Sponsored

Wonder if Rivian's lending R1T's for "secret" Auto/EV publishers or Auto/EV-bloggers to do reviews?

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Curious if right now there are those very lucky, select few out in the real world getting a chance to examine closely and test drive the R1T right now (or very soon). It's quite common for vehicle makers to lend out "near production level" rides to selected reps allowing them to experience it, record/photograph it, and prepare their professional review articles or blogger posts. Recent examples closer to this product's hype are the Bronco, Mach-E, Ionic5, etc. I don't follow Tesla close enough to know if they've ever done this or just go immediately to customers and let the fur-fly in the open market.

I know Rivian is far from a traditional automaker and blazed its own path through the years of product development, testing and getting production ready. However, I am hoping they are (or will be) doing this with at least say a half-dozen carefully selected industry promoters. This sets the stage for a big PR day since participants are sworn to secrecy (no early publication or notification) until the pre-set day of authorized release of info. Doing it this way guarantees Rivian a big day on YouTube and across the internet on nearly every EV and/or automotive outlet - even those that didn't participate always pick up and parrot the story on their own sites.

Not sure if anyone here on this forum has insight or inside info on the prospects of this happening. I for one am all in favor of it! Especially if they were offering up at least one example of "Launch Green" production paint and revealing it this way (wishful thinking). In terms of timing, this kind of big reveal could happen in the latter part of May or more likely in early June just ahead of first vehicle deliveries.

Is this just wishful thinking or a likely thing? ?
Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I sure hope they have a few vehicles in reviewers hands. Usually there’s a media embargo with set date when the reviewers can share pics and reviews. Hoping that embargo date is in early June!

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I Think it would be wise for Rivian to allow access for professional reviews prior to deliveries. If they didn't they are leaving themselves open to the only reviews available being whatever Joe Snuffy posts the day after delivery this could be bad if this person happened to have some undisclosed agenda. Also Imagine all the calls from the auto publications if you were one of the first day deliveries, I'd be selling access to every reviewer I could, probably could pay for the R1T this way.

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Yeah, almost certainly doing this gig....
now this topic gives us something else to speculate about endlessly and contemplate incessantly!

Over / Under on June 4th....

I'm going with Under. Released between Jun 1st-3rd. (I guess if it's June 4th everyone wins? Or loses?)

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Yeah, almost certainly doing this gig....
now this topic gives us something else to speculate about endlessly and contemplate incessantly!

Over / Under on June 4th....

I'm going with Under. Released between Jun 1st-3rd. (I guess if it's June 4th everyone wins? Or loses?)
It's may 6th... I'm going over....

Sponsored

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Curious if right now there are those very lucky, select few out in the real world getting a chance to examine closely and test drive the R1T right now (or very soon). It's quite common for vehicle makers to lend out "near production level" rides to selected reps allowing them to experience it, record/photograph it, and prepare their professional review articles or blogger posts. Recent examples closer to this product's hype are the Bronco, Mach-E, Ionic5, etc. I don't follow Tesla close enough to know if they've ever done this or just go immediately to customers and let the fur-fly in the open market.

I know Rivian is far from a traditional automaker and blazed its own path through the years of product development, testing and getting production ready. However, I am hoping they are (or will be) doing this with at least say a half-dozen carefully selected industry promoters. This sets the stage for a big PR day since participants are sworn to secrecy (no early publication or notification) until the pre-set day of authorized release of info. Doing it this way guarantees Rivian a big day on YouTube and across the internet on nearly every EV and/or automotive outlet - even those that didn't participate always pick up and parrot the story on their own sites.

Not sure if anyone here on this forum has insight or inside info on the prospects of this happening. I for one am all in favor of it! Especially if they were offering up at least one example of "Launch Green" production paint and revealing it this way (wishful thinking). In terms of timing, this kind of big reveal could happen in the latter part of May or more likely in early June just ahead of first vehicle deliveries.

Is this just wishful thinking or a likely thing? ?
The auto press and manufacturers are typically quite symbiotic (Tesla excluded). It's common practice an auto manufacturer to get some early units on hand to actually gauge some feedback to do final adjustments. Many get to the point to hire journalists to consult on feedback. At the same time, these same journalists try to impart a sense of impartiality when reviewing vehicles knowing that their livelihood depends on these manufacturers.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'd like to Sandy Munro get a preview as well.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I'd like it if select, high quality, aftermarket accessory makers get advanced access to the R1T so they can have products available at, or shortly after, launch.

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
I'd like it if select, high quality, aftermarket accessory makers get advanced access to the R1T so they can have products available at, or shortly after, launch.
THIS I could get on board with, absolutely agree. Encourage the aftermarket to engage and get started on awesome accessories.

Giving trucks to journalists before delivering them to pre-orders.... nah. Let the journalists test the same vehicles that Rivian will ship around the country to do in person test drives with. I want mine asap, I don't care what any automotive journalist has to say about it.

As soon as I get mine, Ill take it to sears point drags and see what it will run, and schedule vacation for a trip from Norcal to Colorado and Utah.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I can confirm they are not. Asked my good friend Sofyan over at RR. I truely believe their priority is LE customers first and then journalists.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I can confirm they are not. Asked my good friend Sofyan over at RR. I truely believe their priority is LE customers first and then journalists.
Yeah, I've heard multiple journalists hint at the same and they're basically relying on orders. At least that's what they are hinting at.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I don't think anyone wants to slow down our orders from getting out the door and to us, but I read Road & Track, Car and Driver, and MotorTrend every month. I really want to hear what all of them have to say about the LE R1T. After this long, long, arduous wait, and buildup, I'll bet they all do a very thorough review.

Subscriptions to Mad Magazine, National Lampoon, Playboy, and Sports Illustrated have come and gone over the decades, but the car mags have persisted since before my first new car (a 1980 VW Scirocco "S") was purchased.

I still miss that car......and Playboy.....I just can't remember why ?

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
No "secret" in getting reviews. There is no doubt in my mind that they are engaging in sound business and marketing practices in planning for their production launch. I'm also sure that they have all sorts of agreements in place about news embargoes. You'll know when they want you to know.
Sponsored