I didn't look through all of these. How about:

Taos, NM
Pagosa Springs, CO
Ouray, CO
Moab, UT
Sedona, AZ
Cortez, CO
Gallup, NM
Gallop has EA chargers already (150-350KW). Flagstaff has chargers and is relatively close to Sedona (Chargepoint 50KW, EA 150-350KW). Pagoasa spring also has DFDCs (125KW). Moab only has 50KW.
Sponsored

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
San Francisco Bay Area

-Yosemite
-N. Lake Tahoe/enroute 80 w. room for trailer/boat
-S. Lake Tahoe/enroute 50 w. room for trailer/boat
-Point Reyes
-Big Sur
-Napa/Calistoga
-Gualala

These are the spots I like to go to at least :)
Road trip from Seattle to SoCal in August...Gualala was one of our overnights. That place and all of the NorCal Ranch Coastline is legit!

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
Living in CO I spend quite a bit of time in remote portions of CO and UT. Out of curiosity I started mapping past trips using PlugShare and ABRP and was pleasantly surprised that most of our adventures were possible with time and planning. Granted some charging locations weren't optimal, but did make some pretty remote areas possible. One area that would be almost impossible at this time would be areas around Canyonlands NP, but I expect that when Rivian owners start towing boats to Powell, things will change :)
I am encouraged by what's already available, though -- as you point out -- there are areas that aren't yet possible with an EV, generally the deep wilderness areas.

Maybe Rivian first will target those adventure areas across the US that don't yet have any charging infrastructure, and assume that Rivian drivers will utilize the charging infrastructure that exists for more well-trafficked corridors, at least for the time being.

In addition to National Parks, there are amazing places to visit that are found in National Forest, National Monument, National Wilderness, National Monument, and National conservation areas. Not to mention the state and regional open spaces. I think the rules are that any facility in one of these regions must be usable by anyone in the general public, so Rivian can't install Rivian-only chargers. Or they can set up charging stations near these regions.

MTrivianR1T

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tacoma, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2016 Highlander
Occupation
Self employed
I though try that I was the only one from MT crazy enough to buy a EV. Where do we charge once we get 250 miles from home? Actually 125 cause we have to get back home. We are snow birds who travel to AZ every winter and for the foreseeable future we will be driving the Honda back and forth. Wife would not tolerate stopping for 2-3 hour charges. It will be great to take on the local boys in their Mud Trucks at the Hilltop’s poker run with the R1T. I doubt that any of them can ford 3’ deep bogs. We can form our MT Rivian fan club next summer - membership 2. Keep in touch.
Just read your post. Sooo, there’s two of us in Montana. That’s comforting. Looks like after January of 2021 for me as the longer range R1T won’t go into production till then. I’m only semi retired, still own my own business but with an excellent manager/asst manager to handle day to day things. Would love to introduce a quiet, rugged truck to my hunting, hiking, camping buddies. But have to work out the recharging/refueling situation so as not to embarrass myself and the EV concept in the process.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Just read your post. Sooo, there’s two of us in Montana. That’s comforting. Looks like after January of 2021 for me as the longer range R1T won’t go into production till then. I’m only semi retired, still own my own business but with an excellent manager/asst manager to handle day to day things. Would love to introduce a quiet, rugged truck to my hunting, hiking, camping buddies. But have to work out the recharging/refueling situation so as not to embarrass myself and the EV concept in the process.
I live in UT, but have a place in MT. Spend quite a bit of time up there, and my R1T will be registered to my MT company and have MT plates. So you can count me as another Montanan!

Sponsored

OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I hope Rivian understands it's very difficult for many of us to choose which battery config we'd like in our pre-ordered trucks without having any idea of where the RAN Fast charging stations will be located.

