First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
I was thinking of possible locations for the la first mile event. Top of my list would be if they rented out the porsche experience center in Carson. It has a long straight for 0 to 60, a track circuit, a large area for slalom, a wet skid pad, and even a off road course with a "small mount porsche". When the mach e was previewed a saw some videos of them turning laps at the center. So I think there's hope. Any socal locals have any other areas/thoughts?

https://www.gaudinporschelv.com/porsche-experience-center-la.html
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chilimac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi eTron
Occupation
Retired
Willow Springs.
I was thinking of possible locations for the la first mile event. Top of my list would be if they rented out the porsche experience center in Carson. It has a long straight for 0 to 60, a track circuit, a large area for slalom, a wet skid pad, and even a off road course with a "small mount porsche". When the mach e was previewed a saw some videos of them turning some laps at the center. So I think there's hope. Any socal locals have any other areas/thoughts?

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Jupiter FL

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

[/QUOTE]
I was thinking of possible locations for the la first mile event. Top of my list would be if they rented out the porsche experience center in Carson. It has a long straight for 0 to 60, a track circuit, a large area for slalom, a wet skid pad, and even a off road course with a "small mount porsche". When the mach e was previewed a saw some videos of them turning some laps at the center. So I think there's hope. Any socal locals have any other areas/thoughts?

No need to overthink this. Perhaps Caltrans would allow Rivian to close down stretches of the 405 and the 101 on Sunday afternoons to allow consumers to do some rock-crawling before upcoming re-paving events.

Acceleration runs of 0 to 15 MPH can be accomplished on most workdays on these same roadways at no cost to Rivian. Of course morning and evening rush-hour could limit the upper end of this testing.

OP
OP
Mcfly Rivian

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mcfly Rivian

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
Ducktruck nailed it, exactly why I won't be doing the at home test drive. Unless you want to test out the selfdriving in traffic.

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

Hungary Valley OHV park in Gorman, Ca. would be a great place for the First Drive. It is about an hour north of downtown LA.

McRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, MXLR+, 2xVolts, MC's
Occupation
Tinkerer
El Mirage Dry Lake. There is a wide variety of terrain in a manageable area.

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
I was thinking they would stay closer to HQ in Irvine. Both BMW and Porsche have used the parking lot at the Angels stadium for driving events recently. Also makes sense being more central between LA and SD making it convenient for both vs farther north in LA.

Sponsored

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
Hungry Valley would be cool for the off-road part, but where for on-road?

The track in Carson would be cool too.

Careychastain

First Name
Carey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MBZ GLE450
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Awesome suggestion…driven by it 1000‘s of times and always wanted to give it a go.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
No need to overthink this. Perhaps Caltrans would allow Rivian to close down stretches of the 405 and the 101 on Sunday afternoons to allow consumers to do some rock-crawling before upcoming re-paving events.

Acceleration runs of 0 to 15 MPH can be accomplished on most workdays on these same roadways at no cost to Rivian. Of course morning and evening rush-hour could limit the upper end of this testing.
close it down? Just have the Rivians use the stopped traffic as the rock-crawling course. Easy!

I don't think they will use another automaker's facility with branding everywhere for a launch event. Bad look.

It'll probably be at WIllow Springs or something.

OP
OP
Mcfly Rivian

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
close it down? Just have the Rivians use the stopped traffic as the rock-crawling course. Easy!

I don't think they will use another automaker's facility with branding everywhere for a launch event. Bad look.

It'll probably be at WIllow Springs or something.
This is a good point, I personally wouldn't care. I like the porsche brand, but don't think they are going after the same buyers.

Aaa California speedway in Fontana could work as well. I do motorcycle track days there. It's a pretty sweet facility.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

GM and at least a couple of others used to do driving events at the former El Toro MCAS, putting the runways to good use. I think the City of Irvine may have removed a lot of the tarmac so maybe no longer a possibility. If usable, it’s close to a freeway, close to Rivian’s HQ, and pretty much halfway between L.A. and San Diego.
Sponsored