Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I see a big need for dc fast chargers in Moab
There’s a free 50kW charger at the Rocky Mountain Power office in Moab. Not super fast, but better than L2.

There’s also an Electrify America 150kW charger in Green River. A little out of the way if you’re coming westbound from CO, but the faster charge might justify the extra 60 miles of driving.

I’m sure we’ll see more 150kW charging in Moab soon.
Sponsored

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
I've used the rocky mountain power station before and it's great to have that available, but it will still take a while to fill a large capacity battery. Moab gets millions of visitors per year to do so many different things (visiting arches/canyonlands national parks, biking, rafting, hiking, climbing, 4wheeling, dirt biking, driving atvs/side by sides) so as long range evs become more common I think there will need to be a station to charge multiple vehicles at once at a fast rate so people can quickly get back to adventuring!

There’s a free 50kW charger at the Rocky Mountain Power office in Moab. Not super fast, but better than L2.

There’s also an Electrify America 150kW charger in Green River. A little out of the way if you’re coming westbound from CO, but the faster charge might justify the extra 60 miles of driving.

I’m sure we’ll see more 150kW charging in Moab soon.

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Thought I'd try and create a thread for those that would like to see a 'RAN' Fast (min 150kW) Charger on one of their regular routes. Maybe Rivian will take a look and try to accommodate our wishes. Once we get an early glimpse of where they are installing chargers it should be easier to decide if you want (or need) to order the larger battery.

I'd ask members to add no more than five RAN charging locations they would like to see. Please check ABRP and Plugshare.com to confirm there are not any in the locations you are requesting.

Home location:
- SF Bay area

To:
- Los Angeles
- Death Valley
- Riddgecrest/Mojave

Desired Charging Station location:
- Kettleman City/Lost Hills (I-5)
- Ridgecrest/Inyokern (Highway 178) - Destination charger at Hotel
- Panamint Springs/Death Valley (Highway 190)
- Yosemite (Highway 120)
- Lone Pine (Highway 395)
New York: in the Catskills (day trip from NYC/2.5 hours); in the ADK park (larger than some states, about 4 -6.5 hours from NYC depending how far you go - both Catskills and ADK are 'forever wild' land).

Around Albany for upstate/downstate transit. Probably somewhere in Central NY and Western NY.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I live in Grand Junction Colorado and we like to mountain bike, boondock camp and drive trails around Colorado and eastern Utah.

1. I see a big need for dc fast chargers in Moab as well as some more level 2 chargers. We go out there to mountain bike, drive trails and camp, usually on blm land a ways out of town. A lot of the mtb trails are too far out of town to ride to while charging and obviously you can't charge while driving the 4 wheel drive trails. With our trailer we could make it there on one charge with the large battery pack but would need to charge again, preferably during a quick trip to town for a meal. It would be great to see level 2 chargers in places like the slickrock trailhead so people riding or camping at sand flats can charge.
2. Ouray Colorado is another area we love to camp and drive the passes and could really benefit from a dc fast charge station.
3. Gunnison Colorado could use a dcfc station to fill in the gap along highway 50. Crested Butte is famous for its mtb trails but Gunnison has a good trail network also and it would make towing between Montrose and Salida more reasonable.
4. At least a Level 2 charging station at Canyonlands needles district would make camping and hiking or driving elephant hill trail there more realistic because it's quite remote.
5. Level 2 chargers at bullfrog marina on lake Powell would make it possible for people towing their boat out there to recharge while on the lake.

I just finished installing 13.68kw of solar on our house so local trips would all be sun powered!

Here's our trailer setup:
20200801_140317.jpg
Great summary of a specific ‘high Interest” location cluster.

Zeppelinpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Optima
Am I the only one here from the Northeast? I have run many scenarios and see some challenges getting to places I go, especially in the winter. Anything north of Boston will help! Attached is a map from plugshare of CSS locations over 120 KW north of Boston. There is almost nothing over 50 kW today when visiting NH, ME or VT that is over. Places I go for "adventure".

