Wish List - Rivian Adventure Network (RAN) locations

stephenheuer

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-tron First Edition, Audi RS3, R1T LE
@stephenheuer - Wondering how you like your e-tron? I was thinking of one, but no third row. Still might get a used one while waiting on the R1S.
We like it quite a bit. We upgraded from a Q5 TDI. With a family of 4 /w two dogs we can fit a bit more in the e-tron then we could in the Q5. However, the frunk is laughably small. We've taken it camping a few times at state parks /w electric hookups (pre covid). We use it to transport our Canoe all the time. It's very capable. Range could be better, but it's good enough for 98% of trips we take. It sounds like a spaceship under 20mph, and since that's the speed limit on side streets in Minneapolis we get a lot of looks driving around town.
Sponsored

Last edited:

stephenheuer

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-tron First Edition, Audi RS3, R1T LE
Here is a recent video of a long trip with the e-tron.

Not gonna lie, I wouldn't mind those massage seats...
The massage seats are amazing. I really wish the steering wheel was heated though.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
And one at Tobies Restaurant & Bakery in Hinkley, MN so I can charge while I eat some caramel rolls.
Heck yes!! Don’t live out there anymore but would love it during summer visits.

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
1. Moab, UT.
2. Yosemite
3. Osceola National Forest, Florida
4. Anastasia State Park, Florida
5. Glamis
Tesla has done a really good job at setting up their supercharger network to get to all the parks in Utah. I’d Rivian to do the same, though I’m sure there are some other options available to get me there.

Get us here, Rivian!

Sponsored

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
I'll tack on Durango, Telluride & Gunnison
Chargepoint just opened a 125kW station in Montrose, but Telluride and Gunnison still need their own. Also Crested Butte has a 62.5kW which is good enough for topping off.

I just noticed Chargepoint has new chargers going in Estes Park, Steam Boat, and Fairplay. The charging networks are expanding fast!

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
Rivian really should add 22kW AC charging. Installing 22kW AC chargers in remote locations would be a lot easier (and cheaper) than 50kW+ DC chargers. Obviously a 22kW charger is slower, but you're looking at about 15% per hour which isn't bad. Especially when you only need a small top off. Imagine stopping for a hike, bike, or activity for an hour or two and adding 15-30% range.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Can't charge a Rivian from AC at 22 kW. Limit is 11.52 kW. So the charger would have to be a DC charger. It is rumored that the Tesla SCs use the same modules as he cars. Why not? So if you are going to put in 2 modules to get 22 kW why not put in 4 - 5 and get 50 kW?

BTW you can buy 20 kW DC chargers and someone even has a clever rig with batteries that charge from the mains at a slow rate and discharge at a much faster rate to fill a BEV in reasonable time. Obviously these can only serve a few cars per day but seem a reasonable solution for locations with low traffic and modest mains connection.

Last edited:

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Tesla has done a really good job at setting up their supercharger network to get to all the parks in Utah. I’d Rivian to do the same, though I’m sure there are some other options available to get me there.

Get us here, Rivian!
Getting there is one thing....but staying there is another....I am pretty sure there are no CCS stations at any of these areas. It would be nice to be able to charge in the area and not have to leave to go charge again...

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Get us here, Rivian!
Last year I had the opportunity to drive from Florida to Seattle twice and both times I took the route through Moab. I made sure that was my stopping point for the day both times. I loved it. As an avid reader of Four Wheeler magazine throughout the '90s, Moab was the one place I always wanted to visit. To wheel around. To explore. I can't wait to plan out my cross country trip in our R1T once we take delivery.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Open PlugShare. Select CCS over 70 kW. Several blank spaces will appear (Montana, Wyoming, Dakotas, Vermont, Main, Maritimes..). Put 5 chargers in any of those places.
DITTO!!!

MTrivianR1T

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tacoma, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2016 Highlander
Occupation
Self employed
Thought I'd try and create a thread for those that would like to see a 'RAN' Fast (min 150kW) Charger on one of their regular routes. Maybe Rivian will take a look and try to accommodate our wishes. Once we get an early glimpse of where they are installing chargers it should be easier to decide if you want (or need) to order the larger battery.

I'd ask members to add no more than five RAN charging locations they would like to see. Please check ABRP and Plugshare.com to confirm there are not any in the locations you are requesting.

Home location:
- SF Bay area

To:
- Los Angeles
- Death Valley
- Riddgecrest/Mojave

Desired Charging Station location:
- Kettleman City/Lost Hills (I-5)
- Ridgecrest/Inyokern (Highway 178) - Destination charger at Hotel
- Panamint Springs/Death Valley (Highway 190)
- Yosemite (Highway 120)
- Lone Pine (Highway 395)
Great idea. I live in NW Montana, home base, Kalispell. I’d love to see RAN fast charging stations in these locations: Cut Bank, MT, Great Falls, MT, Havre, MT, Lewistown, MT and Glasgow, MT.

We have an incredibly diverse and beautiful state with long distances between centers of population and recreation areas. Hunting, fishing, rafting camping all require more fast charging stations even for the larger batteries..

P.S.Mangelsdorf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1940 Chevy EV conversion, 2017 Challenger (daily)
Occupation
Consultant
North Carolina's Outer Banks (OBX) are severely lacking in charging options. They definitely need one at the 4x4 access in Carova/Corolla, and some more charging points between Raleigh-Durham and the beach would be great as well.

4mk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Thought I'd try and create a thread for those that would like to see a 'RAN' Fast (min 150kW) Charger on one of their regular routes. Maybe Rivian will take a look and try to accommodate our wishes. Once we get an early glimpse of where they are installing chargers it should be easier to decide if you want (or need) to order the larger battery.

I'd ask members to add no more than five RAN charging locations they would like to see. Please check ABRP and Plugshare.com to confirm there are not any in the locations you are requesting.

Home location:
- SF Bay area

To:
- Los Angeles
- Death Valley
- Riddgecrest/Mojave

Desired Charging Station location:
- Kettleman City/Lost Hills (I-5)
- Ridgecrest/Inyokern (Highway 178) - Destination charger at Hotel
- Panamint Springs/Death Valley (Highway 190)
- Yosemite (Highway 120)
- Lone Pine (Highway 395)
Lake Tahoe , California side
Sponsored