Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Update:

I've successfully printed the first version of the shelf which I'm comfortable publicly sharing. This version has a bunch of improvements over the last version:
  1. Significantly more robust legs that provide more consistent support to the plate and wont just snap off.
  2. Better ledges for the wireless charging pad that provide additional support for that as well.
  3. Two additional supports (the little domed areas) on the bottom of the plate to more structurally stable side to side. Before it would bow slightly if you pressed on the center front front and rear with the high sides being at the driver and passenger sides.
  4. Slight tweaking of the dimensions of the shelf to better just a bit better. The gaps were just a bit too big, IMHO, despite it not really causing an issue. There is still a bit of room there for it to shift around, which is desirable.
  5. Eliminated some printability issues with the STL file.
Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup IMG_0447.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup IMG_0448.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup IMG_0451.JPG

(again, please ignore the finish as it's an artifact of my 3d printer, not the design)

I've published the STL file here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5420183

Other updates:
  • Nothing new on bulk availability yet. I'm working through printability issues before getting a firm quote on producing some. Likely, I'll need to do 50 of these to be not ridiculously expensive.
  • The pad and DC-DC converter are seemingly unavailable right now. I have a bead on where to get both in bulk - I'll need to import them, which might take a bit of time.
  • I can source Posi-taps in quantity now, which is good.
  • My additional pad and converter is now scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

More soon, hopefully...
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
can someone post several pics of both ends of the factory harness and charging pad connector? Instead of posi-taps, it’d be great if we could identify the connector and source the right bits to make it plug-and-play. I bet they’re using an off-the-shelf conmector.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
can someone post several pics of both ends of the factory harness and charging pad connector? Instead of posi-taps, it’d be great if we could identify the connector and source the right bits to make it plug-and-play. I bet they’re using an off-the-shelf conmector.
This thread has some speculation on the connector, hard to say definitively which one is correct: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...-charging-pad-photos-observations.5317/page-2

I’m with you, though. I don’t want to posi-tap those wires.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Really impressive and I would definitely be interested whenever I do get my truck. Should be s00n with my updated Aug-Sep window, but I'm still stuck in the daily disappointment phase of verifying that I still have no guide assigned and a VIN of null.

As a DIY'er, I have always been a disaster. But, I'm always a willing early adopter to assist those with the talents. Based on your prior posts, I'm only about 20-30 minutes from you, so when I do get my truck, I would be a willing volunteer to be a second test bed for any projects or designs you are working on. I'll cover any of your material costs for anything (well, maybe not quite anything) you wanted to work on.

Sponsored

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
Impressive and count me in.

No rush: The R1T Max I have configured is probably 18 months away from being in my driveway. Of course, the upside is that all of the small details for the mod will have been worked out by then.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
FYI - The link below looks to be the other end of the wiring. I purchases a few of them from Arrow using the second link below:

https://www.molex.com/molex/products/part-detail/pcb_headers/0311010041
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/0311010041/molex?region

Like everyone else, I would be thrilled to use it. I'm probably going to see if a dupont connector would fit onto the pins coming from it. Something like below. My guess is no.

Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup 61eE1zN9TbL._AC_SL1500_

One other way to do this would be to solder the connectors directly to the pins and shrink wrap over them. I might also give that a whirl. If anyone has thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them.

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
FYI - The link below looks to be the other end of the wiring. I purchases a few of them from Arrow using the second link below:

https://www.molex.com/molex/products/part-detail/pcb_headers/0311010041
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/0311010041/molex?region

Like everyone else, I would be thrilled to use it. I'm probably going to see if a dupont connector would fit onto the pins coming from it. Something like below. My guess is no.

61eE1zN9TbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

One other way to do this would be to solder the connectors directly to the pins and shrink wrap over them. I might also give that a whirl. If anyone has thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them.
Appreciate you experimenting here. I think for myself and others the important tenet is 100% reversibility to the point you could never tell a modification was made if at all possible.

Last edited:

Mango Lassie

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Welp, my dudes, I've done it. I have successfully replaced the POS wireless charging pad with a Magsafe / Magenetic Qi chaging pad that functions correctly. It's 100% powered using the existing lead in the wireless charging pad cavity and does not require using the USB-C ports in the center console.

I may see if I can source the components here in bulk for a group buy or similar. If you're interested, please post below. Right now, everything here is pretty hard to come by, and the posi-taps are stupid expensive if you're looking for lower quantities.
That's it. Happy to answer any questions!
This looks great; I would be interested in a group buy. Thanks!

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
The connectors as identified earlier are not correct. Please do not purchase / recommend them. Theoretically they can be made to be right however, but I think more research is required.

Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup IMG_0453.JPG

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I'm definitely in for a group buy if you wind up going that route!

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T