A few specific suggestions to help adventurers:

Lincoln, NH A big tourist spot and mid state on I93 that is east of the white mountains and near ski/rafting/hiking/biking locations.
Bretton Woods NH: At the top of the white mountains which gives access to many trails and activities - especially in the winter.
North Conway NH: A big tourist spot east of the white mountains. Just put it at the REI and I can spend my time shopping.
Bangor Maine: Mid state on I95. Nothing specific here but would make the north section of the state accessible for hunting, fishing, hiking, camping...
Lake Placid NY: Big tourist destination and many outdoor activities)
Brattleboro VT: Great town in southern VT
Middlebury VT: College town along an east/west route to Upstate NY.
Acadia national Park in Maine: 7th most visited national park but often forgotten if you are not in the northeast.

We also need more on the NJ turnpike or merit parkway in CT - these are very heavily traveled routes with so many tesla chargers that I am considering a model Y instead. (but really don't want one) There are some CCS chargers in CT and NJ along these routes but they require going off route. (i.e. to malls or off toll highways) Also the Garden State Parkway on the way to the jersey shore. And how about a few on the PA turnpike rest stops?

I would love to see a charging network make a deal with a national chain. Not my favorite but a fast charger at every Mcdonald's would make me go there. Stop, charge, hit the bathroom and get some food. I suggest this just because of their prevalence and location near major roads but I would be fine with any large chain that would be a good location for a 20-30 minute stop. Though limited today, it will be a huge opportunity in the next 5 years.

CSS 120.JPG
NYC Based and Visit NH a lot. Lincoln is an absolute no brainer to me. Right on 93.

I don't know what the BEST location would be for Acadia. In Bar Harbor would obviously be great IF you're going to the park. But it might make more sense to put it in Bangor.

I really hope Rivian doesn't completely sleep on New England.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Thought I'd try and create a thread for those that would like to see a 'RAN' Fast (min 150kW) Charger on one of their regular routes. Maybe Rivian will take a look and try to accommodate our wishes. Once we get an early glimpse of where they are installing chargers it should be easier to decide if you want (or need) to order the larger battery.

I'd ask members to add no more than five RAN charging locations they would like to see. Please check ABRP and Plugshare.com to confirm there are not any in the locations you are requesting.

Home location:
- SF Bay area

To:
- Los Angeles
- Death Valley
- Riddgecrest/Mojave

- Yosemite (Highway 120)
RivianXpress, I’ve already exhausted my five entries to your list, but thought I’d double-back (never, ever “circle-back”) after this thread popped up again with more suggestions. Noting your starting point of the Bay Area, I really want to see the needed charging stations that will allow Rivolutionaries the ability to drive US101 and PCH (CA Hwy1) North from the city all the way to the Olympic Peninsula and Olympic National Park.

I-5 is a great way to get from city to city, but it’s not much of an Adventure. Opening up the Northern California coast, starting with wine country and the Redwoods would be a fantastic start. For those who haven’t seen the Southern Oregon coast and the Oregon Caves, please get busy on Google. Don’t forget the Prehistoric Gardens, Trees of Mystery, the Oregon Dunes, and Sea Lion Caves. You will definitely want to check them out, along with all of our lighthouses.

The entire length of the coast if full of hidden gems along with amazing views while driving. The many State and National Forests are filled with old and new logging roads that should be child's play for a Rivian. Many are loops that will allow you a one-way detour around parts of 101 as you climb through the Coast Range. Some will provide you with commanding views of the Pacific and the coastline.

Winding around the Olympics and crossing the Puget Sound on a ferry into Seattle is worth it, if you have the time. If you’re lucky, the entire journey can provide whale watching opportunities at the right times of the year (especially from the point in the picture).

Frankly, I prefer to drive any of this trip from North to South, so as to be on side of the road with the best views, unobstructed by oncoming traffic. It also gives you easy in-and-out access to the many scenic pullouts, such as the one pictured here, looking down towards Manzanita, Oregon.