Reactions: Jay

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
There is a threshold of charger density above which one becomes indifferent to the 135/180 battery option choice but the RAN isn't going to be within two orders of magnitude of that threshold for a long time. Thus the clear answer is, for the foreseeable future, "the largest battery you can afford". At least it's pretty clear to me.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

There is a threshold of charger density above which one becomes indifferent to the 135/180 battery option choice but the RAN isn't going to be within two orders of magnitude of that threshold for a long time. Thus the clear answer is, for the foreseeable future, "the largest battery you can afford". At least it's pretty clear to me.
....that is available.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Well sort of. You won't be able to get the biggest battery Rivian for a little over a year but you can order it now.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I wouldn't hate seeing some level 2s mixed in with lakeshore parking all the way up and down Chicago's Lake Michigan coastline. Ideally with some extra driver-side space for grilling from a tunnel kitchen. Great excuse to spend more time at the lake once the pandemic cools off. Side-benefit: A lot of people would be seeing the trucks at beaches like Foster which get a ton of traffic. Fast chargers near Ridge or off Lake Shore Drive Would probably be the most convenient far north side location.

Sponsored

evo7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Marketing
Wish List fo R.A.N. Stations:
  • Page, AZ (Lake Powell)
  • Moab, UT
  • Summit County, CO (Vail, CO / Dillon, CO / Frisco, CO)
  • Ouray, CO (huge mountain destination especially for wheeling)
  • Hooper, CO (near the great sand dunes)
  • Along I-25 in Colorado/Wyoming
  • Locations along I-80 in Iowa and Nebraska (for travel to/from Colorado and Midwestern States)
  • Black Hills area in South Dakota
  • Near Yosemite, Yellowstone, Glacier, and Zion (and all national parks for that matter)
  • Schaumburg, IL / Paletine, IL (or anywhere along I-90 to/from Chicago)

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I'll keep it to five undeserved highways/States. I-80 & I-25: Cheyenne, Casper, Sheridan, Rawlins, Rock Springs, and Evanston, Wyoming, along with Jackson.

I-90 & I-94: Billings, Miles City, and Glendive, Montana, along with Kalispell, Havre, and Great Falls. Whatever is needed to get to visit and cross the Dakotas.

Sun Valley, Salmon, and McCall in Idaho.

For a bonus, please add Burns, Oregon to the list to open up the surrounding area and allow crossing the state away from I-84.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I-80 thru WY is totally void of non-Tesla DC fast chargers except for Cheyenne. We need chargers in Evanston, Rock Springs, Rawlings and Laramie like Tesla has. This is a major east/west corridor and having this huge hole is going to be problematic for many potential non-Tesla EV’ers.
Ditto to all of these I-80 locations. Having to drop south into Colorado and back up through the heart of Utah to access the Pacific Northwest from the eastern U.S. is a huge detour and likely deters some from considering a non-Tesla EV.

I-25, I-90 & I-94 are all lacking any DCFC system just to cross the Upper Plains/Rockies, let alone explore these beautiful expanses. If we want to "Adventure", we need to add vendors!

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Ditto to all of these I-80 locations. Having to drop south into Colorado and back up through the heart of Utah to access the Pacific Northwest from the eastern U.S. is a huge detour and likely deters some from considering a non-Tesla EV.
Without DCFC CCS charging stations in Wyoming, I’ve decided it would probably still be better for the environment to drive an ICE car directly from Denver to Jackson/Montana rather than drive nearly twice the distance in a Rivian. That's a crucial corridor for DCFC but probably not a ton of initial demand.

With Rivian building some charging stations in Salida, I also hope they build something in N/NW Colorado. There is a Tesla supercharger in Kremling but not much on CCS outside a new plug in Steamboat. To be clear, this part of Colorado is terrible and you should never visit, but it would be great to get some more places to charge.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I had an online chat with an Electrify America rep today who told me they have no current plans for chargers along I-80 in WY. :mad: I’m going to start hitting up ChargePoint and Blink as well. If none of those come through, hopefully Rivian will look at this the same way Tesla did and consider it an impediment to selling their trucks and put some RAN stations there. Absent that, our only hope is that the Biden administration will take some action on it. They’ve been pretty vocal about adding tons of EV chargers as part of their environmental policy.
Sponsored