. Without a case it charged slightly faster but for me, it was still charging at a decent pace even with a case on.

Tested at 85%
Phone estimated charge rate
Without case - 28 mins to full
With case - 29 mins to full

I gained 1% while testing and checking so it was actually charging it up.

Magnetism hold is barely there when the mat is over the chargers. I haven't tried driving around yet to see if the phones stay in place. The chargers themselves get a strong snap and hold when used without the mat so it's mostly the mat that causes the loss of magnetism hold.

I am going to test out if the chargers could sit up a little higher as they are ever slightly sunken below the holding case.

Notes for others - As with most things - Test the chargers before you do anything. You don't want to assemble and install only to realize they never worked to begin with.

Context
Phone - Android Pixel 5
Case - Not thicc but not thin either
Mag Rings - Usually needed for Android/Pixel

@RWerksman - Thanks for doing this. It's a great improvement over what was delivered. To Rivian's credit though its the only hardware based thing that I've found to work below my expectations so I am very happy to have something that works for wireless charging now.

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

Android user here.

Got mine a few days ago and just finished fully installing and initial testing. Took me about an hour in total. This included watching the assembly and printing out the install instructions.

Assembly was good, I followed along on the video and was able to do everything without difficulty. Biggest obstacle is soldering and holding everything in place while working.

Installation was ok, the double-sided tape on the existing pad wanted to pull off the top of the existing charger as someone else posted, so you need to go slow. I had to place a finger on the charging pad while I pulled off the rubber mat.

Overall Results - It works... Charging is good/very good. Mag hold is slight and I need to do some more testing.

Charging actually works! Where as even without a case, my phone would maybe start an actual charge 5% of the time. Now even with a case, it will charge. Without a case it charged slightly faster but for me, it was still charging at a decent pace even with a case on.

Tested at 85%
Phone estimated charge rate
Without case - 28 mins to full
With case - 29 mins to full

I gained 1% while testing and checking so it was actually charging it up.

Magnetism hold is barely there when the mat is over the chargers. I haven't tried driving around yet to see if the phones stay in place. The chargers themselves get a strong snap and hold when used without the mat so it's mostly the mat that causes the loss of magnetism hold.

I am going to test out if the chargers could sit up a little higher as they are ever slightly sunken below the holding case.

Notes for others - As with most things - Test the chargers before you do anything. You don't want to assemble and install only to realize they never worked to begin with.

Context
Phone - Android Pixel 5
Case - Not thicc but not thin either
Mag Rings - Usually needed for Android/Pixel

@RWerksman - Thanks for doing this. It's a great improvement over what was delivered. To Rivian's credit though its the only hardware based thing that I've found to work below my expectations so I am very happy to have something that works for wireless charging now.
So, of course being the one to mention testing the charging pads, one of mine failed. Rest of the components seem to be fine and my wife doesn't have a wireless charging phone so I just moved the working one to drivers side for now.

Sponsored

Carmelbythesea

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T & 2020 Tesla Model Y LR & R1S on order
Just installed the MagSafe charger took maybe 15 mins. What a change I can finally charge my phone! I was able to get the whole thing apart with just my handā€™s. Just used the torx to pop off the screws.

I used the double sided tape from rivian pad and itā€™s holding the whole unit together.

Iā€™d say the only challenge is route the main power cord flat so it doesnā€™t pop the unit up on the edge 1/16th.

R1TMDSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5, GMC Yukon XL
Iā€™m offering up one of the pre-assembled units for sale. Seems well constructed and I really appreciate all the work @RWerksman put into it, but just doesnā€™t provide enough hold for my iPhone 13 pro max. If you are interested message me. Iā€™ll sell it for what I paid for it ($120) + shipping.

Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup 380168F4-A30B-4C46-A3BF-E65E5AF295BA

baForest

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sprinter
Installed mine today. Works like a dream. Thank you OP!

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Iā€™m offering up one of the pre-assembled units for sale. Seems well constructed and I really appreciate all the work @RWerksman put into it, but just doesnā€™t provide enough hold for my iPhone 13 pro max. If you are interested message me. Iā€™ll sell it for what I paid for it ($120) + shipping.

380168F4-A30B-4C46-A3BF-E65E5AF295BA.jpeg
I gotta get mine installed and see the results, I have a 13 Pro max as well...
Sponsored