While their are many State Parks and other RV parks/hotels, etc. that may provide some 14-50 plugs and level 1 & 2 charge capabilities, that would take way more time than desired to make this trip palatable to anyone on the go.

Rivian R1T R1S Wish List - Rivian Adventure Network (RAN) locations 0966C503-4B93-46B1-B304-8C68CCF24CFA

4mk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S

Home location:
- SF Bay area

To:
- Los Angeles
- Death Valley
- Riddgecrest/Mojave

- Yosemite (Highway 120)

lake tahoe

Pioneer52

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Wagoneer, Jeep CJ 7
Occupation
Retired
Totally agree with suggestions for Utah.
Boulder or Escalante UT,
Highpower charger absolutely needed for an "electric adventure" in the Grand Staircase/Escalante/ Capitol Reef area.
Serve white spots first before putting chargers where dozens are already in place.

Gleeson

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Manager
My wife and I are planning road trips from Minneapolis to the PNW. There is not a route that make sense to get there through North Dakota Need some chargers in North Dakota. Montana and eastern Washington seem to be fine. Give North Dakota some love!!!

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
My wife and I are planning road trips from Minneapolis to the PNW. There is not a route that make sense to get there through North Dakota Need some chargers in North Dakota. Montana and eastern Washington seem to be fine. Give North Dakota some love!!!
You may want to look at MT again. There’s no (non-Tesla) DCFC on I-90 westbound until you get to Bozeman (and both that one and the Dickinson, ND one are only 50kW). That’s over 400 miles, and with the way the wind blows on that stretch, you could easily lose 30% of range. There’s a 150kW charger in Butte, and then good coverage the rest of the way to Seattle, but the eastern part of MT is currently a black hole.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
We're roughly t-minus 100 days to first shipment and no leaks or word on the Rivian Adventure Network locations.

I dont' know about you but I am getting little concerned with only one (Salida?) location guaranteed so far.

Perhaps they will surprise us with a partnership with Tesla?! That's what I'm hoping for otherwise I don't see how they are going to roll out a decent list of operational chargers before the end of 2021.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
We're roughly t-minus 100 days to first shipment and no leaks or word on the Rivian Adventure Network locations.

I dont' know about you but I am getting little concerned with only one (Salida?) location guaranteed so far.

Perhaps they will surprise us with a partnership with Tesla?! That's what I'm hoping for otherwise I don't see how they are going to roll out a decent list of operational chargers before the end of 2021.
I think Rivian is expecting the existing infrastructure to support the early adopters. Even Tesla did not have a Supercharger Network when they delivered their first cars in June 2012 (first Superchargers came online in September 2012). So the development of the RAN is going to be a work in progress for some time.

The Tesla Supercharger Network is pretty good now but they have been building it out coming up on a decade now. It took them 3 years break 500 stations.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
no leaks or word on the Rivian Adventure Network locations.
This is not true. There is another thread all about the RAN station coming in Salida, CO.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

The CCS infrastructure is patchy in much of the country, but the sheer lack of any significant DCFC stations from the Twin Cities west to Butte, in Western Montana, makes I-90 and I-94 pretty much No-Roll zones for now. As Gshenderson points out above, there are a few slower chargers along the way, but little else.

This abyss exists throughout Wyoming, the Dakotas, and much of Montana. The Intermountain West is a sizable Adventure zone and I certainly hope some network, or combination of providers builds a grid of chargers to open it up to all EVs. Perhaps the untouched portions of Interstates 90, 94, 80, and 25 could serve as a test for partnering with Tesla.

Elon seems to have laid down a very comprehensive network here, and I'm guessing Tesla wouldn't mind the extra income from these remote (and possibly underutilized) facilities. Furthermore, I'm sure they'd love the bragging rights that this would garner for them.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
This is not true. There is another thread all about the RAN station coming in Salida, CO.
Cool your jets. Read the next sentence.

Sponsored